POM to Best Western, transport cost?

CanWeGoYet?

We are staying a day post cruise at the Best Western on the Bay Inn & Marina, wondering what cost is for taxi to the hotel (from port of miami) and also from that hotel to MIA. Their airport shuttle only goes until 11AM, our flight leaves at 3pm so that would be too early. I have no idea how long the drive would be to the airport, but unless it was terrible I doubt we would want to leave so early.

Any guesses on cost of taxi for both trips, or does anyone know of a reliable shuttle that could do it? Or would it be cheaper to rent a car for one day? The place we are staying lets you park for free.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

We are staying a day post cruise at the Best Western on the Bay Inn & Marina, wondering what cost is for taxi to the hotel (from port of miami) and also from that hotel to MIA. Their airport shuttle only goes until 11AM, our flight leaves at 3pm so that would be too early. I have no idea how long the drive would be to the airport, but unless it was terrible I doubt we would want to leave so early.

Any guesses on cost of taxi for both trips, or does anyone know of a reliable shuttle that could do it? Or would it be cheaper to rent a car for one day? The place we are staying lets you park for free.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The ride from the Port of Miami to the Best Western (about 9 miles or so) will cost $25-30 plus tip while the drive from the Best Western to MIA (about 12 miles) will cost about $35 plus tip. Here is a link to a picture:

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/510/medium/Best_Western_1.jpg

I am curious. While I know of nothing "wrong" with this somewhat out-of-the-way older hotel, the only reason cruisers seem to stay there is for its free shuttles to both the airport and the port. If you are not using the shuttles, why did you select this place rather than one of Miami's many nicer and more convenient hotels?

It has fantastic reviews on trip advisor. Great views of the water if you get a bay view balcony, nice pool, locals ride up on their boats to have dinner at Shuckers. I haven't stayed there yet, but to me it looked like a pretty cool place to stay. Bus stops in front of the hotel, gets you to south beach for $2.

Yikes, that is a dreadful picture isn't it?

And it's a much more realistic picture of it! It's a very old MOTEL, in a horrible location with a nasty, dangerous ghetto on one end and a run down decaying beach neighborhood on the other. There are so many better places to stay in Miami I'm at a loss as to why so many people pick this thing. I can only guess it's because they don't have a clue, or they're obsessed with shuttles - which BTW are almost always more of a hassle than they're worth and many end up giving up and taking a taxi anyway!

That's an awful lot of positive reviews for a horrible place to stay. Thank you for the feedback though, I know the pictures they put up on booking sites can be misleading.

Any suggestions on shuttles for this area? SAS can't do it since the transport would be within miami.

of the various reviews and things i have read those that stayed there never mentioned they felt unsafe:confused:

i am staying there in dec so we shall see...several people on my RC are staying there too

i didnt feel like paying taxi from airport and then to POM when i could get the cruise pkg for $20--another thing it was very reasonable compared to other places and i dont need 4/5* hotel i would rather spend that on the cruise and ports:)

That's an awful lot of positive reviews for a horrible place to stay. Thank you for the feedback though, I know the pictures they put up on booking sites can be misleading.

Any suggestions on shuttles for this area? SAS can't do it since the transport would be within miami.

SuperShuttle is the primary shuttle operator in Miami... http://www.supershuttle.com/Miami_airport_shuttle.aspx

Different people have different standards. Keep in mind too that you have to take those reviews with a grain of salt. Smaller mom & pop motels and restaurants have been known to post their own "reviews", and have all the friends, relatives and employees do the same. Not saying that's the case here, but it's known to have happened with other places.

Hope you have a good time and great cruise.

Archived