Breakfast in MDR?

surfer143

Lunch and breakfast seating in MDR is the same. You are seated at the next available table. Remember that breakfast is served in MDR every day except day 1. Not so with lunch. I have only seen lunch served in MDR on sea days.

On our Swine Flu cruise in May, the Holiday left Freeport at 3:00 and they served lunch in the MDR that day.

we have two little ones and we have breakfast in the dining room almost every day. its such a hassle on the lido to get breakfast for the kids and then for yourself and then its probably cold by the time you get to sit down and have to make a thousand trips for juice and coffee. in the dining room, its so nice for everyone to pick what they want and have it brought to the table. its worth the hassle of getting up a little earlier. i always request our own table because i don't want to subject anyone to my kids in the morning...lol...on sea days when the kids have their late night party, we order room service for breakfast. we discovered the mdr for breakfast on our second or third cruise and its a favorite now.

My wife and I didn't try the MDR for breakfest until our third cruise. On that cruise we eat there twice and both times it was very nice. The food was very good and the company was great the first time and wasn't bad the second day either. You should give it a try at least once just to check it out to see what you think. I am pretty sure that my wife will want to do it at least once on our upcoming cruise.

For us, breakfast in the MDR was more relaxing and chill. We always requested our own table. The waiters come by and pour some orange juice. They also come by with a basket of pastries (various danishes and croissants). We always enjoyed ordering a nice big glass of pineapple juice and i even got some prune juice once in a while. The things we usually ordered from the menu were eggs benedict (english muffin with canadian bacon, poached eggs and hollandaise sauce), ham and cheese omelette, Belgium waffle with strawberries (or blueberries) and whipped cream. Their french toast is not bad either.

We only made it once to the MDR for breakfast, then at on the Lido the rest of the time. I much prefer the MDR but do not care to wait...we are too anxious to get into port! :) We will have 2 sea days and a later port arrival time so I can enjoy eggs benedict at least 3 times.

Maybe we will order breakfast the night before to be delivered to our cabin...would be nice to sip coffee on the balcony.

As the OP you do have some very good questions.

In the MDR aboard most ships it is usually better and sometimes varied.

Being served your meal is a lot easier than playing the cold meal shuffle and bumper passengers... on the Lido area..:eek:

Your DH is able to oder his omelet how he likes it and ask for Fresh Eggs. Even up on the Lido too. :cool:

But no matter what maam have a great cruise !

We've cruised with Carnival a few times but I never seemed to make it to the MDR for breakfast. DH loves the omlet maker on deck. I was wondering what the menu is like for breakfast in the MDR. Is it worth getting up for?:)

We eat as many meals as possible in the main dining room....always at a table for two unless we've asked for something different. We just ask for the table for two when we arrive, and we're always accommodated.

I hate the rush at the buffet, especially in the morning, when I want a slow leisurely multiple cups of coffee to start, then breakfast, and am always well treated there.

Lunches are more varied, as we may be out and about, or if we're busy with something on board, then we might catch something on the fly, but otherwise, I'm on vacation, and like being served..not trying to juggle food, find a table, deal with crowds. I can do that at home!

[ATTACH]133012[/ATTACH]

We Love to eat in the MDR, we just discovered this on our last cruise. We would just ask for a table for two, and get one almost right away, right by the window! Eggs Benedict and salmon, cream cheese and bagles, YUM:D

Next time, try ordering the hollandaise sauce on the side. Big improvement!

I appreciate this thread so much. I have traveled to Las Vegas several times and people always get mad at me because I do not do the buffets (I have went to them though). But I much rather prefer to sit down and relax and be served my meal. My problem with buffets is everyone hovering, touching and breathing all over the food. More so, KIDS and NASTY ADULTS. I have seen people pick up food with their hands, coughing and sneezing. I AM GOOD, lol

My problem with buffets is everyone hovering, touching and breathing all over the food. More so, KIDS and NASTY ADULTS. I have seen people pick up food with their hands, coughing and sneezing.

ITA. 2 years ago we were at a AI resort in Cancun. The one time we ate in the buffet-style MDR I watched in horror as young children touched food with their hands, changed their minds and put it back! :eek: We only ate in the specialty (no kids after 6 pm) restaurants after that.

You do realize, of course, that we have no idea what is happening to our plates back in the galley. But at least we can hope nobody is sneezing/coughing/touching our food. ;)

I got up early one morning to have breakfast before morning trivia & was seated at a table towards the front of the restaurant (got there as the doors were opening). A couple we were traveling with came a few minutes later & I saw them & asked the hostess if they could be seated with me.

BTW- French toast has raisins (although not listed on menu)

For us, breakfast in the MDR was more relaxing and chill. We always requested our own table. The waiters come by and pour some orange juice. They also come by with a basket of pastries (various danishes and croissants). We always enjoyed ordering a nice big glass of pineapple juice and i even got some prune juice once in a while. The things we usually ordered from the menu were eggs benedict (english muffin with canadian bacon, poached eggs and hollandaise sauce), ham and cheese omelette, Belgium waffle with strawberries (or blueberries) and whipped cream. Their french toast is not bad either.

Can you tell me if the pineapple juice is a seperate thing that costs, or is it included??:)

Jusy FYI, that's available on the room service menu. :D

Thanks for the info...I don't typically do room service, unless I am thoroughly exhausted. I prefer to eat outside of my cabin. (Probably harkens back to my days of highly intensive travel for work, and the only time I would get to eat "out" was on vacation, since the work schedule had me eating way too much room service and hotel food.)

You do realize, of course, that we have no idea what is happening to our plates back in the galley. But at least we can hope nobody is sneezing/coughing/touching our food. ;)

That is very true and what happens in the galley may be even worse. But, I liked to thing the positive. LOL.

I don't typically do room service, unless I am thoroughly exhausted. I prefer to eat outside of my cabin.
I absolutely positively must have coffee the moment my feet hit the floor. Since there aren't any machines in the room, I guess I'll be sending out for it. :o

Since they are already bringing me coffee, might as well order some food! :D

I think the folks that enjoy breakfast and lunch in the MDR enjoy it because it's more peaceful, you don't have to stand in a long line getting your own food and they enjoy being served. If none of those things appeal to you, sleep in and grab some food from the Lido Deck. It is definitely far more relaxing to eat in the MDR. The menu is somewhat limited, but sufficient.

These are my reasons for eating breakfast and lunch in the MDR. The menu is what you'd find in a restaurant that serves breakfast...eggs, bacon, sausage, grits, hash browns, pancakes, waffles, etc. Except you get courses...fruit, cereal, bagel, etc. for your first course. I disagree that the menu is limited AND your food comes to you hot.

Archived