Walkie-talkies - are they useful?

TMWeddle

In the thread about what would not want to forget - someone mentioned walkie-talkies. I'm wondering if many people bring them on cruises? Are they useful on the ship or in port? Currently when my wife and I go out shopping etc. we can easily call each other on the cell phone but that would not be reasonable price-wise on the ship. If I were to consider a set what should I look for?

Thanks!

They might be useful to the people using them, but can be a -dam nuisance to others around them.

If you do decide to bring some, please be considerate of those around you, and move to a private area when you talk.

If I were to consider a set what should I look for?
We were given a pair by my daughter, but haven't tried them on a ship yet. Just in our neighborhood the range is about 10 houses away, and with all of the steel on a ship I don't think they are going to be very good. On ships we have seen kids running around with them, talking to each other from 20 feet apart, but whether they work for any distance I just don't know yet.

It says in the User's Guide that an FCC license is required, but I'd bet that few people ever bother. I got a license back in the 70's when CBs were all the rage, but don't know if that's any good now.

As far as using them in ports: I wonder if they're even legal in foreign countries?

If you can wait, ask me again in early January! If you are sailing sooner, I'd say buy ones with the maximum range that you can get! :)

We thought about getting them when the kids were younger. Then we sat next to a man in the Lido who screamed at his kids through one - it was so bad, everyone around him got up and moved away. I guess he thought they work better if he screamed, but I think he was using it wrong because the backfeed, squelching noise was awful.

That's when we decided to adandon the idea - plus we found we always knew where the kids were - and they were usually with one of us.

In the thread about what would not want to forget - someone mentioned walkie-talkies. I'm wondering if many people bring them on cruises? Are they useful on the ship or in port? Currently when my wife and I go out shopping etc. we can easily call each other on the cell phone but that would not be reasonable price-wise on the ship. If I were to consider a set what should I look for?

Thanks!

You probably will not need a set, if you both subscribe to International calling service on your cell phone..But be careful about using your cell phones on the ship, as the price is very expensive when you use the ship's tower..:(

We're taking our walkie talkies to use in port only..I don't subscribe to international calling on my cell phone & DH does not have a cell phone..DH is a very fast walker & quite often disappears to take pictures, while my Friends & I are window shopping..

In 2002, we were walking in Rome with Friends, toward the Trevi Fountain...My Friend & I stepped into a pharmacy for throat losenges..We all thought John (DH) heard us, but apparently he did not..When we came out he had disappeared..My Friend, her DH, & I continued on to the Trevi Fountain...Lo & behold John was not there:eek:..We waited for 15-20 min. & then my friends DH, who had been walking slowly behind us, backtracked to look for him..An hour & a half later while we all worried, he showed up...;)

Since then we've taken our Walkie Talkies only to use in Port.. Now it's becoming more important than ever as John is a starting to become a bit forgetful & I don't want to go chasing after him in some port..:eek:

We never use them while on the ship as we can always find each other & don't want to disturb other passengers..:)

Our walkie talkies are quite old..If you decide to buy them, check out Staples, Office Depot or any electronics store..You don't need the best but they should carry about a mile, have many channels, & hold a longer charge than ours do..We always take extra batteries..Ours are Motorola's & cost about $50.00..I'm sure you can get better ones now, for about the same price..

Cheers...:)Betty

I have a pair that I have taken on our cruises. We found them very handy while on board and never had any trouble using them anywhere on the ship. Imo they would be very handy if you have kids along.

As others have said, if you use them please be considerate of those around you.

The ones we have go up to 2 miles and have a stealth mode that is used for hunting. They also have an ear piece with microphone. So any incoming calls cannot be heard by others. This is what we use out in the field for hunting.

We really didn't need them our last trip but once. And even though we forgot the other...we had wished we had it at that time as hubby was just down off the ship and I was afraid he might miss the boat. I sat out on the veranda waiting for him to return from a 'hat hunt' at one port. Would have been nice to have them.

We are planning on bringing them this trip for our lil daughter to be able to call us from the HAL kids club. Even though she is old enough to sign out on her own (age 10, according to HAL) I would prefer we come and get her and her not be alone on the ship at anytime.

Thanks!

This looks like a great buy to me for $60.00..It comes with a charger & an ear bud..

http://www.buytwowayradios.com/products/motorola/motorola-mr350r.aspx

Check out the stores though, before deciding..You might find something just as good & less expensive..

Betty

We used them on a recent family cruise (six of us) and they worked very well. We could reach anyone of us anywhere on the ship. We were considerate how we used them and no one ever seemed to be bothered. You can talk very quietly on them and use earbuds for receiving. Great idea if you want to have separate time with not worrying about meeting up with anyone at a fixed time that might be inconvennient.

According to the FCC, you must have a license to operate with GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) radios that use the GMRS frequencies. You would need to fill out Form 605 and mail to the FCC for your license.

David

pffft! Get real David. I hope that was a joke. ;)

We were given a pair by my daughter, but haven't tried them on a ship yet. Just in our neighborhood the range is about 10 houses away, and with all of the steel on a ship I don't think they are going to be very good. On ships we have seen kids running around with them, talking to each other from 20 feet apart, but whether they work for any distance I just don't know yet.

It says in the User's Guide that an FCC license is required, but I'd bet that few people ever bother. I got a license back in the 70's when CBs were all the rage, but don't know if that's any good now.

As far as using them in ports: I wonder if they're even legal in foreign countries?

If you can wait, ask me again in early January! If you are sailing sooner, I'd say buy ones with the maximum range that you can get! :)

Depends on the make and model John. Hubby did extensive research on what and what not to buy and ours arrived UPS today.

We will NOT be using them on the ship, out of respect to our fellow passengers. But, we will be using them in ports such as HMC, where I will be happily esconced under a Clam Shell, location unknown, while hubby is out on his excursion. He will be able to radio me for directions and whetever. But as I said ONLY on the ports and then not within disturbing distance of fellow passengers. We also bought the ear phones that go with them, so as not to disturb others.

Joanie

The ships seem bigger then life when you first get there, but if you look at the map do some planing and always realize they have phones onboard that you can call your room hanging everywhere. You can even call a store, bar, dinning room or just about anywhere so checking in is easy. The staff at the stores and bars are willing to see if your loved one is there. Always greeted with a phone smile!!!!!!!! Leave the Walkie Talkies for kids on Christmas morning........LOUD ;-}

It's no joke - it's the law. I agree that in practice few people probably bother, but that doesn't change the law.

...so checking in is easy.
Calling around may work if you have some clue where the person is that you are trying to find ... AND that there is a phone nearby that someone will answer. I know of many outside decks on ships where my DW may lounge that no one will be answering a phone. And, of course, it doesn't work at all off the ship.

FCC regulations require a license for the GMRS radios, but as John said - most people don't bother and rarely does anyone get in trouble.

Here are some earlier threads on walkie talkies --

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=968086

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=841597

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=910982

For further information (included in the above threads) -- GMRS and FRS radios are illegal in many countries of the European Union -- they share frequencies with emergency services there. Those countries have different radios (frequencies) for family use. Again, most likely you won't get in trouble -- but you could and there would be no help for you. The fact that they are legal in the US does not forgive you in other countries.

It's no joke - it's the law. I agree that in practice few people probably bother, but that doesn't change the law.

. I know of many outside decks on ships where my DW may lounge that no one will be answering a phone. And, of course, it doesn't work at all off the ship.

So if you know where these places are how did you lose your:confused: DW I'm like an old fart you need to be near me because I'm not hunting for anyone, if you get lost if we are at sea..................see you at dinner unless we take a shower and get room service:eek:

According to the FCC, you must have a license to operate with GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) radios that use the GMRS frequencies. You would need to fill out Form 605 and mail to the FCC for your license.

David

Calling around may work if you have some clue where the person is that you are trying to find ... AND that there is a phone nearby that someone will answer. I know of many outside decks on ships where my DW may lounge that no one will be answering a phone. And, of course, it doesn't work at all off the ship.

I've been under the impression that the FCC has no control over radio's used outside of the United States..Our FCC license was for our boat radio, but I can't remember needing one when we were outside the United States..We never needed one for our hand held outside of the country..HAL ships are considered to be foreign countries, therefore don't believe you need a license to use them, unless the foreign country requires it..

If however, you use it in the United States, technically a license is required..We don't use ours in San Juan..

Betty

This looks like a great buy to me for $60.00..It comes with a charger & an ear bud..

http://www.buytwowayradios.com/products/motorola/motorola-mr350r.aspx

Check out the stores though, before deciding..You might find something just as good & less expensive..

Betty

Whoops...I said $60 when It was actually $70.00 sorry about that..

Found another web site that might int erst you..Best 2 way radios

http://www.galttech.com/research/buying-online/best-two-way-radios.php

They claim you only need a license for certain radios with a one to two mile range..Longer range radio's require a license, but I'm still not sure if it's required when you use it out of the United States...

Quote A lock feature allows you to stay on your particular channel even as you move around. A range of 1 to 2 miles is what most two-way radios will provide. The actual distance will vary as the terrain around you changes. For a longer range, A lock feature allows you to stay on your particular channel even as you move around. A range of 1 to 2 miles is what most two-way radios will provide. The actual distance will vary as the terrain around you changes. For a longer range, you will need to get on a GMRS (General Mobil Radio Service) which will require a special license that the FCC can supply. FRS (Family Radio Service) is the general radio frequency for families and recreational use that two-way radios use. FRS (Family Radio Service) is the general radio frequency for families and recreational use that two-way radios use. unquote

Betty

Archived