Price reduction refused!

ottmar

My booked and paid for Nov1 cruise had a steady price for outside cabins of $999 until today when it showed a drop to $949.

I called RCI and Betty couldn't find the price drop except in Tuesday sale for new booking only.

The way I have been watching for a price drop is that I have my cruise with all the particulars bookmarked and it is a search for this cruise but has my name the cruise details, senior and residence showing and it is under 'deals' that I check.

Am I checking it wrong? If they now sell my cabin category $50 cheaper am I not right in asking for a price reduction?

If indeed the price reductions shown ever are for new bookings only, how do I go about checking for price reduction correctly?

....Ott

My booked and paid for Nov1 cruise had a steady price for outside cabins of $999 until today when it showed a drop to $949.

I called RCI and Betty couldn't find the price drop except in Tuesday sale for new booking only.

The way I have been watching for a price drop is that I have my cruise with all the particulars bookmarked and it is a search for this cruise but has my name the cruise details, senior and residence showing and it is under 'deals' that I check.

Am I checking it wrong? If they now sell my cabin category $50 cheaper am I not right in asking for a price reduction?

If indeed the price reductions shown ever are for new bookings only, how do I go about checking for price reduction correctly?

....Ott

Hi,

I've just got a price drop for our cruise in Feb, I went onto the RCI website and did a search for the same cruise and waited to see what the price of the cabins were - then phoned TA and asked them to phone RCI and ask for the refund.

It seems that the policy works differently in the UK compared to the US but I dont see that you've anything wrong, is it worth ringing back and see if you can speak to another agent?

your software scanning for price drops picked up the Tuesday Specials, which are only for new bookings. You can't cancel and rebook because you're after the final payment date for a Nov. 1 cruise. Betty was correct on this one, your price drop is for new bookings only.

I keep a sheet by the computer with the date I last checked, what I paid, what category, etc. Then I start a new reservation to check the price, cabin availability, and get what the taxes and fees are. I cancel when I get to the confirm page (the page where you submit your credit card info).

OK, then how do I know when a price reduction is not Tuesday special. I am indeed on the Serenade for the Nov1 canal cruise.

....Ott

Check RCI's website? I don't think the rates there reflect the Tuesday Specials, we get that through a different website that's mainly for travel agents. AS someone else posted, try calling again and see if a different rep gives it to you. RCI is famous for lack of continuity among its booking agents.

OK, then how do I know when a price reduction is not Tuesday special. I am indeed on the Serenade for the Nov1 canal cruise.

....Ott

Ott, just go to the RCI Website and do a dummy booking for your cruise. Make sure that you check all the boxes for senior/residency/military/law enforcement reductions on the bottom of the page before you click on continue.

When you get to your cabin category, if there is a price reduction that you would be eligible for it will show up.

I do this daily and we have 4 cruises on the books with RCI.

OK, I did the dummy booking and it comes up with the lower price. Are not all the dummy booking checks like new bookings and not eligable for price reductions?

...Ott

NO, if for example the Tuesday sale price were there again later in the week, you should be able to get the lower price.

The Tuesday sale prices usually show up in the RCI prices when you do a "dummy" booking, but once in a while do not.

Ken

....Ott

I just checked the Tuesday specials. The Serenade, sailing on November 1st is a Tuesday Special with the lower pricing. That price is for new bookings only.

OK, I did the dummy booking and it comes up with the lower price. Are not all the dummy booking checks like new bookings and not eligable for price reductions?

...Ott

You can check the Tuesday specials here......These deals are for NEW BOOKINGS only.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/RCI_Sales_Event/rci_sales_event.pdf

....Ott

Unfortunately thats one of the very few bad parts about RCCL. When they have a sale and the price goes down on your existing reservation you can't get that sale price. I checked today and the "sale" price is $392 less than what I paid w/ my residency discount and other price drops I already got. I called and they still would not give it to me. That does kinda hurt but at the same time we book early because we like having the best selection of aft balconies for our cruises and if we waited until now to book a cruise that leaves next month we may have missed on the cabin we wanted. So trade offs are trade offs but those who wait and don't really care where their cabin is can get some great deals.

...Ott

on the website does it say "sales event" next to the lower price? If yes, that is a the tuesday special for new bookings only

First, I booked directly with Royal Caribbean not through a TA. Secondly, I will give you the URL of my cruise so you can see it for yourself, the price I booked an outside cabin was $999, now it shows $949 for 'deals' when I do a fake booking.

No where there does it say for new bookings only. This is the price they are selling outside cabins now.

The Best Price Garantee says the following:

Quote:">> Our Best Price Guarantee is our committment to you. When you book with Royal Caribbean and subsequently find a lower fare advertised by us, we will honor that rate by applying an onboard credit to the reservation equal to the price difference.

>>>To be eligible, the fare must be a) available for the same ship, sailing, category and number of guests as the current booking; b) be available at the time the request for rate conversion is made; and c) a rate the current booking would be eligible to receive, if any special restrictions apply<<<"

The exception are listed:

>>>Price protection will be available for most fare types with the exception of Royal Sales Event and Exciting Deals; Travel Agent, Interline or Industry Reduced Rates; Employee rate programs; and a select number of price programs and promotions for new bookings only,<<<

No where on a booking does any exception apply. None of them are listed!

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/search/vacationSearchResult.do;jsessionid=0000YMhUYb4QsDi0Jjm-Do5AFG_:12hdhuaq2?promoType=&cS=EXPVSCH&cruiseTourOnly=false&dest=T.PAN&duration=13&date=200910&port=SAN&ship=SR&selectedCurrencyCode=USD&price=ANY&hasSenior=Y&state=OH&x=55&y=8

....Ott

First, I booked directly with Royal Caribbean not through a TA. Secondly, I will give you the URL of my cruise so you can see it for yourself, the price I booked an outside cabin was $999, now it shows $949 for 'deals' when I do a fake booking.

No where there does it say for new bookings only. This is the price they are selling outside cabins now.

Quote:">> Our Best Price Guarantee is our committment to you. When you book with Royal Caribbean and subsequently find a lower fare advertised by us, we will honor that rate by applying an onboard credit to the reservation equal to the price difference.

>>>To be eligible, the fare must be a) available for the same ship, sailing, category and number of guests as the current booking; b) be available at the time the request for rate conversion is made; and c) a rate the current booking would be eligible to receive, if any special restrictions apply<<<"

>>>Price protection will be available for most fare types with the exception of Royal Sales Event and Exciting Deals; Travel Agent, Interline or Industry Reduced Rates; Employee rate programs; and a select number of price programs and promotions for new bookings only,<<<

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/search/vacationSearchResult.do;jsessionid=0000YMhUYb4QsDi0Jjm-Do5AFG_:12hdhuaq2?promoType=&cS=EXPVSCH&cruiseTourOnly=false&dest=T.PAN&duration=13&date=200910&port=SAN&ship=SR&selectedCurrencyCode=USD&price=ANY&hasSenior=Y&state=OH&x=55&y=8

....Ott

Prices From*:

* Prices are per person, based on double occupancy, for cruise only on select sailings and stateroom categories. Government taxes and fees are additional. For new reservations only. Subject to availability. Certain restrictions apply. May not be combinable with any other promotion and may be withdrawn at any time. "Deals" pricing reflects the special rate(s) you may be eligible for. Proof of eligibility required. If eligibility cannot be validated, you will be charged the standard rate or denied boarding. All prices are quoted in US Dollars. All itineraries and prices are subject to change without notice. Ships' Registry: Bahamas. © 2008 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

In bright red all over the booking it says:

cor_deals_ico.gifs.gifFEATURED SPECIAL PRICING OPTIONS

Then goes on to say in bright red when you continue the booking:

Special Pricing

Royal Caribbean Sales Event

If you open the Tuesday Special Promo it says "Sales Event" and "For New Bookings Only."

....Ott

You mentioned this "bolded" quote and your link also states "For New Reservations Only". This has happened in the past to me as well; I quickly got over it though!;)

It is difficult to understand..........but on the page of the link you gave, it clearly states for New Reservations Only.

SEE THE *

13 Night Eastbound Panama Canal Cruise with Deals Special Pricing starting from* $849.00 USD

Then look at the bottom of the page

* Prices are per person, based on double occupancy, for cruise only on select sailings and stateroom categories. Government taxes and fees are additional. For new reservations only. Subject to availability. Certain restrictions apply. May not be combinable with any other promotion and may be withdrawn at any time. "Deals" pricing reflects the special rate(s) you may be eligible for. Proof of eligibility required. If eligibility cannot be validated, you will be charged the standard rate or denied boarding. All prices are quoted in US Dollars. All itineraries and prices are subject to change without notice. Ships' Registry: Bahamas. © 2008 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

OK folks, if when I check for a price drop it always says somewhere for new bookings only, how do I check for price drop that ARE NOT for new bookings only and thus are legit price drops for paid up cruises, please walk me through this.

I see messages from folks all the time saying that they check for price drops daily, would they get the message the same as I get?

...Ott

OK folks, if when I check for a price drop it always says somewhere for new bookings only, how do I check for price drop that ARE NOT for new bookings only and thus are legit price drops for paid up cruises, please walk me through this.

I see messages from folks all the time saying that they check for price drops daily, would they get the message the same as I get?

...Ott

The price drops that are NOT new booking only will either say Residency, Senior or Military Rate (if you are eligible for any of those rates) or it will say nothing at all...the Tuesday only new booking rates say "Sales Event" next to the special price...and ARE new booking only...I know...I have one today on my upcoming Enchantment cruise...I'm "hoping" the price drop might still be there tommorrow...but if not I am not going to worry about it..we got a great price & a couple drops along the way...and in 8 more day's I will be cruising!:D

>>>The price drops that are NOT new booking only will either say Residency, Senior or Military Rate (if you are eligible for any of those rates<<<

I am eligable as a senior and maybe even as residency. Exactly where on the booking would it say that? Every fake booking that I make anywhere the* is there and down below there is a restriction for new booking only.

I want to know where to look for the 'senior' on the booking, even thgough I checked the senior button as I start the booking.

...Ott

Archived