Bus to Accra Beach

2morrow

We just got home from our Cruise. We planned on taking the local bus to Accra beach. The taxi drivers were having a slow day so we got a ride for 12$ there and 15 back. We walk alot and was glad we took the taxi. It is a long hot walk to the bus station.

We loved the beach, the boardwalk starts on the end of the beach. We also walked across the street to convenience store to get water, pop, and beer for cruise.

darn i hit the post twice see below

We just got home from our Cruise. We planned on taking the local bus to Accra beach. The taxi drivers were having a slow day so we got a ride for 12$ there and 15 back. We walk alot and was glad we took the taxi. It is a long hot walk to the bus station.

We loved the beach, the boardwalk starts on the end of the beach. We also walked across the street to convenience store to get water, pop, and beer for cruise.

Is that 12 for the both of you and 15 for the both of you or was it each? We would def take a private taxi if it wound up being 30 bucks total.

Aplmac what do you think about safety of local taxi's is there a taxi union and specific ones to avoid?

Also love your pics how about some more

Can you buy a beer at all these locations Accra, coconut groove & Hilton?

I was going to spend two different days one at Hilton & one at Accra but I might just combine my tour. Any trouble finding a cabbie from Hilton.Do you think this can be done? Then I'll have a extra day doing something else Bottom bay maybe.:D

Barbados is a dream come true for me!!!!:)

Can you buy a beer at all these locations Accra, Coconut Court & Hilton? ===> Yes.

I was going to spend two different days one at Hilton & one at Accra

but I might just combine my tour. ===> ;)

Any trouble finding a cabbie from Hilton. ===> No.

Do you think this can be done? ===> Yes.

Then I'll have a extra day doing something else Bottom Bay maybe. ===> Good thinking!

I like your thinking.

It does look gorgeous. What did they charge you?
I live here - I walk in' date=' I walk out!

We know the family. The Blades boys grew up with my wife's girls!

I have no idea what they charge! :eek: - or if they charge

[i'](other than for food and drink)[/i] ..sorry!

CCbeach-218.jpg

Taxi to Accra beach. The going price was 20$ per cab each way. Like I said we were planning on taking local bus but local taxi driver came down in price when we walked by them and stated we were taking the bus. We payed 12$ there and 15$ for return. The same driver came and picked us up at time we requested.

Taxi to Accra beach.

The going price was 20$ per cab each way.

Like I said we were planning on taking local bus

but local taxi driver came down in price when we walked by them

and stated we were taking the bus.

We payed 12$ there and 15$ for return.

The same driver came and picked us up at time we requested.

Now there's a guy who knows how to do it. ;)

The local taxi guys (up and down most of these islands)

will return to pick you up for the trip back to the ship.

The usual deal is that you don't pay them a cent until you return back to the dock

which works out well for both parties

and guarantees his return to pick you up.

I live here - I walk in, I walk out!

We know the family. The Blades boys grew up with my wife's girls!

I have no idea what they charge! :eek: - or if they charge

(other than for food and drink) ..sorry!

CCbeach-218.jpg

These photos with the palm trees look Soooo appealing!

I e-mailed Judy (I think that was her name) but never received an answer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
I agree and would like to know more about it. We'll be there in February (Victory) and it looks like just the kind of place I'd like to hang for a day. I also liked Accra and will be considering that as well.

We will also be sailing the Victory and curious if you did you go and looking for info on coconut beach. Thanks for details-

Cost & policy for: taxi, chairs,water conditions etc. If you did not- what was your choice?

• 1 month later...

I would like to take a bus to accra. Are the busses safe and clean? How far is the bus terminal on bridgetown from the port. Is it an easy walk? This would definitely be cheaper than cab fare ;-)

first, 2morrow, to answer your question, it is possible to take a bus to accra beach. You would have to walk from the cruise terminal right across bridgetown to the fairchild street bus terminal or the river bus terminal. The fairchild street terminal operates the government-run bus service (predominantly blue with yellow stripes) whilst the river terminal operates privately-owned "minibuses" (yellow with blue stripes) and "zrs" or zed-rs (small whit vans with maroon stripes).

The zrs are your fastest option. The vans on the route 11 stretch (on which accra lies) leave quite frequently. Just let the driver know that you are heading to accra and they'll take care of you. The fare is bds$1.50 and us$ are roughly bds$2 to us$1.

Waterbugohio, unfortunately st. John's parish church is quite far away from accra and also on another bus route. To reach the church you would have to return to bridgetown and take another bus from the fairchild street bus terminal. Also, please note that buses that go into the further areas within the country do not run as frequently and hence you may have a bit of a wait within the terminal.

To ensure that you are able to enjoy the sights with time to spare, it may be best to use a taxi for this trip.

Recently, We emailed the Transport Board on Barbados on how to get to Rockley Beach. This was their reply and it may be of some help to Accra as well.

To Rockley take a walk back to the terminal and utilize the Bridgetown Shuttle service this ticket is transferable to your next destination. Depart the bus at the Fairchild Street Terminal and board the bus that is going to Sam Lord’s Castle, Crane, Silver Sands or Fairy Valley and ask the driver to put you off at Rockley. On the return take any bus with the destination sign Bridgetown and return to Fairchild Street Terminal, use the service of the shuttle and return to the Pier. The Shuttle service also passes by the pier. Do enjoy you stay in Barbados.

Regards,

Recently, We emailed the Transport Board on Barbados on how to get to Rockley Beach. This was their reply and it may be of some help to Accra as well.

Thanks for bus info. Do you plan on using this in Barbados soon?

oh BTW: noted your signature--I am also in Carmel,IN near O'Malia's and flowing well. small world!

JJPACER: would you post about Barbados upon return-we will be there in July. I looked at your itinerary--I loved the Baths of Virgin Gorda/Tortola, and know Curacao pretty well-- especially if interested in a beach, just walking around,a fabric store,Catholic church to pop in etc. and where "not to go"

email buffettfan225- cruise at yahoo dot com p.s. we have a B&W cat too!

We're at 126th & Hazel Dell Pkwy. It is indeed a small world. Yes, we're going to Barbados in early May. Accra beach & Rockley Beach are the same. There is an Accra Hotel on Rockly Beach. Thus, the identity confusion. DH posted the reply about the bus route on this post. However, he missed a paragraph in the instructions. Look at our post "Instructions on bus route in Barbados" posted 4/15/10 (five posts down the page from this one.) You will find all the info. The walk to the Princess Alice Terminal from the ship is a 5 min. walk. I believe you can rent chairs from the hotel, and that bathrooms are available. W're leaving in less than 2 wks. Can't wait.

We're at 126th & Hazel Dell Pkwy. It is indeed a small world. Yes, we're going to Barbados in early May. Accra beach & Rockley Beach are the same. There is an Accra Hotel on Rockly Beach. Thus, the identity confusion. DH posted the reply about the bus route on this post. However, he missed a paragraph in the instructions. Look at our post "Instructions on bus route in Barbados" posted 4/15/10 (five posts down the page from this one.) You will find all the info. The walk to the Princess Alice Terminal from the ship is a 5 min. walk. I believe you can rent chairs from the hotel, and that bathrooms are available. W're leaving in less than 2 wks. Can't wait.

thanks: for the clarified bus info. If you travel by bus please post how it went,cost of chairs and facilities. More specifically we live in Brookfield Subd. Wow so close. Whose cat sitting?

Suzy

Our daughter and her soon to be DH are pet sitting. Not shown is our Papillion. (small dog, big ears, long curly tail) It's hard getting a cute picture of all 3. But I'll keep trying.

We'll let you know about the busses. It sounds doable & convenient.

You know that Rockley Beach is connected to Payne Beach by a boardwalk. One of the reasons we chose this beach.

What other ports are you visiting, and what do you have planned for them? Jacki

You know that Rockley Beach is connected to Payne Beach by a boardwalk. ===> No no no... :cool:

One of the reasons we chose this beach.

Please let me correct you on your geographical error.

Paynes Bay is about 3-4 miles North of the Bridgetown Port

whereas Rockley Beach ("Accra" as us locals call it) is about 2 miles S-East of the Port.

The two are not connected by the boardwalk.

I'm thinking you've confused yourself somehow.

The new South Coast boardwalk connects Rockley Beach with Hastings Beach

which will lead you right down to Hilton's beach at Needham's Point.

Please don't think you're going to walk from doing the turtles at Paynes Bay --all the way to Rockley.

Not gonna happen, sorry!

You are right. It is Hastings Beach connected to Rokley Beach by the boardwalk. We plan on snorkeling at Paynes Beach, and I mis-spoke. :eek: Thank you for pointing it out.

We'll post when we get back about the bus, beaches, etc.

You are right. It is Hastings Beach connected to Rokley Beach by the boardwalk.

Is Coconut beach/Accra beach close to the boardwalk? Sorry--but I'm confused:confused: Can we take a taxi and be able to walk the boardwalk and then spend time at Coconut Beach? I understand the taxi is about $20 each way?

Coconut Beach is about a half a mile or so past Hastings Beach. From Bridgetown you will come to Rockley/Accra first, then the Boardwalk, then Hastings Beach. If you continue you will come to Cocomut Beach. If it's not unbearably hot when we are there, we're going to try walking to Coconut Beach from Rockley. We like to walk.

If your first choice is Coconut Beach, have the taxi driver drop you off at Coconut Beach, enjoy your time there, then start walking to Hastings & the Boardwalk. You can call a cab from restaurants, hotels, etc in the area, when you want to be picked up. Or you can ride the bus back to Bridgetown. Enjoy your day.

Archived