Carry-on luggage in Civitavecchia and how to find pier for specific ship?

mikeerdas

My wife and I only have carry-on luggage with us--one overhead bin-sized piece of luggage and one day pack each. Is it possible at Civitavecchia to simply carry our stuff on? We always travel light and love never having to wait at airport carousels to retrieve our luggage. And yes, we know, cabins are often not available till past 1 or 2pm. That's fine.

Just wondering if we would be hassled.

Also, how do we know which pier our ship will be at? Does the free shuttle stop at all of them, and do drives have knowledge of which ships are at what pier? I'll be on Royal Caribbean. Should be obvious to see if the shuttle goes to all piers. Just thought I'd ask in case there were multiple shuttles.

Thanks very much.

On most cruiselines, if your luggage will fit through the scanner at check-in, you can carry it aboard. I think they are the same size as the ones in airports.

The shuttles generally have the name of the ship(s) on their route on the front. If not, ask the driver.

On most cruiselines, if your luggage will fit through the scanner at check-in, you can carry it aboard. I think they are the same size as the ones in airports.

The shuttles generally have the name of the ship(s) on their route on the front. If not, ask the driver.

Thanks CruiseMom! Just finishing up two glorious days in Rome. Appreciate all your advice over the past year or so.

Managed to visit the Colosseum, Forum, and Palatine Hill on the day we flew in. I was particularly stunned by the extensive ruins at the Forum and Palatine Hill. Threw my coin into Trevi Fountain on the way back and sure as hell intend to return. I could probably spend a few days at the Forum / Palatine Hill taking it all in.

Today, we hit the Vatican Museums and St. Peters. We reserved the earliest ticket we could get before we left the states--for 9am Sat morning and we sailed right past the lines. Our strategy was to dodge the tour groups and head all the way to the Sistine Chapel and spent a glorious hour or so taking it all in. We brought mini-binoculars and I'd highly recommend that to anyone--saw so much more of the details. Took the long walk to the left back to the museum entrance and explored the museum proper. Then the door to the right off to St. Peters; hiked up to the Cupola--spectacular.

Thanks again for all your advice. Looking forward to using more of your advice on the cruise; we're on an early morning train to Civitavecchia tomorrow (Sunday).

Also, how do we know which pier our ship will be at? Does the free shuttle stop at all of them, and do drives have knowledge of which ships are at what pier? I'll be on Royal Caribbean. Should be obvious to see if the shuttle goes to all piers. Just thought I'd ask in case there were multiple shuttles.

Thanks very much.

The free shuttles in Civitavecchia port have the ships name in the front window. Yes, they do know where they are going and they serve all cruise lines. Questions when you are there - ask a shuttle driver.

Thanks CruiseMom! Just finishing up two glorious days in Rome. Appreciate all your advice over the past year or so.

Managed to visit the Colosseum, Forum, and Palatine Hill on the day we flew in. I was particularly stunned by the extensive ruins at the Forum and Palatine Hill. Threw my coin into Trevi Fountain on the way back and sure as hell intend to return. I could probably spend a few days at the Forum / Palatine Hill taking it all in.

Today, we hit the Vatican Museums and St. Peters. We reserved the earliest ticket we could get before we left the states--for 9am Sat morning and we sailed right past the lines. Our strategy was to dodge the tour groups and head all the way to the Sistine Chapel and spent a glorious hour or so taking it all in. We brought mini-binoculars and I'd highly recommend that to anyone--saw so much more of the details. Took the long walk to the left back to the museum entrance and explored the museum proper. Then the door to the right off to St. Peters; hiked up to the Cupola--spectacular.

Thanks again for all your advice. Looking forward to using more of your advice on the cruise; we're on an early morning train to Civitavecchia tomorrow (Sunday).

Thanks; have a GREAT cruise!

(I've been to Rome many times and always make time to do the Forum and usually Palatine Hill and the Colosseum as well......I always find something new there.:))

Archived