Tipping & The Supper Club

Almost Packed

I just think it is very cynical to think that the crew only wants to get your money from your wallet into their pocket. Maybe they like to feel that they helped create a memorable moment for you.

The crew is working for the money......otherwise they could stay in their home country and work for nothing;) And there is absolutely nothing wrong or cynical to think otherwise.........becoming successful has alot to do with being good at what you do.......making memorable moments would be one of them;)

And hooray for those that DO overtip......hopefully they make up for the

less-than-generous diners who make waiters wonder what they did wrong for the Carnival passengers at the other table.

I really don't believe the waiters wonder why a person did not tip addtional to the already included tip........ROFLMAO!!!

I try to tip according to the service I receive, 15% being the bare minimum.

On our last supper club experience, the service I received was amazing! She went above and beyond what I would have expected. I left an additional tip to tack on to what was already included.

I try to live my life by the golden rule. I work hard and expect raises every now and again, which I do get. I like to express that to others as well.

The crew is working for the money......otherwise they could stay in their home country and work for nothing;) And there is absolutely nothing wrong or cynical to think otherwise.........becoming successful has alot to do with being good at what you do.......making memorable moments would be one of them;)

I personally think it is cynical to think that all the servers would lie and manipulate to get a bigger tip and that their goal is to get your money out of your pocket and into theirs.

I feel the same about the auto tips. I don't believe my service is any less. I believe most of the crew take pride in doing their jobs well. I'm sure they hope you are pleased enough to compensate them but I don't think every smile, hello or how can I help you is motivated by the desire to get my money into their pocket. IMHO

I can guarantee that none of those employees paychecks vary week to week based on their performance.

In the past my company gave monthly bonus checks to employees who exceeded goals and did not miss time. Of course it was basically the same employees every month. When they stopped the bonuses there were all kinds of speculation about how quotas would not be met, people would start missing time and goals would not be exceeded.

The first month or two we did see some MINOR declines. After that there was no difference, same employees came to work every day, same employees exceeded expectations. It si more about who you are than what you are paid.

I tip the wait staff extra, usually there are two, sometimes 3 that I tip. I give them one tip for the whole week and it is not $40 each, which is what people are saying you should tip for one dinner. Now I guess if I use the logic of how much the dinner would cost on land then I am being cheap. I have never had them return the tip or act as if it wasn't enough.

As a matter of fact I tipped the bar waiter $5 on the Fantasy, the two grandchildren had soda cards, he had been okay before but after that tip their glasses were never empty and he always had the biggest smile on his face. It was only $5 but it made a difference. We had the anytime dining and I don't think the waiters were getting many tips, because they were very grateful when we tipped them.

We've only done the supper club twice, tipped the first time and then found out the fee was the tip, so didn't tip the second time. The service was okay each time but not exceptional. We aren't big fans of the supper club so will probably not have to worry about tip or not to tip.

Here's an interesting one....we won the dinner for 2 in the Sun King at the past guest party!!! Now most of you would say we should have tipped, right?

Well, I asked and they knew we won the dinners...we were still told it was not expected but we could if we wanted to.

Of course we did not tip........service was fine but they got the $60 from somewhere...just because we didn't pay doesn't mean the staff was stiffed....they were allocated the money...trust me

Look how many times you can say it's "just" $5.00 or $10.00 more dollars.

-- To the porter...so he doesn't "lose" your luggage :rolleyes:

-- To the bartender...for quicker service/stronger drinks

-- Extra to the cabin steward for great service (which I find to be standard)

-- Extra to your dining room team for great service (ditto)

-- To the bus drivers/tour guides

ETC....

Sure, by itself one of those is "only" $5.00-$10.00, but they all add up!

Tipping is part of the travel experience.....all over the world....

Seasoned travelers know this and budget for it.

I really don't believe the waiters wonder why a person did not tip addtional to the already included tip........ROFLMAO!!!

I'm sure those folks who work on cruiseships know that some people tip and some don't. They work this every day. I'm sure they don't "wonder" about those who don't......they know......

I'm sure those folks who work on cruiseships know that some people tip and some don't. They work this every day. I'm sure they don't "wonder" about those who don't......they know......

Who said anything about not tipping:confused: Come on granny play catch up will ya:D

I skipped what are probably some great responses to weigh in. The supper club fee is what it is, tip included. I do not feel I need to leave an additional tip. If they made it clear that no tip was included, I would tip appropriately. It's very black and white to me on this one. We ate their twice on Conquest a few weeks back and it was a great meal.

:confused: Ok........who even came close to saying that:confused:

I don't think anyone had said that.

However, it is up to those individuals to get as much money out of your wallet and into theirs. If they make you think they are getting very little, the AWWWW factor kicks in, making some feel the need to fork over more money.

If people thought they were getting the $30, people would be less inclined to fork over the additional cash, so it's all HUSH HUSH. :rolleyes:

Therefore, there's a myriad of answers depending on who you ask.

I truly don't believe that any of the staff I've run into has ever tried to manipulate me into giving them money. I think they perform their services and hope that I find their services worthy of a gratuity.

Tipping is always discretionary, but many people do leave a tip because the service far exceeds that which you get in the MDR (and have already paid a tip for.)

I think a $5 tip on a $30 tab is VERY generous. You can vary to suit what you believe is fair. There is no right answer except what you believe is right.

You will be presented with a check to sign at the end of the meal. This will put the dinner charge on your S & S account. You can add a tip at that time if you wish.

If you order bar service or wine with your meal, remember there is an automatic 15% tip added to the cost of that, so you probably would exclude that amount from any additional tip.

thank you!

this is the answer i was looking for...as i did not know how i would be "charged" for the tip...and now that I know that part of this "fee" is a tip, that helps. here at home, 15-20% of total bill is acceptable tipping for good service. however, $30x2- i was not sure if tipping a percentage on that amount or what the meal would cost on land. i certainly wouldn't want to not tip...but hey, if a big portion of that $30 is their tip, then I would leave less on the slip at the end of the meal.

but i'm also one that believes in tipping when it's earned and deserved and one should never assume they are getting tipped...they earn it.

thanks everyone for the info.

yes, quite a few years ago, i supported my family on tips...waiting tables at a local/national breakfast resturant.

i know about tipping. i also have no problem STIFFING someone who does not deserve a tip.

T-to

I -insure

P-proper

S-service

NO ONE in the service industry is guaranteed a tip. they earn it!

If i am with a large party, and the waiter/waitress auto charges me tips of 15-20% (whichever they charge) that is all they get from me. i do not (ok rarely ever) tip any over that. I feel then they do the minimum amount required because they know they have their $'s regardless of the service given. I can assure you, when service is warranted, tipping is of the proper amount.

However, if my $30 already has gratuity added in, I nor anyone else should feel guilted in to leaving additional tips. it should be my discretion what I choose to leave.

I had no idea that auto tip was included in the $30...I'm glad I know that now.

Archived