Question for runners who use Garmins on cruises

dual

It may sound like an odd question - but if you are a runner and you use a Garmin or other GPS device on your outdoor runs - have you ever ran on the jogging track on Board any cruiseship and got a good satellite signal?

And when you downloaded your data (I use sports track) did you just get a load of circles in the middle of the ocean on your map?

To non runners you will wonder what the heck im talking about but runners with Garmins will understand?

Im thinking of bringing my Garmin Forerunner 305 on my cruise and jog the track every morning - just would like to know if it works out in the middle of the ocean?

Thanks in advance.

It may sound like an odd question - but if you are a runner and you use a Garmin or other GPS device on your outdoor runs - have you ever ran on the jogging track on Board any cruiseship and got a good satellite signal?

And when you downloaded your data (I use sports track) did you just get a load of circles in the middle of the ocean on your map?

To non runners you will wonder what the heck im talking about but runners with Garmins will understand?

Im thinking of bringing my Garmin Forerunner 305 on my cruise and jog the track every morning - just would like to know if it works out in the middle of the ocean?

Thanks in advance.

Have never used a GPS while running on a cruise ship, but I use a commercial multi-track GPS system blue water sailing. GPS coverage is not 100% world wide. There are gaps in the coverage all over the world. Coverage in the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico is very good for most all locations. Basically it will depend on where you are as to quality of coverage. Good Luck

I use a GPS all the time on cruise ships; but I don't run... The GPS signal gets blocked by any metal superstructure, so it will depend on the layout of the jogging track as to how well you will be tracked...

What I typically do is start out on the top deck somewhere in the middle of the ship where the receiver can see the horizon all the way around.. I give it a couple of minutes to lock in to all the visable satalites, then I can wander around.

If you look at your track after running, you may be in for a suprise. When you are underway, the track will be a combination of your speed and a direction and the speed and direction of the ship. (You can show all your friends at home how you ran a 3 minute mile!)

Aloha,

John

Never had any luck with my GPS on a cruise ship. I hate treadmills, but the gyms on most ships are right at the front of the ship and you have a view straight out into the ocean when you're running. It's amazing! Check out your ship's deck plan, and if the spa/gym is at the front, then they will most likely have treadmills lined up right in the front windows of the ship.

Never had any luck with my GPS on a cruise ship. I hate treadmills, but the gyms on most ships are right at the front of the ship and you have a view straight out into the ocean when you're running. It's amazing! Check out your ship's deck plan, and if the spa/gym is at the front, then they will most likely have treadmills lined up right in the front windows of the ship.

I think liberty of the seas does have the treadmills at the front so I will be taking full advantage of using them every morning to burn some calories for all the food and keep my fitness up as I have some charity races coming up when I get back home!

Im not a mega fan of the treadmill either but good for interval training - cant beat running outdoors.

I sell Garmin in my store and am very familiar with the performance of the various types of GPS receivers. I am NOT a runner by any means.

All GPS receivers receive radio signals from the network of GPS Satellites located between 45 degrees North Latitude and 45 degrees South Latitude. This is to effectively cover the entire globe. The reception MAY be reduced towards the poles but is almost always perfect between 45N and 45S. So the Caribbean should and usually does have great coverage. So your 305 should provide most of the requirements that you need.

As to the tracks. It will be sort of a spiral depending upon your jogging speed and the ship's forward speed. (No, it will not show the path with the ship under your track)

Take the 305, jog to your heart's content. enjoy. Should have no problems.

Now on a cruise to Alaska, you may have some areas of Null Coverage.

Archived