Please help me plan Ocho Rios!

Hi Folks!

I havent cruised in a long time (7 years) and I am SOOOO looking forward to a great cruise on December 5 on the Navigator of the Seas. I will be traveling with my boyfriend who I simply adore, and he has never been on a cruise so as the experienced cruiser, I want to make sure that he is happy of course. One of the stops is Ocho Rios Jamaica. I have done the Dunn River Fall and I described it to him and he said "No Way Jose!" Ok so please I need your experienced help!

What can I do with him? (Other than leave him on the ship LOL) Since its our official "vacation" that we have taken in three years we have been together... should I book like a day at the beach, or maybe just a tour of the country side?? He really is just a really relaxed type of guy (he is an avid fisherman however he does not want to fish on this trip since we live in Florida and we fish all the time) he loves history and to see something different. So any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much. If you could give me opinions and past experiences along with information I will be very very grateful!

Claudia

welcome to the boards first of all. Why don't you do the Sandals Beach break, all inclusive at the Sandals property right there, relaxing beach day with access to the water sports, all restaurants and unlimited drinks. There are a few water type tours there like river tubing etc, but it doesn't seem like he might be into them.

Other suggestion is why don't you let him go through the list of tours and see what does appeal to him.

Hi Folks!

I havent cruised in a long time (7 years) and I am SOOOO looking forward to a great cruise on December 5 on the Navigator of the Seas. I will be traveling with my boyfriend who I simply adore, and he has never been on a cruise so as the experienced cruiser, I want to make sure that he is happy of course. One of the stops is Ocho Rios Jamaica. I have done the Dunn River Fall and I described it to him and he said "No Way Jose!" Ok so please I need your experienced help!

What can I do with him? (Other than leave him on the ship LOL) Since its our official "vacation" that we have taken in three years we have been together... should I book like a day at the beach, or maybe just a tour of the country side?? He really is just a really relaxed type of guy (he is an avid fisherman however he does not want to fish on this trip since we live in Florida and we fish all the time) he loves history and to see something different. So any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much. If you could give me opinions and past experiences along with information I will be very very grateful!

Claudia

Hi Claudia

On behalf of Jamaica and other Jamaicans like myself welcome!

If you don't wish for Dunn's River then consider Coyaba River Garden and Museum. It's a beautiful botanical garden with wonderful but fun waterfall.

Sunset Jamaica Grande is a resort close to the pier, good food, nice pools and a really nice beach. Go the Jamaica port of call and check out some of the tours guides used by others. If you wish for less touristy things then consider a visit to a local school. If you are into Reggae or anything Reggae then a drive from Ocho Rios through Fern Gully, a rain forest, through the local town of Claremont ending at 9 Miles, Bob Marley's birth place. On your way back stop in Browns' Town at a local market where you can get everything from fresh fruits to designers bags. Other possibilities are Firefly in Runaway bay, where fire dances on water or even a day at Hendonism, where dress code is of a different kind.

Check out my Ocho Rios album and contact me for more informtion if you wish.

Iree Mom

Margaritaville...it's about a 5-minute walk from the dock. Loads of Jimmy Buffet tunes, plenty of dancing, slide into on-site pool, small beach, and TONS of fun!! Local guys provide day-long party entertainment! Everyone goes there! You'll get a real Cheeseburger in Paradise there ($$$$) and it's worth the chintzy $15.00 T-shirt just to say you've been there! The store is in front of the bar/dance area. Bring some real $$$$$ when you go, and keep any valuables in your cabin safe. I just brought US cash..stuffed here, and there, and there. Didn't bring CC or Passport, as the ship is right there, and is fairly easy to get back. I wouldn't do this in other ports, but Ocho Rios Margaritaville is a real blast!! Felt safe the whole time!

We did a wonderful "White River Tubing" excursion through the ship. It was the perfect balance of relaxing and exciting. There were plenty of guides to be sure everyone stayed together. Sometimes you were just floating in the sun and then once in a while you went through more of a rapids. It was really wonderful!

Margaritaville...it's about a 5-minute walk from the dock. Loads of Jimmy Buffet tunes, plenty of dancing, slide into on-site pool, small beach, and TONS of fun!! Local guys provide day-long party entertainment! Everyone goes there! You'll get a real Cheeseburger in Paradise there ($$$$) and it's worth the chintzy $15.00 T-shirt just to say you've been there! The store is in front of the bar/dance area. Bring some real $$$$$ when you go, and keep any valuables in your cabin safe. I just brought US cash..stuffed here, and there, and there. Didn't bring CC or Passport, as the ship is right there, and is fairly easy to get back. I wouldn't do this in other ports, but Ocho Rios Margaritaville is a real blast!! Felt safe the whole time!

This sounds great, but I was wondering if you can rent a beach chair and beach it there for a few hours? Is the beach too crowded? :confused:

I have to recommend the Jamaican bobsled which is about 5 minutes from the port. My husband and I took our boys, 12 and 10, and had just as much fun as them riding it down the mountain. There is also a zipline. Afterwards, we went to Margaritaville. You can rent chairs there from a separate vendor on the beach.

This sounds great, but I was wondering if you can rent a beach chair and beach it there for a few hours? Is the beach too crowded?

I have never noticed the beach being crowded. We usually stop at Margaritaville for a few drinks on our way back to the ship. LOVE Jamaica! If your boyfriend does not want to Dunn's River, but wants to see Fern Gully and the spots that kooljamming mentioned, you might be able to book a tour with the guide we have used ~ Pete Taylor. He does tours that include Dunn's River and Fern Gully, with a stop at a local school, but I think he does customized tours as well. You can probably find a lot of info on him on the Jamaica boards. He is wonderful.

Another option, and I'm not sure what the excursion is called or if your ship offers it, is a party boat and parasailling. Rum punch, great music. Grab lunch at a local restaurant in town. Then you could do a bit of shopping near the ship (if you like coffee try Jablum), head to Margaritaville for a few drinks and hang either on their patio or on the beach.

WOW! You guys are amazing! Thank you ALL so much for your wonderful advice. I am really liking the Margaritaville, Fern Gully, and although the white tubing sounds devine I did mention it to him previously and I got the same response...No way! LOL Hes' 36 years old but man hes like ultra cautious or something..oh well....

Also has anyone ever done the horseback riding by the beach? I would love to do it!

Thank you, thank you thank you all for taking time to answer my questions...and if anyone is sailing with me I would love to hear from you!

Claudia

Claudia, find Peat Taylor on the web. He'll pick you up at the dock and take you around the area for the day...since your boyfriend is interested in history Peat will educate you both with his local color during the driving. And I bet he will also convince your BF to try out some of the area's attractions. Mission accomplished. We hired Peat about 5 years ago and he was fabulous; really gave us a local feel for the place during our day there. Check the boards for recent updates by searching his name. Enjoy your trip.

I second the Sandals beach break! It was awesome and worth every penny. We had unlimited drinks included in the price, several dining venues to choose from, beach activities, etc. My second choice would have to be Margaritaville. We've done Fern Gully and the falls, so we decided to try something different recently and will definitely go back to

Sandals. Enjoy your cruise!

We took a tour of the local area, and Fern Gully with one of the taxis outsde the pier gate. He showed us all the local hangouts and neighborhoods that the tourist normally don't get see. We then went shopping, then to a great beach that wasn't crowded. Show him the excursion list and see wha he's interested in. Maybe he just wants to hit the beach and relax.

WOW! You guys are amazing! Thank you ALL so much for your wonderful advice. I am really liking the Margaritaville, Fern Gully, and although the white tubing sounds devine I did mention it to him previously and I got the same response...No way! LOL Hes' 36 years old but man hes like ultra cautious or something..oh well....

I'm 58 and DH is 62.... the river tubing was awesome... and totally safe!!

The guides that are with you are wonderful.... he'll feel confident..... I would recommend it to any age..... it was the best part of our cruise!!!

Claudia: All of the above suggestions are good ones (I agree, Dunn's River Falls is TOO crowded; did it once, in the 90's; been there, done that). I took my wife and daughters (were on the FOS in April) horseback riding at Ochos Rios. The stable, "Hooves," had a van pick us up right at the pier and drove us to their location. Rode down to the beach and changed into swimsuits (you can even buy a Red Stripe or 2) and then rode the horses in the water, before riding back. It was about 3 hours and about 300 bucks for five of us. They sent two guides with the 5 of us. Was a lot of fun and I'd recommend Hooves. Just another suggestion, John :cool:

First let me say "thank you" again for everyone's suggestions. Just wonderful. I would love to do the tubing....but...when I told my honey about the horse back riding his eyes just lit like two halogen bulbs..lol. He said he hasnt done horseback riding since he was a little boy back in good old Cuba. So needless to say, he say "Yes, Claudia yes" (with thick spanish accent)

John, I went ahead and sent an email to Hooves. What time did they pick you up from the port? Also, how substantial are their "refreshments?" We are not breakfast eaters (coffee and OJ and thats about it) but since this seems like it might be a long tour, should we just pre plan and try to eat a good breakfast ...what type of fruits do they let you try? I am so excited to try new things...and try new food! Also how much are their beers, and should we tip the guides in addition to the cost of the tour?

Well thank you all for the nice and kind words and most of all your patience!

Claudia

Claudia,

Glad that you found what you want to do! Once you hear from Hooves, you should find out what time you will get finished with you tour. You may find that you have time before needing to get back onto the ship to do a bit of shopping in town and stop at Margaritaville for a few drinks. Both are super close to the ship. Definitely ask more questions if you do, these boards are super helpful in finding cool things to do.

I would let HIM choose the excursions! After all, it's his vacation, too! Let him enjoy the planning and anticipation! Don't spoil it for him by doing everything!

Great idea. Have him sit down with you and go over what is available...we liked the snorkling there a few years back (already did Dunns the prior trip)

We too booked a tour with Pete Taylor. Our good friend is a school teacher and he researches everything. We all enjoyed Pete. He was very informative on the tour.

We also did Dunns River Falls. It was a lot of fun. Margaritaville was a big hit with us as well.

What ever you do you will have a great time in Jamaica!

Tigers2425

Lori

I have never noticed the beach being crowded. We usually stop at Margaritaville for a few drinks on our way back to the ship. LOVE Jamaica! If your boyfriend does not want to Dunn's River, but wants to see Fern Gully and the spots that kooljamming mentioned, you might be able to book a tour with the guide we have used ~ Pete Taylor. He does tours that include Dunn's River and Fern Gully, with a stop at a local school, but I think he does customized tours as well. You can probably find a lot of info on him on the Jamaica boards. He is wonderful.

Another option, and I'm not sure what the excursion is called or if your ship offers it, is a party boat and parasailling. Rum punch, great music. Grab lunch at a local restaurant in town. Then you could do a bit of shopping near the ship (if you like coffee try Jablum), head to Margaritaville for a few drinks and hang either on their patio or on the beach.

Ok so we definetly narrowed it down to Hooves, the horseback riding tour on the beach. Its $70 per person (although the website says $65) and they emailed me back saying they need my credit card information to book. I am a little hesitant in giving them my credit card info until I actually make it to Jamaica since I have read that in the past, due to bad weather, RCI has NOT gone to Jamaica. What happens then? I can only imagine the nightmare it would be to get my money back.... Has any of you had any experience with Hooves or any other horseback riding company in Jamaica for that matter?

Thank you in advance for your sugestions!

Claudia

Ok so we definetly narrowed it down to Hooves, the horseback riding tour on the beach. Its $70 per person (although the website says $65) and they emailed me back saying they need my credit card information to book. I am a little hesitant in giving them my credit card info until I actually make it to Jamaica since I have read that in the past, due to bad weather, RCI has NOT gone to Jamaica. What happens then? I can only imagine the nightmare it would be to get my money back.... Has any of you had any experience with Hooves or any other horseback riding company in Jamaica for that matter?

Thank you in advance for your sugestions!

Claudia

Thats exactly how I feel about paying in advance...;)

Archived