Children in dining room.

bateau bay

Hi Jill

Children are welcome in the dining room at all meals. We booked a table for 5.30pm every evening. There is a special kids menu that they can pick from. The waiters were fantastic and performed magic tricks for the kids that even amazed us adults. We found it easier to take the kids to dinner in the restaurant than the kids buffet which is held between 4.30pm - 5.30pm.

If you need any copies of the Pacific Daily or shark shack program just email brossy at aanet dot com dot au and I'll organise copies for you and drop them off to your work.

Hi Jill

Children are welcome in the dining room at all meals. We booked a table for 5.30pm every evening. There is a special kids menu that they can pick from. The waiters were fantastic and performed magic tricks for the kids that even amazed us adults. We found it easier to take the kids to dinner in the restaurant than the kids buffet which is held between 4.30pm - 5.30pm.

If you need any copies of the Pacific Daily or shark shack program just email brossy at aanet dot com dot au and I'll organise copies for you and drop them off to your work.

well said brossy , the children are treated very very well by the staff.and we do the same 5.30 pm sitting:D

When we went on our earlier Pacific Sun cruises, children under 12 ( I think it was 12) were not allowed to eat in the dining room during the busy times. We sailed school holidays and our daughter who was about 12 at the time had to eat at around 5pm with all the kids. We spoke to the matre d' who found she could be seated at our table as there was space. The queue was huge as people found out their kids were not eating with them.

I am sure that has changed now, although someone sailing P and O recently may say otherwise. Our kids are now older and have always loved the dining room and it is usually the only time you get to spend some time with them on board.

On the Pacific dawn my daughter and her friends from the teen club, this was last October and they were 15 -16 were alllowed to book into the dining room by themselves and this was formal night, and were treated like royalty (and behaved accordingly)

We always took all of our children to top restaurants from an early age. It taught them how to eat and behave well in formal situations. It is amazing how children adapt to the situation. It is a good learning curve for them. I hope that you will be able to take them, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. :)

We sailed on the Dawn at the begining of this month and found the kids were welcomed everywhere we went.

They are 6 & 11 and dined with us every night in the dining room at a 6pm booking. The staff were incredible especially Roberto who paid special attention to all the children - even nursing babies whilst parents ate their meals.

We too have always provided our kids with opportunities to learn & experience appropriate behaviour in public and were extremely proud of their behaviour each evening. We always had other guests (couples) on our table and only once did we have someone who was obvioulsy not happy to be sitting with children but did commend them on their behaviour at the end of the meal.

I would highly recommend taking the children with you although you may find (as we often did) the kids club is beckoning them...

Hmmmmmm...... have to say I'm not one who likes having children at my table or next to my table when in the dining room on my cruise.

Maybe that's because we haven't had the best experience of other peoples children at our table or nearby grizzling, crawling under the table or vomiting on the carpet.

Don't get me wrong, I am a Mum but I always thought cruising was one of the few family holidays where Mum and Dad can enjoy their time together meeting with other adults in the dining room, and the kids can eat with their new made friends elsewhere and everyone is happy.

Jillybean:)

Hmmmmmm...... have to say I'm not one who likes having children at my table or next to my table when in the dining room on my cruise.

Maybe that's because we haven't had the best experience of other peoples children at our table or nearby grizzling, crawling under the table or vomiting on the carpet.

Don't get me wrong, I am a Mum but I always thought cruising was one of the few family holidays where Mum and Dad can enjoy their time together meeting with other adults in the dining room, and the kids can eat with their new made friends elsewhere and everyone is happy.

Could'nt agree more. We had an awful experience on Rhapsody with young couple behind us who bought their 2 year old to the dining room every night there was no one else on the table only the baby's grandfather who would arrive after they had finished eating (smart man) maybe they had frightened every body else off from the table early in the cruise. The child sceamed, cried, squealed, threw food all over floor and table (as baby's do) much to the delight of the parent's not so much the other patrons.when she became restless in the high chair they would take her out and allow her to run around the restaurant,they seemed to think everything she did was delightful. As we were on first sitting the staff had to replace tableclothes and clean up the whole area after them for the second sitting,their table looked like a war zone(hate to see what their home is like) they just got up and left the mess for staff to clean up. After more than a week of this sort of behaviour every night, trying to have an adult conversation with others on our table and being drowned out by this child I snapped, could'nt handle it any more and told them to take her away...... surprised looks from my family and then others around agreed with me. I did not for a minute blame the little girl she was only a baby with totally irresponsible, selfish parents who did not give a consideration for any one else in the dining room.I might sound like an old grouch,:mad: but I am neither old or a grouch far from it, just hate thoughtless people.

Robin

I'm sure I'd like a rowdy type in the main dining room just as much. And a 2 year old where the parents aren't paying attention isn't representative of all children.

As long as the children are behaved and respectful of others, there shouldn't be any problem.

I'm sure I'd like a rowdy type in the main dining room just as much. And a 2 year old where the parents aren't paying attention isn't representative of all children.

As long as the children are behaved and respectful of others, there shouldn't be any problem.

How on earth can anyone guarantee that!!!

If the children are not in the dining room, then, as I said, everyone is happy.

We have experienced small children at the 8.30 sitting - way too late for a child to be eating dinner that's why they are not happy.....it's not the childs fault.

How on earth can anyone guarantee that!!!

How on Earth can anyone guarantee anything?!

If the children are not in the dining room, then, as I said, everyone is happy.

Except for the sizeable number of families! "Everyone" is quite a limited set.

I've sailed on cruises with hundreds of children aboard and no age restrictions in the dining room. There hasn't been any issues with them, and if you were to complain about 'annoying elements' you could target other groups equally if you were so inclined. P&O Cruises target families so it's foolish and discriminatory to try to prevent part of their core customers from entering public areas.

There are cruise lines that do target couples without children more so cruisers who wish for that environment should consider them.

How on Earth can anyone guarantee anything?!

Except for the sizeable number of families! "Everyone" is quite a limited set.

I've sailed on cruises with hundreds of children aboard and no age restrictions in the dining room. There hasn't been any issues with them, and if you were to complain about 'annoying elements' you could target other groups equally if you were so inclined. P&O Cruises target families so it's foolish and discriminatory to try to prevent part of their core customers from entering public areas.

There are cruise lines that do target couples without children more so cruisers who wish for that environment should consider them.

You've been very lucky not to have had any problems with other peoples children either seated at your table or near your table. I hope you never do.

As I said previously we cannot blame the children here, it's the parents.

That brings me to another issue that bothers me. Toddlers in the swimming pool without nappies or anything else for that matter. We wondered what just floated passed...:(

As long as we all respect each other we'll all have a great cruise.

We have never had a problem on any cruise with older children just this once with the little one and as she was too young to be well behaved and respectful.....maybe someone should have taught her parents how to be respectful of others. definetly do not have a problem with kids in the dining room, have seen some kids having the time of their lives being entertained by their waiters with magic tricks and napkin folding and it was lovely to watch the expressions on their faces.All comes down to parental control!!! I'm sure I would feel the same way if their was some loud mouth yobbo in the dining room too.

Robin

Could'nt agree more. We had an awful experience on Rhapsody with young couple behind us who bought their 2 year old to the dining room every night there was no one else on the table only the baby's grandfather who would arrive after they had finished eating (smart man) maybe they had frightened every body else off from the table early in the cruise. The child sceamed, cried, squealed, threw food all over floor and table (as baby's do) much to the delight of the parent's

After the 2nd night, you (and others from your tables) should have went to the head waiter and complained. Either ask to be moved, or that couple with the child be moved. From what I've read, RCL would likely have moved the couple or asked them not to come to the dinning room any more, as that would have been easier than moving an entire table to two of complaining pax.

Personally, as a parent, I would never have brought my 2 year old on a cruise. But, if for some crazy reason I did, and my child started to make a fuss in the dinning room, I'd pick her up and leave. I'd then go to the buffet, or in needed back to my room and order room service.

I remember going to a nice steak house on our 1 year wedding aniversary, with our 7 week old daughter in a infant seat/carrier. They gave us the "look" and sat us in the far corner. She slept through the entire dinner just as we planned (we specifically pick a time for dinner when she was normally asleep). They seemed suprised when we left and they hadn't heard a thing. :)

After the 2nd night, you (and others from your tables) should have went to the head waiter and complained. Either ask to be moved, or that couple with the child be moved. From what I've read, RCL would likely have moved the couple or asked them not to come to the dinning room any more, as that would have been easier than moving an entire table to two of complaining pax.

Personally, as a parent, I would never have brought my 2 year old on a cruise. But, if for some crazy reason I did, and my child started to make a fuss in the dinning room, I'd pick her up and leave. I'd then go to the buffet, or in needed back to my room and order room service.

I remember going to a nice steak house on our 1 year wedding aniversary, with our 7 week old daughter in a infant seat/carrier. They gave us the "look" and sat us in the far corner. She slept through the entire dinner just as we planned (we specifically pick a time for dinner when she was normally asleep). They seemed suprised when we left and they hadn't heard a thing. :)

our son was 14 months old when he first went on the pacific star now he is three yrs and one month old and been on six cruises, and we all ways eat in the dinning room , except for once when we went to the steak house on the pacific star with another couple from ccs, who also cruise with there chilren most of the time.:D:D:D:D:D

Hi,

We have just returned and our 2 children (10 & 9) ate 3 meals a day with us in the dining room. The different people we ate with at breakfast and lunch seemed to enjoy their company and spoke to the kids whenever they say them for the rest of the cruise. We ate dinner as a family at a table for just the 4 of us.

We saw a group where 6 adults sat together and put 6 children at a table by themselves. Enough said!

Cheers

Clive

Hi,

We have just returned and our 2 children (10 & 9) ate 3 meals a day with us in the dining room. The different people we ate with at breakfast and lunch seemed to enjoy their company and spoke to the kids whenever they say them for the rest of the cruise. We ate dinner as a family at a table for just the 4 of us.

We saw a group where 6 adults sat together and put 6 children at a table by themselves. Enough said!

Cheers

Clive

We ate at 5:30pm every night in the dining room with 3 teenagers and 2 small children. We had a table to ourselves which helped but I must say the kids were very good. Now they can be "terrors" (as Clive's daughter discovered in the bathroom when DD wouldn't wash her hands!) which was sometimes the case when we ate in the buffet but because they were contained in the dining room they were fine. When we ate in the buffet one of us would sit with the kids while the other got the food....I don't know but something about it would make them "antsy". Twice our youngest fell asleep at our 5:30 dinner! Our teenagers friends kept asking if they were cruising with their nanna because we ate so early!:eek: It also wan'y very busy at 5:30 so we never felt worried about disturbing others around us. Try both and decide from there. See what works for you.

Angela

Archived