Elations panama canal - bookings just opened!

LornaT

I think I may have booked that second Cat. 12. All without knowing whether or not we would actually go too! I've got to figure out work issues as well but wanted to hold space figuring we'd just transfer the deposit it to another sailing if we can't make it.

G'Ma - are you buying insurance to cover your non-refundable deposit? How does that work with it being tranferable? I'm thinking I might need to do the cancel-for-any-reason which I've never done before.

Here's the deal, as recapped by the PVP AND on the invoice:

Deposit is nonrefundable. If cancelled, all but 50.00 of the deposit will be held and can be applied towards another cruise with 12 months. After 12 months, it belongs to Carnival. The 50.00 is a fee for changing. The insurance will only cover the NONREFUNDABLE portion of your payment. If you just change dates, that would be the 50.00.

I bought the insurance to cover the entire cost of my cruise and the policy is effect today...because that's when the penalty kicks in. The insurance I purchased (from a 3rd party) covers all nonrefundable fees, baggage insurance, trip interruption/cancellation, evacuation fees (:eek:) and will reimburse for any expenses if I have to fly to catch up to the ship if I've missed it for a covered reason (accident ashore, medical treatment ashore, etc.)

It's a pretty basic policy........several are around.....what you must do is make sure you read and understand all of the terms in the insurance policy. For instance, the one I bought won't cover you if miss the ship because of being arrested....

I hesitate to make recommendations, not wanting "ship" to fall on my head from anyone who might buy it and gets mad or something.... I'll say it's found on insuremytrip.com....just go there and start reading.

All I can say is Carnival is giving you a bargain. The minimum price I see on-line for a solo is $1800. Did you book with a PVP? Do you typically spend a lot on-board, so Carnival is discounting the room assuming they'll make it up in the spa and shops?

Hey, Clav.....500.00 is the deposit.......

I WISH I could get a solo balcony for that amount...especially for a 15-dayer.......:D Heck, I can't get a solo balcony on a 5 nighter for that.....

damn, wish I could go on this. someday I'll be on one of Carnival's Panama canal cruises. Still waiting for them to bring the Spirit over to the east coast and have a new ship do the Alaska/Hawaii cruises. The Spirit's been doing them for years now, I'm suprised Carnival hasn't decided to bring a new ship over for those itineraries.

No balconies available...

Sold out, I guess.

I'm not surprised!!! While I was booking yesterday, the PVP had to clean up my profile that had been garbled beyond recognition... I guess the entire conversation and time on the phone was about 30-45 minutes. I had the website up on my computer with the Verandah deck plan in front of me....was booking a balcony on Verandah.

The cabins were disappearing fast......in fact, I got the last starboard-side cabin when we finally booked my reservation. A few hours later, I went back to have a look.....and there were NONE left. Same with the Cat 12's...even though there were still a few of those.

Many folks are eager to have a balcony for a canal transit....it's a 10-12 hour trip....and this one is a daytime crossing which is absolutely the ideal. Will be interesting to see inventory change on these cabins over the next few months as folks might cancel or change.

Don't give up on a balcony....keep checking. You know there will be cancellations - especially as final payment gets closer.

There are no balcony cabins on Carnival Elation - only the suites have balconies.

The "suites" on Verandah deck are almost the same size as a balcony cabin on other vessels. The true suites are Cat 12. Cat 11 has upgraded decor and amenities but size-wise it could be a Cat 8 on the newer ships.

Several years ago, before the "suite" craze, those Verandah cabins on the Fantasy Class ships were designated as balcony cabins....no "suite" involved.

Carnival can call them whatever they wish but, if it quacks like a duck.......:D

Many folks are eager to have a balcony for a canal transit....it's a 10-12 hour trip....and this one is a daytime crossing which is absolutely the ideal.

It is even better if you have a forward facing balcony ...

Star3-4-2-06.jpg

Jade-PC2.jpg

2484543560095309218S600x600Q85.jpg

Well this sucks! My company rations out our vacation time in a certain number of hours per month and at 6 this morning I realized that to do this cruise I would have to take a week off with-out pay (oh heck no!) so I have cancelled and re-opened up the Cat 12 I had booked (U93) for someone else to take advantage of.

Here's a good point about Carnival, I had cancelled a 7 night next year ES code to book this, because I was switching back to the sailing, not only did they cancel the change fee for switching back they refunded the change fee for booking this sailing ........... says alot about customer service IMHO.

You all have a GREAT cruise ............... okay?

[quote=G'ma;21296210]The "suites" on Verandah deck are almost the same size as a balcony cabin on other vessels. The true suites are Cat 12. [B]Cat 11 has upgraded decor and amenities but size-wise it could be a Cat 8 on the newer ships.[/B]

Several years ago, before the "suite" craze, those Verandah cabins on the Fantasy Class ships were designated as balcony cabins....no "suite" involved.

Carnival can call them whatever they wish but, if it quacks like a duck.......:D[/quote]

But the Cat 11 balconies are less then desirable;) Not to mention way overpriced.......

[quote name='CRUZBUDS']what is the half day stop in Tampa for? Is it to de-bark passengers near a major airport??

Not going - just curious :confused:[/quote]

Passengers on this cruise have the option of getting off in either Tampa or Mobile.

[quote name='Cuizer2']Passengers on this cruise have the option of getting off in either Tampa or Mobile.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. There is a big sign at the entrance to the Mobile Airport terminal that says "you can't get there from here". Unless you want to see Atlanta, Dallas or Charlotte on the way. :D

Can someone who is booked tell me what the port and g'ment fees are?...Last time I tried to book thru the canal the fees were almost as much as the cruise..I'm thinking someone told me the fee to go thru the canal is $200 per person.....Dennis

[quote name='Kurbanfan']But the Cat 11 balconies are less then desirable;) Not to mention way overpriced.......[/quote]

Overpriced, true.

Less than desireable? That's not been my experience on other Fantasy Class vessels. And I love being high up on these smaller ships and far, far forward.

As long as it has a balcony that is not obstructed, I'm tickled.

Personally, I think the Cat 12's on these ships are overpriced too.

So, my options are to pay for an 11, pay for something less or don't go.

Guess what my choice is. :D

[quote name='scperk']Can someone who is booked tell me what the port and g'ment fees are?...Last time I tried to book thru the canal the fees were almost as much as the cruise..I'm thinking someone told me the fee to go thru the canal is $200 per person.....Dennis[/quote]

Total for me port taxes and fees...279.52...I'm a solo, so I guess that would be the per person price.....

Archived