What is there to do if you stay on board in port?

drsb

Are restaurants and bars open if you just want to hang out on the ship while in port? I have never done this, but am considering it for my next trip. I don't want to spend $49pp just to go to the beach in Samana and none of the other excursions interest me. I haven't found any good private ones either, so I think I might consider staying on the ship.

Are restaurants and bars open if you just want to hang out on the ship while in port? I have never done this, but am considering it for my next trip. I don't want to spend $49pp just to go to the beach in Samana and none of the other excursions interest me. I haven't found any good private ones either, so I think I might consider staying on the ship.

You could enjoy the Spa (They usually have specials during port days), the restaurants and bars are also open on board, and of course you can enjoy the pool or the jacuzzi.

Samana is a beautiful place and you might be able to do a tour on your own (maybe having other people from your cruise join you for a private tour).

STaying on board can be very relaxing, particularly in what might be really popular ports for everyone else. Things are quiet, laid-back, the pace is slower and calmer. Sometimes you'll find a crew member who actually has a minute to exchange small-talk. Nearly everything is open (occasionally a venue will be closed while they clean or re-stock), the spa often offers discounts, and if you're a pool person, the pool is available! :)

We always stay on board when the ship calls at Great Stirrup Cay. We were surprised this year by how many people did the same. The pool area was actually fairly crowded...not like an at sea day, but far more crowded than it had been in the past. I suspect there were a lot of repeat passengers on our cruise.

My DW and I got off the ship for a quick look around at one of the ports we been to numerous times, and then we went back on the ship. We had the small pool to ourselves with one other couple for about 3 hours, it was actually the first time we went to a pool in all of our 10 cruises since it is usually so crowded. We had lunch aboard and had our choice of tables and no lines in the buffet. It was wonderful, and yes most of the staff was so happy to see you, that quite a few stopped by and talked with us.

I stayed on when we were in Belize last time, I just didn't feel like doing the tender and it was very relaxing. I think we were the only one's at the pool until later in the afternoon, very quiet. I will probably get off in Belize next time and stay on in Guatemala, our experience there wasn't that great.

Thanks everyone! I was afraid everything would be closed. Of course, now I remember the "spa specials" that get put in the daily papers. I always ignored them because I was not planning on staying on board.

I still haven't decided. If we just taxi to a beach on St Thomas and Tortola, then spending money on an excursion might work out. I want to go to Playa Rincon, but everything I read says it is a long bumpy ride to get there. Time will tell. It is nice to know I have options.

Deb

Thanks everyone! I was afraid everything would be closed. Of course, now I remember the "spa specials" that get put in the daily papers. I always ignored them because I was not planning on staying on board.

I still haven't decided. If we just taxi to a beach on St Thomas and Tortola, then spending money on an excursion might work out. I want to go to Playa Rincon, but everything I read says it is a long bumpy ride to get there. Time will tell. It is nice to know I have options.

Deb

I've been to Samana twice.

The first time we stayed on the ship and had a nice day. Bowled, enjoyed the pool, played with the kids. The ship was nice and crowd free.

The second time we booked a private tour to Playa Rincon and had a blast. It was the best organized tour I have ever been on (though we don't take many tours). Yep, the roads are bumpy and the boat over to the beach was open, but my oh my, we had a good time. Fresh fish pulled out of a cooler and grilled, cold beer, and a beautiful uncrowded beach and scenery. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

When Disney Magic first sailed they stopped at their private island and we got off very early on....we enjoyed the island for an few hours and went back to the ship. It was like a ghost ship. We had the pool and the hot tubs all to ourselves. It was awesome. I guess it depends on the port and the ship you are on but you can have lots of choices just staying on the ship without all the crowds. Enjoy! ;)

I travel with my mom and in several ports she just walks off says "I am here", gets back on and enjoys a day of solitude on an almost deserted ship. She does the spa specials on port days and says her massages are usually longer than advertised and not so harried. I plan to start repeating some ports so I can do that too.

I've been to Samana twice.

The first time we stayed on the ship and had a nice day. Bowled, enjoyed the pool, played with the kids. The ship was nice and crowd free.

The second time we booked a private tour to Playa Rincon and had a blast. It was the best organized tour I have ever been on (though we don't take many tours). Yep, the roads are bumpy and the boat over to the beach was open, but my oh my, we had a good time. Fresh fish pulled out of a cooler and grilled, cold beer, and a beautiful uncrowded beach and scenery. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Who did you tour with? We are looking for a tour to Playa Rincon and found that you need a group to book most operators :(

Many times we do not leave the ship or just go off to walk on solid ground for a little while.

Love the ship when all are on shore. Peaceful and quiet. Bars and dinning rooms are open.

Some of the ports we have been to so many times that there basically is nothing to see and I do not like the private islands at all.

I am all for staying on board if you have been to port before, but why not at least walk around the port if you haven't been there before to at least cross if off your list

I don't think I would walk around the Samana port..such as it is. The kids begging were practically hanging on us, kept poking at us, and the private tours were using vehicles that I sure wouldn't want to get into, and except for the one section of shops up on the right, we thought it was a very, very depressing port. If we ever go back, we'll stay on the ship, if we don't go to a beach with a cruise tour. Our least favorite port of all we have been to.

I don't think I would walk around the Samana port..such as it is. The kids begging were practically hanging on us, kept poking at us, and the private tours were using vehicles that I sure wouldn't want to get into, and except for the one section of shops up on the right, we thought it was a very, very depressing port. If we ever go back, we'll stay on the ship, if we don't go to a beach with a cruise tour. Our least favorite port of all we have been to.

Hey Mister , ya wana buy a shell? :eek::p

Who did you tour with? We are looking for a tour to Playa Rincon and found that you need a group to book most operators :(

We booked with casa dorado. If you go on your roll call and ask if anyone else is interested, you will probably get some interest. That's what we did and ended up with 9 people going.

The owner of casa dorado is a retired NY City school principal who was very nice and easy to deal with. She showed us her house, and had the cab (van) stop at a shop on the way back so some could shop for rum, coffee, etc.

You have the option to snorkle before you get on the boat to go to Playa Rincon, but I'd skip that part and go straight to the beach.

I travel with my mom and in several ports she just walks off says "I am here", gets back on and enjoys a day of solitude on an almost deserted ship. She does the spa specials on port days and says her massages are usually longer than advertised and not so harried. I plan to start repeating some ports so I can do that too.

Donna , Im weeping Im laughing so hard. I do the same thing when we visit certain ports.

I leave the ship , says thats that and reboard.

God bless her heart :p

We visited Samana in November, 2008.

I had read on the boards aout Playa Rincon but had not made arrangments in advance. Once we arrived I found that it would be difficult to go there on our own and we decided to take a tour of the area.

I have to say that the tour we took in Samana was not the "best" tour we have ever taken but they sure did try to please.

There were A LOT of tour drivers lined up and hardly any were used. We had a driver and a guide in a nearly new van.

The roads were not in good condition because the people of Samana were going to finally have running water. This is something that we all take for granted.

There was some pretty scenery and we did visit a beach that had a restaurant/ bar and clean bathroom facilities. We stopped at a produce stand and had wonderfully fresh bananas and the guide selected a large mango which was then served at the beach bar we visited.

On the way back we stopped at a small waterfall where a young boy climbed up to dive. We gave him a tip for performing. We did not tip the little boy who had approached our van with his hands held out. This was tough but we have learned from visiting other countries that the little ones who start begging will not go to work if they always receive tips and contributions.

I think that when we return we will do something different but I am actually glad that we had the experience we had.

Many times we do not leave the ship or just go off to walk on solid ground for a little while.

Love the ship when all are on shore. Peaceful and quiet. Bars and dinning rooms are open.

Some of the ports we have been to so many times that there basically is nothing to see and I do not like the private islands at all.

We're doing this tour Nov 4. I'm so glad you enjoyed it because we are really looking forward to it. How long was your ship in Samana? We initially hesitated because of our port time (10am-5pm), but decided to go. There are 20 of us. Can you give your timeline of when you arrived, your tour, and when you got back to the dock to take the tender? Thanks :)

Kathy

We're doing this tour Nov 4. I'm so glad you enjoyed it because we are really looking forward to it. How long was your ship in Samana? We initially hesitated because of our port time (10am-5pm), but decided to go. There are 20 of us. Can you give your timeline of when you arrived, your tour, and when you got back to the dock to take the tender? Thanks :)

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

I think that you meant me so I will answer.:)

I think we had a little longer than you but don't remember exactly. Had a 45 min ride (tops) in each direction and a 20 min or so boat ride.

They were very carefull to get us back to the ship atleast an hour before it was scheduled to leave.

Order your food as soon as you get to the beach as the grillers are on island time.

Have a Caribe for me.

Hi Kathy,

I think that you meant me so I will answer.:)

I think we had a little longer than you but don't remember exactly. Had a 45 min ride (tops) in each direction and a 20 min or so boat ride.

They were very carefull to get us back to the ship atleast an hour before it was scheduled to leave.

Order your food as soon as you get to the beach as the grillers are on island time.

Have a Caribe for me.

I did mean to quote your post! Thanks for realizing it. Silly me :p

I appreciate the info ...and will order my food as soon as we get there.

Thanks!

Kathy

Archived