Need info..Galveston/Rhapsody-help!

Considering cruising on Rhapsody in Aug. with DH and almost 15 yo son. We'd be flying from Detroit.

What options do we have to get to pier from airport if not using cruise shuttles? Prices? If we come in day early, where's the best place to stay?

Will son enjoy his first cruise on Rhapsody? He's interested in climbing wall...any info (included in $ of cruise or extra?)? What about teen program?

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=2>

<param name="day" value=7>

<param name="hour" value=5>

</applet>

For two people, Galveston Limo is your best bet. $35 each. The Tremont and Galvez are both Wyndham hotels and very nice - you can join their Wyndham By Request program for free and get great deals, plus I received a great room (overlooking ocean and pool - this was at Galvez) and a free bottle of wine and whole cheese wheel and crackers, etc. Also unlimited free domestic long distance.

The rock wall is included in the price - but the Rhapsody one is not the spiffiest in the fleet. Kind of added on after they grew popular, I think.

i agree with the hotel glavez. love that hotel!free shuttle to and from pier, great resturant very comfy rooms. for transfers from airport to galveston...depends on which airport you come into. i would rent a car drive to galveston and turn it in that night! always nice to have vehicle to see the sites since it is a lot easier than getting a cab! your son will love the rhaposdy. the teen program from what i have heard is tons of fun.

i have sailed the rhaposdy 2 x's and have loved both of them.

have a great time.

judy

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out & loudly proclaming--WOW--WHAT A RIDE!"

Mariner of the Seas 9/26/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;09;26;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Can't tell you much about the Rhapsody yet, but I will shortly. We are leaving on Sunday. I plan to post a detailed account when we get back.

Follow the link in my signature to my Triumph Tale for an example. I hope to post something similar after our Rhapsody trip.

~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~

Indecision may or may not be my problem.

You can go to my homepage to see all my cruise pictures.

Changinlat's Homepage

Check out my Celebration review!

Celebration Review

Check out my Triumph Tale.

Triumph Review

March to the Beat of a Steel Drum!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;5;16;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Until the Wrap Around Balcony on the Rhapsody 5/16/04!!

NCL Skyward 6/85

Costa Riviera 6/89

RCCL Song of Norway 6/90

RCCL Monarch OTS 6/29/97

Carnival Fascination 6/5/99

RCCL Adventure OTS 5/19/02

Carnival Triumph 6/14/03

Carnival Celebration 9/18/03

We did the Rhapsody in August of last year with our then 15 yo grandson. He loved it! Still gets calls from friends he made in the teen program. We rented a stretch limo from Extreme Elegance for the trip to and from the airport to our hotel and the pick up at the pier to the airport. It was $125+tip each way for the three of us. Really special. Do call other limo services as there was little snafu at the pier with EE. We used Galveston limo on our first trip the previous April. They are actually buses and you have to wait for others but it is fairly organized. It was okay but the limo was ours and ours alone. We also went a day early and visited Moody Gardens. Had a fantastic day! They have a web site, check it out.

We stayed at the Comfort Inn at 2300 Seawall and it was a dump! Avoid it. I saw my first ever cockroach there! I know a lot of people like the Commadore and the Hotel Galvez looked very nice.

The Rhapsody is a nice, friendly ship. She is getting a little frayed around the edges but still quite enjoyable. There is no charge for the rock wall. We had a JS and the three of us were comfortable. It is a nice itineray for teens and a good value. If you have anymore questions, let me know.

Sally

NCL Sky 9/00

RCCL 3/01,5/01,5/02,6/02, 9/02,10/02,4/03,8/03,11/03,

4/04,8/04

HAL 9/04 b2b

NCL Sun 4/05 b2b

Schooner Bar rules!

We were on Rhapsody in Sept/03 for our 14th and it was a very good cruise for the cost.

Do a search on Rhapsody as there are a lot of topics and reviews. There are also reviews on the main page of Cruise Critic.

We would cruise on her again.

Also go to www.galveston.com and you will find info about the city. If you come in early Moody Gardens is a great place to stay and see.

EW

WE LOVE THE WATER AS LONG AS WE ARE ON A CRUISE

brn2crz, you are right about the Comfort Inn & Suites being nice and new. We stayed at the older Comfort Inn at the other end of Seawall.

Sally

NCL Sky 9/00

4/04,8/04

HAL 9/04 b2b

NCL Sun 4/05 b2b

Schooner Bar rules!

What rental car company can you get at airport and leave in Galveston? Any hotels have rental car drop off sites?

Lori

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;10;31;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Until our Oct 31st, 2004 Vision of the Seas Mexican Riveria Girl's Cruise!!

Voyager of the Seas (Jan 2004)

Sovereign of the Seas (Feb 2003)

Enterprise was the only rental car company in Galveston as of 8/03. May have changed by now. Our friends used them. Be aware that the office in Galveston was closed on Sunday. That, too, may have changed but it caused a lot of problems for our friends. They ended up grabbing an empty stretch limo for their return to the airport. They had planned to rent a car and spend the day (Sunday) touring before their flight but Enterprise never showed up! Our limo never showed up at the pier, either. When I called they were mad at me because they had been there the day before and we never showed! All my confirmations had us on the Rhapsody arriving on Sunday. We, too, grabbed an empty limo and made our flight with just minutes to spare.

Hopefully the transportation companys have worked out the bugs by the time you all cruise. I guess the bottom line for reliablity would be Galveston Limo or private taxis.

Sally

NCL Sky 9/00

4/04,8/04

HAL 9/04 b2b

NCL Sun 4/05 b2b

Schooner Bar rules!

I agree that extreme elegance has been getting alot of bad press lately.

Also,if you call enterprise directly,they now have a cruise package that will work with Sunday departures.Also I have read that someone else..I believe Hertz is now doing the same thing.You have to call the Galveston locations to get this info though.

Rhapsody Reunion 9-12-04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;09;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

1_4_51.gif

Hi:

I know what you all mean about the Comfort Inn and the Comfort Inn & Suites. I had a reservation to stay at the Comfort Inn & Suites but by mistake, we showed up at the old Comfort Inn, which was still open but under renovation because it was becoming a Ramada Inn. When I walked into this place, for some reason the lobby reminded me of a place you'd see on the TV show COPS. There were bums and trash everywhere. It was truly a dump. I started thinking twice about whether to stay there or find another place. And the front desk girl had an attitude from hell, she was cussing out a customer on the phone who was trying to make a reservation. By the grace of God, she told me about the new Comfort Inn & Suites up the road. Boy, what a difference. I would highly recommend the new Comfort Inn & Suites if you are sailing out of Galveston. They have covered parking, free continental breakfast, indoor pool and jacuzzi. The rooms have mini-fridges, microwave and plenty of room for your luggage. They also offer parking ($$) and shuttle service for cruise passengers. The only downfall was the price for the room...$160/night. And that was on May 1st. I'm sure it will be more expensive during July. We just stayed there on May 1st. We plan to stay there again for our July 11th and Dec.5th cruises.

Fausto

Thanks for the info on the car rentals. I'll have to call the locations directly and see what I can work out. Has anyone ever stayed at the Best Western Beachfront Resort in Galveston??

Lori

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;10;31;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Do the Stingray City It is a great time. Go early cause it can get to ruff in the afternoon. I know you didn't ask what to do in Grand Cayman but I had to say something.

Rick R.

We did the Rhapsody last Thanksgiving. All 2o of us stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. The rooms were OK. Nothing great but I have seen worse. The staff there were all very friendly. They have free parking while you are gone and a free shuttle service to and from the hotel to the ship. We took a cab to get to dinner. We paid about $80 per room. Pool there is tiny. Continental in am is enough to hold you over until you get to the ship.

burgerjump.gif

Take me to the Lido deck I need another burger!

On the Navigator of the Seas in just...

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;11;20;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Cruisin’ in Colorado

Sunward II '80

Starward '81

Norway '81

Scandanavia '82

Norway '86

Paradise '02

Elation '03

Amsterdam '03

NCL Dawn '03

Rhapsody of the Seas '03

Zuiderdam '04

Glory '04

Navigator of the Seas '04

Plus almost 70 cruises as a crew member way back when.

The Best Western is O.K.

Last stayed there about 4 years ago.It is your typical,older style Hotel.They do have lots of ocean view rooms.One thing I did not like is the remote parking area in the back.There are much better,that are usually not (too)much more.

Oh,and its not a resort...Wonder where they got that from...Maybe because of its close proximity to the San Luis!

Rhapsody Reunion 9-12-04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;09;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

1_4_51.gif

Thanks for the info ~~ I think I will look into Hotel Galvez, Moody Gardens or The Tremont.

I did the Stingray City in Grand Cayman in Jan.

Incredible!!

Lori

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2005;02;13;19;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Until our Feb 13th, 2005, Parents "80th" Birthday cruise on Rhapsody of the Seas!!

Sailed the Rhapsody from Galveston about this time last year. Met a great group on line with cruise critic - we met Saturday night for dinner in Galveston - Rhapsody Rays are you still out there? Anyway, coming from Wisconsin, flying into Houston, we took Galveston Limo - not a limo, shuttle type buses, but very reliable, would definitely use again. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Saturday night - nothing spectacular, but it worked. They did have a shuttle to the pier, but it was less than $10 for a cab so we took the cab. (Shuttle was very crowded - making several trips, but was available). Definitely fly in Saturday, relax Saturday evening/sightsee/eat in Galveston and then get to the port and board early - we were enjoying lunch on board before noon.

We also did this trip in Jan 04 stayed at the Holiday Inn near the Airport for $79.00 a night. We also came from Detroit and a day early. We rented a Enterprise car from the airport for $59.00 a day got a discount on way back so was only $29.00, which was nice because you could stop and see things and go where you wanted to. We stopped and ate lunch before flight home. We dropped car off in Galveston, called cab and they took us right to drop off in front of ship. On way home you call Enterprise they pick you up right out the doors and they take you to the car lot. No problems and was very nice and easy. Would do this again if we went out of Galveston.

Rhapsody of the Seas-Jan 2004

Voyager of the Seas-Sept 2004

Can't hellp you with the shuttle to the pier but can with the hotel.

The Harbor House is right next door to the terminal and you can get up early in the am to watch the ship come in. It is actuall on Pier 21 and has an oyster bar in it with an outside seating area. It was pretty inexpensive.

DW and I walked our bags over to the pier and bypassed all the cars waiting in line. I'm sure your 15 yr old can help with the bags also. Just make sure they have wheels.

This is a link to a webcam that sits on the top of the hotel. It refreshes every 6 seconds so you can watch ships come in and leave.

http://www.galveston.com/webcams/harborhouse/home.htm

Shmthaus

two_fish_kissing_md_wht.gif

Yacht-04.gif

11/02 RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas

12/03 CCL Celebration

11/04 RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas

http://community.webshots.com/user/shmthaus

Boy maybe I need to start a business...I've got an extra room in my house...so, for $200 per couple, I'd pick up at airport (Bush) on saturday, saturday night stay in my extra room, sunday transfer to galveston, and pick up the following sunday and drop off at airport....hmmmmmmm...

Dana

NCL Sea 4/99

NCL Star 11/01

NCL Sun 10/03

RCCL VOS 10/04

Dana - There definitely IS a business opportunity here....I am serious!! Even if you just ran a shuttle......

We use to live in a small town in Missouri, which is an hour and a half from the Kansas City airport. A couple started a shuttle business and they did very well. He was retired military, and there was a military base nearby too.

Marie

HAL - MAASDAM - June 2004/Canada/New England

RCI - Mariner of the Seas,

Sept 2004(CC Group Cruise)

RCI - Rhapsody of the Seas

October 2004

RCI Majesty of the Seas - Spring Break, March 2005

Celebrity Mercury, April 2005

Hi Dana..

Believe me..this is something I have seriously,and still am,considering.Although the cost of gas is starting to be an issue.One hurdle is that the port has serious loopholes to go through to be a "commercial service".My thoughts were if you were not soliciting pick-ups at either location,who would ever know!!!

Rhapsody Reunion 9-12-04

1_4_51.gif

Archived