Transportation To Copenhagen

shellyc

We are an older couple, 65 + 64 planning this cruise. I am a little nervous about booking flights from EWR Newark, NJ to Copenhagen. I want to surprise DH and book business class but now the fares are way out of my league. Coach is now $1000 pp r/t.

Our last international flight was EWR to CDG about 5 years ago for the British Isles Cruise.

Since we are travelling in June, we have to pay the summer fares.

I guess I'll wait a bit, any suggestions??

Right now Continental has non-stop coach flights for $653 (see Kayak.com) but business class is ridiculus (sp?) at $2900+. Flights out of JFK are a little cheaper: Iceland Air (good line, I have used it) has business class at $2200.

Glenn

Right now Continental has non-stop coach flights for $653 (see Kayak.com) but business class is ridiculus (sp?) at $2900+. Flights out of JFK are a little cheaper: Iceland Air (good line, I have used it) has business class at $2200.

Glenn

Thanks, we are keeping our eyes open, but since we are flying in June, I don't expect them to go down. We would prefer Newark NJ over NYC airports.

We are an older couple, 65 + 64 planning this cruise. I am a little nervous about booking flights from EWR Newark, NJ to Copenhagen. I want to surprise DH and book business class but now the fares are way out of my league. Coach is now $1000 pp r/t. Our last international flight was EWR to CDG about 5 years ago for the British Isles Cruise. Since we are travelling in June, we have to pay the summer fares. I guess I'll wait a bit, any suggestions??

Hey, ages 64 and 65 are middle-aged! I'm not to those age categories, yet. But, getting close. Those ages are not "older" as I keep telling myself.

On the airfare options from EWR to Copenhagen, I would not wait too long. There are a limited number of flights that are non-stop on that routing. We are doing a cruise in and out of Copenhagen for summer 2010. It's not like going to London Heathrow where there are more flights and tighter competition. Most airlines have trimmed back their number of flights. You can wish and hope for bargain pricings, but I would guess that you might not be that lucky in June on that routing. You might have to give up that "dream and hope", especially in business class. Five years ago the airfare "game" was much, much different than now. In peak seasons, the airlines are seeking to make money and cover some of their big losses in the slower times of the year. The dollar versus the euro is still not ideal. Good luck searching but don't wait too long!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, ages 64 and 65 are middle-aged! I'm not to those age categories, yet. But, getting close. Those ages are not "older" as I keep telling myself.

On the airfare options from EWR to Copenhagen, I would not wait too long. There are a limited number of flights that are non-stop on that routing. We are doing a cruise in and out of Copenhagen for summer 2010. It's not like going to London Heathrow where there are more flights and tighter competition. Most airlines have trimmed back their number of flights. You can wish and hope for bargain pricings, but I would guess that you might not be that lucky in June on that routing. You might have to give up that "dream and hope", especially in business class. Five years ago the airfare "game" was much, much different than now. In peak seasons, the airlines are seeking to make money and cover some of their big losses in the slower times of the year. The dollar versus the euro is still not ideal. Good luck searching but don't wait too long!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I am also looking at the same route from Newark over to CPH for a HAL cruise in July. Question: how much time do I need to allow from getting from the airport to the cruise ship docks? I know that its always risky flying into the port city the same day the ship leaves, but I may need to do that.

The only NYC airport that has direct flights to Copenhagen is Newark. JFK has no direct flights to Copenhagen. From Newark, there are two direct flights per day, one Continental flight and one SAS Scandinavian flight (The SAS flight also has a United flight number). The two flights depart and arrive at almost the same time.

We flew from boston to CPN on Icelandair last June and absolutely loved it. Flight left BOS at 2:30 PM...international terminal was empty at that time. A short 4+ hrs. to Iceland and change flight # (actually cleared in and got back on the same plane!) then a short 3+ hrs. to CPN. How about AMTRAK to BOS or... fly from JFK. We had heard some bad reviews about Icelandair in the past but we couldn't complain. Great food. Seats in coach up toward the front had great leg room. Trick is do not reserve seat ahead of time but have seat assign at airport!

Actually those are very good business class fares. Because of the economy, there are all kinds of specials for business class and what you saw quoted actually is a special. Once the economy picks up, you'll see these back in the $4500 to $6000 range for summer travel.

Continental has a good reputation on their non-stop flights out of Houston IAH to Copenhagen. No one in our office has done the flight out of JFK.

Avoid going through London Heathrow! That is a long hard walk and not a great deal of time to do it.

Copenhagen is a very, very expensive city. Look to your cruise line as a guideline for the cost of transfers. Likely you won't do better on your own.

Archived