The Little details on cruises that we look forward to when boarding the Oasis!

AlBell509

What little details do you love the most on a cruise, and can't wait to see again on the Oasis (as long as they dont change them)?:confused:

For me I love the fact that in the elevators they put the day of the week down on the floor, we totally loose track of "real life time" on the cruise, because we are having so much fun, and are reminded "oh yes today is tuesday, and if i was home i would be working"

Makes you really live the day out to the fullest! LOL :D;)

One of the things I always look forward to is the "bing" sound the card reader makes when you insert your sea pass, when boarding. I am afraid that that will no longer be present on the Oasis, due to the security screening taking place on the pier, rather than on the ship. It is a small thing, but that sound when first stepping aboard always tells me, the cruise is really starting. :)

Eric

I enjoy playing shuffleboard, its fun to play with family when waiting for the show after dinner, the seapass card because it makes things so much simplier and its a good souviner. and i miss all the frozen yogurt machines!!! i loved those things i use to make the swirl on top of the cone like 8inches!!:D

One of the things I always look forward to is the "bing" sound the card reader makes when you insert your sea pass, when boarding. I am afraid that that will no longer be present on the Oasis, due to the security screening taking place on the pier, rather than on the ship. It is a small thing, but that sound when first stepping aboard always tells me, the cruise is really starting. :)

Eric

Even though that is taking place off the ship I don't think the process or equipment will change. It seems like it will be exactly the same except they will store the equipment at each port in a movable pod rather than on the ship. This will allow for more sets of the equipment than the ship could manage.

I have two favorite parts. The first is the chime at the start of every announcement. I don't think that sound will change with Oasis. My second favorite part is standing on the promenade where it extends to go around the dinning room. It's a great part to feel free from the ship and connected to the ocean. Unfortunately I do not see anywhere like that on Oasis. The closest is the back of the boardwalk but that will not have the same seclusion that made this spot great.

I have two favorite parts. The first is the chime at the start of every announcement. I don't think that sound will change with Oasis. My second favorite part is standing on the promenade where it extends to go around the dinning room. It's a great part to feel free from the ship and connected to the ocean. Unfortunately I do not see anywhere like that on Oasis. The closest is the back of the boardwalk but that will not have the same seclusion that made this spot great.

OH YES I LOVE THAT TOO! *Ding* "This is your captain speaking.." :D

I personally love the smell of a cruise! I know it sounds crazy and I can't really explain it, but it's a combination of sea air and relaxation (if that had a scent!) I still remember the "smell" of our first cruise-it makes me smile just thinking of it.....oh, why so long until the next one.....:(

My ultimate favorite thing was going to the very front of the ship while at sea where the helicoptor pad is on the Adventure of the Seas. It was our first cruise and I've never felt so good! I have a great pic of my fiance and I standing there. I was 20 and he was 21 (he was my legal guardian for the week, according to our sea passes!!!:eek:) And now (or at least in a little over a year from now) I hope to take a similar pic, only 7 years older and we will be in wedding attire:)

I personally love the smell of a cruise! I know it sounds crazy and I can't really explain it, but it's a combination of sea air and relaxation (if that had a scent!) I still remember the "smell" of our first cruise-it makes me smile just thinking of it.....oh, why so long until the next one.....:(

My ultimate favorite thing was going to the very front of the ship while at sea where the helicoptor pad is on the Adventure of the Seas. It was our first cruise and I've never felt so good! I have a great pic of my fiance and I standing there. I was 20 and he was 21 (he was my legal guardian for the week, according to our sea passes!!!:eek:) And now (or at least in a little over a year from now) I hope to take a similar pic, only 7 years older and we will be in wedding attire:)

Bad news if your thinking of taking the picture on the Oasis. The bow is going to be for crew only. Are you getting married on board? If you are you can probably ask to go out there to take pictures, I doubt they would say no to someone having a wedding on board.

Bad news if your thinking of taking the picture on the Oasis. The bow is going to be for crew only. Are you getting married on board? If you are you can probably ask to go out there to take pictures, I doubt they would say no to someone having a wedding on board.

No we're getting married while in St. Thomas. I kind-of figured that there wasn't an area like that from what I've seen of it. I'm sure there will be plenty of other great spaces to take pics though! We'll just start a new memory:) Although, it doesn't ever hurt to ask-nobody can say no to a bride, can they....:rolleyes:

Congrats!!! Thats so nice to have your wedding while cruising!! Very cool!

And i forgot another thing I love... LOL (so many) and yours reminded me of it... At night being anywhere outside front of the ship and the wind blowing and the stars out, I could just sleep on one of the chairs, its just a complete relaxed feeling! A little bit chilly b.c of the wind but still its warm air! Just gimme a sweater and I'll sit out there till the sunrises!... OK thats my goal in sept. next year stay up all night and watch the sun rise then sleep on a lounge chair next to the pool!!! OOOHH CAN I GO NOW!!!

I also love the days of the week in the elevator. That is most likely my favorit little thing.

But i also 'LOVE' when you first walk on to a ship. it doesn't matter what ship it is just that you are embarking on a new adventure, even if you have been on the ship before. Just the feeling that you are finally there!!!!

Cheers,

Mia

What a great thread!!! There are so many things I look forward to. The "Ding" when your sea pass card goes through for the first time, the "smell of the ship"- someone else mentioned it, and I totally get it, but for me... the cruise really starts when I have a Mango Tango in one of those Royal Caribbean glasses (we have too many at home to count) and the steel drum band is playing. It's like a little slice of heaven. I just smile, look around and know that it can't get any better than this. :p I can hardly wait.

Pam

For me it's the first feeling of movement as the ship begins to move... I'm on one of the upper decks with a Mango Tango and a camera. The steel drum band is playing, the wind is blowing, hopefully the sun is out but who cares... (I'm on a cruise), and the ship begins to move away from the pier and head down the channel to the sea. We wave to those on shore as we slowly pass them by.

It's also fun to watch the people on deck. Those who have cruised before and are back at "home", expecting a wonderful week to come. The first time cruisers are so excited they are about to burst knowing they are in for the time of their life! And finally the shoreline as it fades away... I'm sorry, it does not get any better than this!

We can't wait until April, 2010 when we again get to experience this on the Oasis!

----------------------

Sea ya!

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

RCCL Platinum Member

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,

in water there is bacteria." – Ben Franklin

Previous Cruises – 59 Days at Sea!

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2002

RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2003

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 2005

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - 6/18 - 6/25/2006

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - 7/19 - 7/26/08

Planned Cruises

RCCL Oasis of the Seas – Our Friends Cruise - April 17, 2010

RCCL Allure of the Seas – Our Neighborhood Cruise - 2011

The BIG One - Southeast Asia 14 day – 2012?

Princess Cruises - The Med – 14 day – 2013?

Leaving out of Manhattan we sail past the Staute of Liberty and Ellis Island and then under the Verrazanno Bridge.

On Voyager or Explorer out of Bayonne you miss passing by the Statue & Ellis Island. Although if you stand at the stern of the ship you can see the Statue as you turn to sail south. There is only about a foot or two to spare when the ship sails under the bridge on VOY or EXP. Standing on the top deck you get the best view of the NYC skyline! And you can hear the traffic rolling by on the bridge as you sail under.

Everyone should sail out of NY just once to see that view!

In general I just like the whole feel of the cruise experience. The pampered feeling, the excitement, the "I can do anything I can imagine" feeling. Or do nothing at all. Or anything in between.

Leaving out of Manhattan we sail past the Staute of Liberty and Ellis Island and then under the Verrazanno Bridge.

On Voyager or Explorer out of Bayonne you miss passing by the Statue & Ellis Island. Although if you stand at the stern of the ship you can see the Statue as you turn to sail south. There is only about a foot or two to spare when the ship sails under the bridge on VOY or EXP. Standing on the top deck you get the best view of the NYC skyline! And you can hear the traffic rolling by on the bridge as you sail under.

Everyone should sail out of NY just once to see that view!

In general I just like the whole feel of the cruise experience. The pampered feeling, the excitement, the "I can do anything I can imagine" feeling. Or do nothing at all. Or anything in between.

I agree. There is nothing like sailing past Lady Liberty. :)

the sound of the horn blowing as we pull away from the pier for the 1st time....:D:cool:

My favorite. When I was working I would annoy fellow workers and my DW weeks ahead of our cruise by frequently mimicking the sound of three blasts from the ship's horn. It was frequently because every time I thought about our up and coming cruise I could hear the ship's horn in my mind and I just had to let it out.

On the other hand the first thing I want to hear when I get to the pier for a Caribbean cruise is the steel drum band playing,

But once on board the ship I love the unique smell of a cruise! The feel and the smell of the sea air, the smell of the ship and the fruity drinks and the feel of my relax attitude that has put me into a twilight time zone.

the sound of the horn blowing as we pull away from the pier for the 1st time....:D:cool:

For me it's the first feeling of movement as the ship begins to move... I'm on one of the upper decks with a Mango Tango and a camera. The steel drum band is playing, the wind is blowing, hopefully the sun is out but who cares... (I'm on a cruise), and the ship begins to move away from the pier and head down the channel to the sea. We wave to those on shore as we slowly pass them by.

It's also fun to watch the people on deck. Those who have cruised before and are back at "home", expecting a wonderful week to come. The first time cruisers are so excited they are about to burst knowing they are in for the time of their life! And finally the shoreline as it fades away... I'm sorry, it does not get any better than this!

We can't wait until April, 2010 when we again get to experience this on the Oasis!

quote]

Ok wow!!! Reading all those have made me smile! :D and get chills, Is there anything better then being on a cruise!? Awesome responses!!! Thank you! Makes the time waiting to set sail a little easier! :rolleyes::p;)

AlBell509, thanks for creating a great thread. :):cool:

I'd have to agree...all the responses have evoked some great feelings and I'm even more excited about my upcoming Oasis cruise...thanks everyone. :cool::)

Hey, no problem! Its amazing how you may have your own faves untill you hear what other peoples are. Then remember "Oh yeah!!, I love that too!" Its wonderfull how much of those little details go in to a cruise vacation! Thats why cruises are the best vacations! Makes it so special!

Ok wow!!! Reading all those have made me smile! :D and get chills, Is there anything better then being on a cruise!? Awesome responses!!! Thank you! Makes the time waiting to set sail a little easier! :rolleyes::p;)

It's making it harder for me--we don't sail until July but hearing the descriptions is making me long for the experience!

My favorites: The cabin steward turning down your bed at night with the little mints on your pillow and towel animals and the way they always keep your room tidy. I love the sapphire blue color of the ocean in deep water, and the ever present breeze that blows. I love the way the ship rocks me to sleep at night--I never sleep as well on vacation as I do on a cruise ship! I love sunrises from my balcony. And most of all feeling like you are a million miles away from the real world, and having my family there with me to share it all!

• 3 months later...

Archived