Cunard: Age and Advertising Strategy

x-press

I got my first Cunard brochure recently.

My eyebrows went up a bit at the (likely) carefully chosen models that Cunard-ival has chosen for the nice, glossy shots. Do they strike anyone else as a bit . . . one-dimensional? Aside from being happy to the point of creepiness, virtually every "passenger" model I saw was a graying-at-the-temples guy or gal with middle age rapidly receeding in their rear view mirrors.

First, while my wife and I are in our early 30's, I actually think I'd be just as put-off by this when I reach Cunard's apparent "target age." I would think Cunard would want to portray their ships as "happening" places where stylish, reasonably successful people of many ages meet and have an amazing experience. The brochure makes them look more like an early-retirement home . . . on laughing gas! :p

Second, given trip reports and postings here, I think this portrayal isn't even particularly accurate. There are some posters here (besides me) considerably younger than that age, and I'm sure many older as well. Families go on the ships. Lenny Kravitz was seen on one of them.

My point? Shouldn't advertising be designed to ATTRACT people to the product, rather than look completely exclusionary? Or are the ships so full that they don't need to do that (unlikely given the discounts that arrive every week or two in my inbox)?

JPS

I don't think the models in brochure photos necessarily reflect reality

regardless of age. When did you ever see a really obese person pictured

in a brochure, an unusually ugly person, a person in a wheelchair, etc.?

Here's another odd twist - you say Cunard's models are a bit older looking

than their typical clientele, now check a Holland America brochure - mostly 40 somethings shown, yet the typical median age is well above

60 on most sailings. HAL has come right out and stated that they are

looking for a younger demographic, so that's who they are depicting in

their promotional material.

I suspect that Cunard is targeting the audience it hopes to get. I am sure it would love a boat full of 20-year-olds paying full fare and planning to cruise Cunard for the rest of their lives, but realistically because of its fares it is more likely to get people well into their careers with the income to spend. I'm surprised that there are not at least some young people depicted in the brochure you looked at, but I've noticed that advertisements for other premium cruise lines also love trim, fit, slightly graying distinguished-looking but fun models to portray their passengers. Also, I suspect your early-30s eyes see those over-the-hill brochure passengers differently than my 50-something eyes, who would see them as average in age and a fun group to spend a cruise with. ;)

My wife & I have taken 3 cruises on Cunard in the last 2 years and are taking another this November. We are in our early 50s and felt we were a bit younger than average but still very much at home and comfortable with the folks we met. Personally, we like the traditional cruise style that Cunard offers as well as the clientele that the brand attracts. And if I had to guess I'd say the incomes (or wealth) of most passengers on Cunard is above average.

Part of the joy of traveling by ship is there are many different cruise lines that cater to the different market segments. I have no interest in travelling on a "fun ship" or climbing a rock wall whilst at sea. If the Cunard material doesn't appeal to you look at the other lines. I'm sure you'll find one that is a good fit. For the most part I think the Cunard literature presents a fairly accurate depiction of what it is like to travel onboard.

During the 2007 full world cruise on QE2, many of the 60 and 70 year olds were alot more youthful, adventurous and interesting than the 30 something year olds who happened aboard for some of the shorter segments...

A picture is not worth a 1000 words...

x-press - do you think all the models are "Stepfords" - Cunard (in my mind and I think many on this board will agree) is valiantly trying to maintain the experience of the Transatlantic Crossing (which is quite different than a cruise).

I once was as young as you (and took my first Cunard crossing at your age - a priceless experience, not to steal a credit card marketing slogan) and now as I look back that incredible experience, the people I met on that crossing had many different years of birth but we all had a common thread - "Only Way to Cross".

Could I possibly explain the gray hair? - these are hard working youngsters who get gray early because of their hard work.

If you are thinking of Cunard, start off with a Transatlantic crossing - forget a cruise which is a totally different critter.

Cunard used to say in their adverts, "getting there is half the fun" - the shipboard experience on a transatlantic express crossing is truly that.

QM2 is the only transatlantic ocean liner in service today - don't confuse her with the cruise ships that cross the "pond" twice a year to reposition.

Off my soapbox now

Best

Crane

Part of the joy of traveling by ship is there are many different cruise lines that cater to the different market segments. I have no interest in travelling on a "fun ship" or climbing a rock wall whilst at sea. If the Cunard material doesn't appeal to you look at the other lines. I'm sure you'll find one that is a good fit.

Do you feel that everyone under fifty must climb rock walls to enjoy themselves at sea? Perhaps Cunard has an opening in their advertising department for you. :rolleyes:

I guess the problem is that Cunard IS the only fit for what I like: Nostalgic, engine-throbbing transatlantic crossings, without the trappings of the "fun ships" you've decided I must like. Much of the clientele will be older, and that's fine . . . I just see no reason to make the advertising so one-dimensional. Show someone gazing at the ocean with a thoughtful look, instead of a Jack Nicholson joker-esque grin. Show a 12 year old (well-dressed, I promise!) grandson being told stories of 1950's ocean travel by his grandfather. Show a young couple leaving for their once-in-a-lifetime honeymoon (the models won't wear jeans, calm down!). Just one shot out of 20 would be a start!

x-press - do you think all the models are "Stepfords" - Cunard (in my mind and I think many on this board will agree) is valiantly trying to maintain the experience of the Transatlantic Crossing (which is quite different than a cruise).

I once was as young as you (and took my first Cunard crossing at your age - a priceless experience, not to steal a credit card marketing slogan) and now as I look back that incredible experience, the people I met on that crossing had many different years of birth but we all had a common thread - "Only Way to Cross".

Cunard used to say in their adverts, "getting there is half the fun" - the shipboard experience on a transatlantic express crossing is truly that.

QM2 is the only transatlantic ocean liner in service today - don't confuse her with the cruise ships that cross the "pond" twice a year to reposition.

Thank you. This is exactly my point. I've been studying ocean liners since I was, literally, about 10 years old, and I've been preparing for my first transatlantic since just about then. Now that I'm finally getting in position to make it happen, I have to wonder if the experience is really still out there. The slowly dwindling number of transatlantics per year and slowly rising length of the remaining crossings seem to "wittle away" at the rich history of these amazing experiences.

Regarding your "priceless experience," meeting very different people with such a common thread: Do you think that can still be had? I hope so, but Cunard would not let you know this, based on its ads.

Do you feel that everyone under fifty must climb rock walls to enjoy themselves at sea? Perhaps Cunard has an opening in their advertising department for you. :rolleyes:

I guess the problem is that Cunard IS the only fit for what I like: Nostalgic, engine-throbbing transatlantic crossings, without the trappings of the "fun ships" you've decided I must like. Much of the clientele will be older, and that's fine . . . I just see no reason to make the advertising so one-dimensional. Show someone gazing at the ocean with a thoughtful look, instead of a Jack Nicholson joker-esque grin. Show a 12 year old (well-dressed, I promise!) grandson being told stories of 1950's ocean travel by his grandfather. Show a young couple leaving for their once-in-a-lifetime honeymoon (the models won't wear jeans, calm down!). Just one shot out of 20 would be a start!

I think, you know, you are perhaps reading too much into the brochure photos! I first sailed on QE2 in my 20s, a late-season transatlantic and have to admit most of the passengers were a good bit older than me. But not all of them. I had a great time, and returned many times over. If you enjoy the style of a Cunard ship - and oh how I agree, who wants a so-called "fun ship", or a rock wall to climb in the middle of the Atlantic! - then do try it. I am willing to bet you'll find many like-minded people whose company you'll enjoy. And also, do keep in mind, that QM2 does a great many crossings as well as cruises, and many young working people simply don't have the time to spend 6 days of their precious vacation time at sea getting from Point A to Point B (even if it IS the only way to cross. And it is). Unless, of course, that is the whole point of the vacation! So go, you'll enjoy, I"m willing to bet!

Well, whether or not the brochure models are realistic or not in regards to the Cunard clientele, I have this strange Saturday morning ritual that involves laying in bed and reading through all my Cunard literature in anticipation of my first crossing.

When I get new brochures, I always note which classic Cunard couple has made it into the next set of propaganda etc etc. Who gets the Grills, who looks most amused at dinner, and oh, what is she wearing this time?

It is a totally cheesy and obsessive thing to do, I admit that up front. But I love it. My apologies to all who cross with me in November. Am a cheeseball.

Well, whether or not the brochure models are realistic or not in regards to the Cunard clientele, I have this strange Saturday morning ritual that involves laying in bed and reading through all my Cunard literature in anticipation of my first crossing.

When I get new brochures, I always note which classic Cunard couple has made it into the next set of propaganda etc etc. Who gets the Grills, who looks most amused at dinner, and oh, what is she wearing this time?

It is a totally cheesy and obsessive thing to do, I admit that up front. But I love it. My apologies to all who cross with me in November. Am a cheeseball.

I know what you mean - just the other day I dug out my Cunard file and pulled out the deck plans from my 1980 QE2 crossing. These were real deck plans - showed the beds, refrigerators, even the bidets. Fun comparing that with the brochures over the years - what cabins got "upgraded" from Columbia to Grill and so forth.

May I offer you a Cheese-it?

See you on board - Crane

Archived