Smoking on Balcony

Grey Nomad

I have experienced this on our last cruise. We were enjoying the lovely sunset as we departed a port. A balcony about two down from us were smoking, the stench was revolting!

Officially, there is nothing you can do about it. You could of course complain directly to the people but I doubt that will help.

It is the ONE annoying thing about the balconies :(

Like when you walk the promenade deck on Sun princess and one side is full of smokers. Here you are trying to get some clean sea air and exercise and half of the lap you have no choice but to inhale toxins - it's disgusting!

I have experienced this on our last cruise. We were enjoying the lovely sunset as we departed a port. A balcony about two down from us were smoking, the stench was revolting!

Officially, there is nothing you can do about it. You could of course complain directly to the people but I doubt that will help.

It is the ONE annoying thing about the balconies :(

Like when you walk the promenade deck on Sun princess and one side is full of smokers. Here you are trying to get some clean sea air and exercise and half of the lap you have no choice but to inhale toxins - it's disgusting!

Well you dont have to breath in the disgusting toxins, just hold your breath for a while.......:rolleyes:

i'm not a smoker but they dont have a lot of places to smoke only on the portside so you could always walk up and down the starboard side and they have the right to smoke on their balcony.........princess allows it but if they were on p&o they cant smoke on the balcony

rkmw

Smoking is not permitted except on portside public open areas on P&O ships.. Occupants can incur a $300 fine if caught smoking in the cabin.. including balconies.. you can always complain to the pursers desk..

As quoted from P&O cruise guide

"In the interest of our guests' health, safety and enjoyment during their cruising holiday, smoking is no longer permitted indoors, including cabins, suites and private balconies, on board Pacific Dawn and Pacific Sun. This change in policy is also in line with Australian standards."

And yes I'm a smoker myself but not going to inflict it on others aside from in the designated areas, it's not that hard to go up to one of the open deck areas.. I happily did it in Feb..

Dont forget those that also throw rubbish over balconies and the real nice ones that "spit"...!!!

On our last cruise on a Princess ship the smoking side of the promenade became very smelly after about a week. The ashtrays in that vacinity were not being emptied and I can understand ship staff not wanting to perform this task but there was no provision for the smokers to empty them either:mad:. Being large containers they really stank.

I am a smoker and try to be considerate of those who are upset by it at all times but when situations like the one above arise it doesn't help matters.

The classic was one person who had a mug of tea out on the deck near the pool and just dropped their soggy tea bag on the deck right where they stood!!

Such is the world today...:confused:

Dont forget those that also throw rubbish over balconies and the real nice ones that "spit"...!!!

On our last cruise on a Princess ship the smoking side of the promenade became very smelly after about a week. The ashtrays in that vacinity were not being emptied and I can understand ship staff not wanting to perform this task but there was no provision for the smokers to empty them either:mad:. Being large containers they really stank.

I am a smoker and try to be considerate of those who are upset by it at all times but when situations like the one above arise it doesn't help matters.

The classic was one person who had a mug of tea out on the deck near the pool and just dropped their soggy tea bag on the deck right where they stood!!

Such is the world today...:confused:

one thing i think there should more of on every cruise ship we have been on , is more rubbish bins:D

one thing i think there should more of on every cruise ship we have been on , is more rubbish bins:D

yes i totally agree there should be more rubbish bins

we were on sun princess in august yes we are smokers

but i dont know how you can say it got very smelly after a week on portside it is out in the open air and the ashtrays are very small compared to pacific dawn i think princess need to look into this

i think at least twice a day i saw deck crew putting out the smoking ashtrays because of their size

i remember last year on pacific dawn there were free standing ashtrays on the side deck and there was this little guy who would be there emptying them and cleaning them i take my hat off to him he was great

i am going to try to put this in a way so it doesnt offend anyone

but there are still smokers out there and i think the cruise ships are doing what they can for us for example giving us certain areas for us to enjoy our habit but it seems there is still some people who whinge and whine about smokers even tho they are the ones who are coming into the smoking areas i would never ever impose on their non smoking areas

reality is there is only 2 decks on portside for smokers of all the ship and we are happy with that :)

i am going to try to put this in a way so it doesnt offend anyonebut there are still smokers out there and i think the cruise ships are doing what they can for us for example giving us certain areas for us to enjoy our habit but it seems there is still some people who whinge and whine about smokers even tho they are the ones who are coming into the smoking areas i would never ever impose on their non smoking areas reality is there is only 2 decks on portside for smokers of all the ship and we are happy with that :)

No offence taken. I am not a smoker but my husband is and I won't be joining him when he goes to the 2 areas set aside for him to have his smoke. I'm just glad that there is outdoor areas that smokers can go and that no smoking is inside. It's the same with I'm not a drinker so I wouldn't complain if I went to the pub and there were all these people there drinking LOL. If you don't like smoking don't go near them, I don't. The only thing I would get angry at is if I saw any smoker throw their butts over the side into the ocean, I'd be tempted to throw them in after it. :mad:

Cheers

Jingles.:)

we were on sun princess in august yes we are smokers but i dont know how you can say it got very smelly after a week on portside it is out in the open air and the ashtrays are very small compared to pacific dawn i think princess need to look into this

:)

It was on the Dawn Princess and they had the drum type ashtrays... about 60cm/2ft in height. Staff were emptying them earlier in the cruise but they became sadly neglected later on.

I can understand staff being peeved with having that task and if there was some way to empty them ourselves I for one would not mind. Towards the end of the cruise it was very on the nose in that area.:eek:

I smoke on the balcony and take a "butt bucket" with me and leave it on the verandah. A drink can would also be good for the purpose where regular ash trays are useless out there because of the wind. I saw a lot being flicked over the side and that is not allowed on any ship not to mention how damn foolish it is.

A place where I worked set aside an area outside where a smoke could be had and it was strictly controlled. The usual problem occured though... all the non smokers came over for a chat and the subsequent lectures and complaints about smokers followed... he he, such is life...:rolleyes:

Sometimes everyone should stop and think... is there something that they do too that also annoys someone??:confused:

Why dont they make one deck at the rear of every ship the only smoking area. That way the smell of it would be carried away from the ship.

Just a suggestion.

not a good suggestion, you have to think of the smokers.....they only have the portside and the non smokers have the starboard side

Why dont they make one deck at the rear of every ship the only smoking area. That way the smell of it would be carried away from the ship.

Just a suggestion.

Why dont they go one step further even and tow a tender behind the ship and make all the smokers sit in that :D:D

Sorry Whoey but even though you may not like it, smoking is a legal habit and people are allowed to smoke. And until they totally ban it on the ship then they have to provide a reasonable area for smokers, as they are paying the same fare as non smokers.

An ex-smoker i won't can smokers....i think butt bins are a great idea and should be mandatory........time to ban smoking in the the cabins though.....we had one smoker on the Sun Princess who smoked in their oceanview cabin....the corridor reeked of stale smoke......not nice .... but worse than that was the pax who morning, noon and night drowned themselves in Penetrene or Deep Heat..not sure which one .....now that was offensive and took your breathaway...we know some of the surrounding pax complained but to no avail......before i get shouted down there are products on the market that don't smell and work just as well.......shiona

how you can say it got very smelly after a week on portside it is out in the open air and the ashtrays are very small compared to pacific dawn i think princess need to look into this

:)

Originally Posted by ozinett viewpost.gif

we were on sun princess in august yes we are smokers but i dont know

It was on the Dawn Princess and they had the drum type ashtrays... about 60cm/2ft in height. Staff were emptying them earlier in the cruise but they became sadly neglected later on.

I can understand staff being peeved with having that task and if there was some way to empty them ourselves I for one would not mind. Towards the end of the cruise it was very on the nose in that area.:eek:

I am not a smoker but staff get paid to do a job and if that job entails emptying ashtrays then so be it, I have done it in my time, not always pleasant but someone has to do it, it certainly would not be any worse a job than cleaning toilets and thats what housekeeping get paid to do.Can you imagine what it would be like if the toilets did'nt get cleaned the whole cruise.YUK!!!:eek:

it certainly would not be any worse a job than cleaning toilets and thats what housekeeping get paid to do.Can you imagine what it would be like if the toilets did'nt get cleaned the whole cruise.YUK!!!:eek:

yes very very smelly and to ad there should be more rubbish bins. then may be people wont leave there rubbish on tables on open decks, and let blow all over the place.

.. but worse than that was the pax who morning, noon and night drowned themselves in Penetrene or Deep Heat..not sure which one .....now that was offensive and took your breathaway........before i get shouted down there are products on the market that don't smell and work just as well.......shiona

Hi Shiona

Can you recommend a cream that really works and doesn't smell, please? When DH uses Deep Heat or similar you can smell it for ages. As you say, it is strong! :cool:

Why dont they go one step further even and tow a tender behind the ship and make all the smokers sit in that :D:D

Sorry Whoey but even though you may not like it, smoking is a legal habit and people are allowed to smoke. And until they totally ban it on the ship then they have to provide a reasonable area for smokers, as they are paying the same fare as non smokers.

Smoking tenders......that's the best 'clear air' idea I've ever heard...lol. That way we could have smoke free ships....yay...and we can all pass plates of food to the smokers in the tenders to ensure they eat between smoking their cigarettes...hehehehe:p I can imagine all these little tenders being towed behind these large ships.....:D You're funny sus susy..

Archived