Rome after dark

grapejuice

I have been to Rome several times and have never felt uncomfortable at night. Like any city, big or small, I avoid dark streets/alleys. The heart of Rome is quite alive and busy with people going to dinner, enjoying the cafes, bars, etc. People are out and about in the piazzas, to include Piazza Navona, Campo dei Fiori, the trevi fountain, Spanish steps, and pantheon area. In Trastevere, it's very lively.

Again, just avoid darlk alleys and you'll be fine. Be smart and avoid flashing expensive jewelry and don't carry a lot of money in your pocket.

Enjoy,

Monica

Rome is a major city and has all of the problems go along with that. Monica is right - use your common sense and don't do anything that you wouldn't do in a big city at home at night.

In addition to the dark alleys, in most cities bus and train stations are often problematic. The main train station in Rome, Termini, is quite busy and safe (heavily patrolled) at night but the streets around it can be problematic.

The first time I went to Rome I was by myself, staying in an apartment in Trastevere for a month. For the first two weeks I don't think I left the apartment after dark. Gradually I got more comfortable with my surroundings and realized how much I was missing hiding out every evening.

Be smart and aware and you'll be fine.

I would use the same rules in Rome as you would in any city. But remember, any city that you visit whether in the USA or outside has hazards if you are not familiar with the good and the bad areas. So, know your surroundings and stay on the main streets and ask the Hotel Concierge for advice.

Keith

I have heard more about people having problems during the day than night. The best example is when tourists take the #64 bus, which is the main bus that goes from Termini to the Vatican. It stops at a lot of the major sights. Bust #64 is infamous for pickpockets. A friend of mine and his family took the bus and his wallet was stolen. Unfortunately, he had ALL his cash and credit cards.

When out touring (and this goes for anyplace I visit), I wear a waist-type money belt under my clothing that contains my credit cards and most of my money...unless I have a room safe to use. In my purse is just enough for my lunch and some shopping. I have no problem 'digging' in for my waist money belt to pull out a credit card to purchase something.

Ditto about the area around the train station. If your hotel is in that area, you could take a taxi at night back to the hotel.

Monica

A lot of threads talk about seedy areas of Rome after dark. I have never been to Rome but will be in 2 weeks time. Could anyone in the know please advise on where these areas might be and / or what areas to avoid if any. Thank you

There is seedy areas in almost every major city and Rome isn't different in that regard however, you there are many places that you can go after dark that are well-lit and highly populated with tourists and locals.

Archived