Checking in for flight while on board

crazycruzer68

I posted this same questions a few days ago and the responses I got back said no, use the internet Cafe. A few also suggested having a relative or friend do the check in for you. I assume you flying Southwest and need to get you boarding pass. If so, I since found out they have a new for fee service, that for $10 you can check in early. It's called "Earlybird Checkin". It's not easy to find, but go to their "Tools" section/tab and it's listed there. It's $10 per person, and you get your boarding pass number right after the Business Select and A-List members. They are assigned 36 hours prior to departure so you get your number before the general public.

Generally on my return trip I'll have a friend or family member check-in for me. I did it recently for my parents when they were overseas and didn't have internet access.

Honestly, unless you're flying Southwest or AirTran (AirTran you need to pick your seats) there's no need to do it until you're at the airport.

We were on the Legend in Feb and I checked at the Pursuer's Desk to see if they would check in for our Southwest flight. I also was referred to the Internet Cafe, which I did use. I paid for a one time usage, it took me just a few minutes to do and I think the cost was around $8.00.

I have no desire to set up an account to use the internet while on board, that is not an option. I thought that I read on here once that if you go to the information desk they will check in for you, does anyone know if this is true?

No, they don't offer that service....would be impossible.. Remember, there are a couple thousand onboard.

I fly Southwest to most of my cruises....and I don't buy an internet package either.

When it's time to check in and print the boarding pass, I use the internet cafe. The entire process takes less than 10-12 minutes....and you'll be charged the "by the minute" rate. Shouldn't cost you more that 10 bucks or so...

A chance for a better seat.. The boarding passes can be printed at the airport.

I wouldn't depend on someone else to check in for me to save a few bucks. Besides, you need to print your own boarding pass. What good would it do for them to print it on their computer?

Besides, you need to print your own boarding pass. What good would it do for them to print it on their computer?

I've done this for people flying Southwest. You check them in online. When they get to the airport they go to the machine and 'reprint' the boarding pass.

I wouldn't depend on someone else to check in for me to save a few bucks. Besides, you need to print your own boarding pass. What good would it do for them to print it on their computer?

I've done this for people flying Southwest. You check them in online. When they get to the airport they go to the machine and 'reprint' the boarding pass.
Exactly! Especially if you are checking luggage, since you will have to go to the counter anyway.

Honestly, unless you're flying Southwest or AirTran (AirTran you need to pick your seats) there's no need to do it until you're at the airport.

Unfortunately, that is absolutely not true!

All major airlines use your check-in time for a variety of reasons, such as processing upgrade requests, etc.

Perhaps the biggest, and the one that impacts everyone reading this message is that airlines use check-in time to determine the order in which you may get bumped from your flight if it's oversold. Check in too late, and you may find that even though you paid for one, you don't have a seat on that flight and you're stuck at the airport.

Always, always, always check-in for your flight as early as possible and as close to the soonest they allow, which is typically 24 hours out.

All major airlines use your check-in time for a variety of reasons, such as processing upgrade requests, etc.

Perhaps the biggest, and the one that impacts everyone reading this message is that airlines use check-in time to determine the order in which you may get bumped from your flight if it's oversold. Check in too late, and you may find that even though you paid for one, you don't have a seat on that flight and you're stuck at the airport.

Always, always, always check-in for your flight as early as possible and as close to the soonest they allow, which is typically 24 hours out.

I agree. On one cruise I checked in the night before and my Aunt didn't. Well I had a seat and they bumped her to a later flight. Thankfully after talking to Delta Reps they found a seat for her. Now we always check in.

This might be a stupid question, but why don't they let you do this a week ahead or more. If you do this from the ship say 24 hours before , what does that really tell the airline? You could still be delayed for many of the same reasons if you had checked in 7 days earlier.

What is the purpose of it? And what happens if you check in and then you are delayed on the ship and miss the flight. Is it any worse than if you had not checked in at all?

Learn something new everyday. But even so, I'll show up at the airport 2 hours ahead of time for my flight and in most cases I'll be fine. Chances are good that there will be people running up to the flight later than that and when a flight is oversold, generally speaking it's only by a few people. More than that and it's a highly unusual situation and chances are good something else is going on anyway.

Some of this is a little misleading though, Carnival has now contracted with some airlines, for a program that they are calling "Luggage Express" that you can check your luggage with the ship for a fee (I believe it is $20.00 per bag charge w/Carnival and then usual airline check fees) and they will check your luggage clear through to your final flight destination. HOWEVER it is not with ALL airlines and I don't know if it is with all ships yet. If you use this service, my understanding is that they will print your boarding passes and they will be delivered to your cabin on the last night with all the rest of the forms.

I do know that it will be available to us with NWA/Delta coming off of the Carnival Dream in Feb 2010 and taking our 2 kids for the first time I will be making use of this service so we don't have to mess with the luggage until we get home

Archived