Carnival biggest ship?

CRUISING71

Carnival is not going to build any ships bigger than the "Dream" class.

Splendor is just under this class with the ones under that being the "Conquest" class...

I was happy to hear they will build none larger. Hoping they build a new "Fantasy" or "Spirit" class type of ship with a new design.....

Their ship builder is building (or has built) a smaller class (similar to the Spirit class) for Costa (I believe anyway). The Spirit class was actually built by another company. I for one, would love to see them go back to that size of ship. Saw corporate comments yesterday that their would be no new signing for new builds across all of the brands until at least year end and then the biggest need was for Princess which has not had a new build since early 08.

Beside the Splendor and Dream...what other Carnival's ship comparable to size? Or their next biggest ship?

Thanks,

Tibbie

According to this site:

http://www.nauticalcities.com/cruiseships.php?operator=Carnival+Cruise+Lines

In order by gross tonnage:

130,000 - Miracle (2010), Dream (2009)

113,300 - Splendor (2008)

110,320 - Freedom (2007), Liberty (2005)

110,239 - Valor (2004), Glory (2003), Conquest (2002)

101,509 - Victory (2000), Triumph (1999)

101,353 - Destiny (1996)

88,500 - Miracle (2004), Legend (2002), Spirit (2001), Pride (2001)

70,390 - Paradise (1998)

70,367 - Elation (1998), Inspiration (1996), Imagination (1995), Fascination (1994), Sensation (1993), Ecstasy (1991), Fantasy (1990)

46,052 - Holiday (1985)*

*Departing Carnival fleet in November.

I wouldn't go that far. All I would say is that Carnival currently has no plans to build any ships larger than the Dream class. Who is to guess what they might decide to build in future years? If the RCCL Oasis turn out to be a big hit and very profitable (I have my doubts), then in that case I could very easily see Carnival ordering similarly large ships.

Their ship builder is building (or has built) a smaller class (similar to the Spirit class) for Costa (I believe anyway). The Spirit class was actually built by another company. I for one, would love to see them go back to that size of ship. Saw corporate comments yesterday that their would be no new signing for new builds across all of the brands until at least year end and then the biggest need was for Princess which has not had a new build since early 08.

The SPIRIT class (my favorite :)) utilizes the same hull as Holland American's VISTA class also. Slightly different stateroom and public areas configurations, but identical hull.

I wouldn't go that far. All I would say is that Carnival currently has no plans to build any ships larger than the Dream class. Who is to guess what they might decide to build in future years? If the RCCL Oasis turn out to be a big hit and very profitable (I have my doubts), then in that case I could very easily see Carnival ordering similarly large ships.

I would agree with Earthworm Jim. Everything will be dependant on what the Oasis does. However at some point none of the cruise lines will be able to go any larger. Personally I would like to see more of the new smaller ships. I'm not up for cruising with 3000-5000 new friends.

I just can't imagine being on the Oasis of the Seas, it's 225,000 tons......It will be in St. Thomas and St. Martin with us on our Dream cruise in Feb '10.....Dennis

Heck, it's so big it could be in St. Thomas and St. Martin AT THE SAME TIME.

You have to remember that Carnival is a family of lines and ship designs are mixed and matched. Example? Carnival Splender looks like an odd ship until you realize it's just a slightly modified version of the Costa Concordia Class. The Dream represents a truly new class for Carnival Corp, the first in a while. If you look at most of the recent ship classes, all are evolutions and stretches of existing designs. The rough lineage of the bigger Carnival ships is:

Destiny -> Triumph -> Conquest -> Splender

Spirit is an odd-ball size, designed to just fit the panama canal, but the design has be modified and used by Costa, Cunard and HAL to spread out the development costs.

I will say the stern on the Dream is unsually rounded and nice and the Promanade wraps all the way round which has me thinking the design will find it's way into one of the other higher end lines (P&O or Cunard), maybe with a stretch. If the past is any indication we'll be seeing versions of this design for a while. As for a smaller ship, well, I doubt it in the mass market.

As for an Oasis size ship? Well remember the "pinnicle" project that never got off the boards at Carnival Corp was actually intended to launch as a Princess ship, so if Carnival Corp goes really big it may be on any one of their other lines.

According to this site:

http://www.nauticalcities.com/cruiseships.php?operator=Carnival+Cruise+Lines

In order by gross tonnage:

130,000 - Miracle (2010), Dream (2009)

113,300 - Splendor (2008)

110,320 - Freedom (2007), Liberty (2005)

110,239 - Valor (2004), Glory (2003), Conquest (2002)

101,509 - Victory (2000), Triumph (1999)

101,353 - Destiny (1996)

88,500 - Miracle (2004), Legend (2002), Spirit (2001), Pride (2001)

70,390 - Paradise (1998)

70,367 - Elation (1998), Inspiration (1996), Imagination (1995), Fascination (1994), Sensation (1993), Ecstasy (1991), Fantasy (1990)

46,052 - Holiday (1985)*

*Departing Carnival fleet in November.

The Magic is going to launch in 2011, not 2010.

Splendor is just under this class with the ones under that being the "Conquest" class...

I was happy to hear they will build none larger. Hoping they build a new "Fantasy" or "Spirit" class type of ship with a new design.....

Maybe Carnival could build a ship similar to the Costa Luminosa. I really like the Spirit class ships.

It is a ship similar to the Spirit class ships. It is also only a little larger at 92,700 tons.

Good point. While never is a long time, though, Carnival decided to get out fo the biggest ship race back in the 1990's. It seems to have been a very wise move, in retrospect. Oasis and Allure are likely to sink RCL.

I would agree with Earthworm Jim. Everything will be dependant on what the Oasis does. However at some point none of the cruise lines will be able to go any larger. Personally I would like to see more of the new smaller ships. I'm not up for cruising with 3000-5000 new friends.

I also agree with Jim and morganboys.

Although some may find these monster ships appealing, I wouldn't be that interested. I live nearby some of the largest MALLS in the world, if I want to be a "surfrider" a 30 minute drive to some of the best surf would do fine, and rock climbing I just never understood.:confused:

I would agree there is efficiency in size for the operating costs of these giants maybe, but the cost curve for these monsters to be built is not a straight line graph, as it goes up exponentially with size and creates whole new problems with docking, embarkation and debarkation, etc. (and cost amortization ! ! :eek:)

If these huge ships are successful and I highly doubt they will be, Carnival will do whatever is necessary to COMPETE. Maybe this dislike for these monsters is why I so much prefer a SPIRIT-classed ship. As Goldilocks said, "Not too big . . . not too small . . . just right." :D

Good point. While never is a long time, though, Carnival decided to get out fo the biggest ship race back in the 1990's. It seems to have been a very wise move, in retrospect. Oasis and Allure are likely to sink RCL.

If that came to pass, then Carnival might very well get a much larger ship. If Royal Caribbean went down the tubes, someone would buy their ships for pennies on the dollar, and Carnival might just be the one to buy Oasis and/or Allure.

Archived