Poll: Are jeans or shorts appropriate for casual night in the MDR?

Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?  

1,131 members have voted

1. 1. Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?

• Jeans are fine, shorts are not.
    • Jeans are not okay, shorts are fine.
    • Jeans and shorts are fine.
    • Neither are okay in MDR!
    • Heck - I'd wear either on Formal Night!!

This is a funny poll. I would never have considered dark jeans of any sorts dinner casual before reading this poll (and I think I am considered in the younger range).

This is what I think of for various dinner clothing codes (for women of course):

Casual: Nice pants/capris/skirt and blouse

Semi-Formal: Cocktail dress or something similar

Formal: Long formal gown

Don't get me wrong... I love my jeans and I wear a dark jean, nice top and some heels to a casual club or business casual work days. Maybe I am a bit different in that I live in Los Angeles (no suburbs... actually Los Angeles westside where people may tend to get a bit more dressy for "dressy" occassions, LOL!) You should see how some people come to work in my office building... sometimes they dress like they are going to a "fancy" club.

However, each person has the option to do what they want on "their" vacation as long as they are adhering to the particular cruiseline's policies.

This is a funny poll. I would never have considered dark jeans of any sorts dinner casual before reading this poll (and I think I am considered in the younger range).

This is what I think of for various dinner clothing codes (for women of course):

Casual: Nice pants/capris/skirt and blouse

Semi-Formal: Cocktail dress or something similar

Formal: Long formal gown

Don't get me wrong... I love my jeans and I wear a dark jean, nice top and some heels to a casual club or business casual work days. Maybe I am a bit different in that I live in Los Angeles (no suburbs... actually Los Angeles westside where people may tend to get a bit more dressy for "dressy" occassions, LOL!) You should see how some people come to work in my office building... sometimes they dress like they are going to a "fancy" club.

However, each person has the option to do what they want on "their" vacation as long as they are adhering to the particular cruiseline's policies.

Why would you wear jeans to a casual club and not a casual dinner?

At present the votes on jeans in the main dining room are running

443 in favor of jeans

411 opposed

But what we see here are only opinions from a small minority of cruisers posting on an internet message board.

On the ship what matters is the cruise line's policy, and Royal Caribbean's policy is that jeans are acceptable.

Although I'm still confused by people ranting against jeans. They are NOT forbidden by the cruise line. The daily compass used to say "no jeans or shorts in the MDR at night." It no longer says jeans. It only says shorts.

Are you quoting RCI daily compass or Celebrity? I've cruised RCI since 1980 and never seen a daily compass say "no jeans or shorts in the MDR at night". In fact, until just very recently RCI always had a Country Western theme night on every cruise we have taken and regardless of how you want to interpret the suggested dress code, I would believe that jeans would be acceptable on that night.:rolleyes:

Are you quoting RCI daily compass or Celebrity? I've cruised RCI since 1980 and never seen a daily compass say "no jeans or shorts in the MDR at night". In fact, until just very recently RCI always had a Country Western theme night on every cruise we have taken and regardless of how you want to interpret the suggested dress code, I would believe that jeans would be acceptable on that night.:rolleyes:

Actually my Mariner compass does state no shorts in the main dining room at night....we went the week of August 23......

Actually my Mariner compass does state no shorts in the main dining room at night....we went the week of August 23......

RCI might as well save the ink it takes to print that stuff.

I've seen plenty of pax ignore that and they are allowed to get away with it.:rolleyes:

RCI might as well just say that the MDR is a free for all.

"Come as you will to eat our swill".:)

I've seen plenty of pax ignore that and they are allowed to get away with it.:rolleyes:

Yep we saw many too.......but I hear it makes some people miserable:p:D

Actually my Mariner compass does state no shorts in the main dining room at night....

I've seen the no shorts policy many times, but never a no jeans policy. Celebrity, at one time, had a definite no jeans policy. As the poster had cruised several times with Celebrity, I was wondering if he/she was confusing the two lines.

For the people who were asking... casual dance club... in LA... typically means a younger crowd who are into designer jeans (+ $200) and similar trendy stuff. There is definitely different attire from a casual club to casual dinner... at least the places I go. The atmosphere is totally different. Really cannot describe it... just a difference!

For the people who were asking... casual dance club... in LA... typically means a younger crowd who are into designer jeans (+ $200) and similar trendy stuff. There is definitely different attire from a casual club to casual dinner... at least the places I go. The atmosphere is totally different. Really cannot describe it... just a difference!

Yeah, I think it's just geographical. I know what you mean - hard to really describe. Here in NYC, designer jeans (+ $200) is what you wear out to dinner with a great top and high heels most anywhere, unless it's per se or le bernadin or something, in which no jeans but also no tie for men - so more of a elegant casual outfit then a trendy outfit but not country clubbish - again - hard to explain!:p

The Bible says "Come as you are" so they are heading in the right direction:D

I am sure some will argue that a place of worship and spiritual cleansing is less important that a place of dining on banquet food:p

Maybe the dining room is the spiritual experience many seek..just maybe!

Your welcome! It's nice to know most of the CC'ers at least don't mind jeans in the MDR!:) And I think most of those that do, although not in the majority, most have been quite pleasant about it.

Agree and at the same time though a few do not like Poly in the MDR most are ok with it.My guess is there are some Miserable People in Denim and Poly

:cj

Nope - definitely not.

Yes absolutely so! I've lived in the NYC area all my life and Manhattan is chock full of ritzy restaurants where a suit & tie are required.

And if you add in the restaurants in the outer boroughs that require it too the number is well over 100!

Yes absolutely so! I've lived in the NYC area all my life and Manhattan is chock full of ritzy restaurants where a suit & tie are required.

And if you add in the restaurants in the outer boroughs that require it too the number is well over 100!

Guess we'll agree to disagree - some may require jacket but I cannot think of any that would require a suit and tie!!:eek: As I've said, not only do I live here but actually worked in the industry and my boyfriend still does at a very high level and in some of the most 'ritzy' and that has never been required in any of them.

Guess we'll agree to disagree - some may require jacket but I cannot think of any that would require a suit and tie!!:eek: As I've said, not only do I live here but actually worked in the industry and my boyfriend still does at a very high level and in some of the most 'ritzy' and that has never been required in any of them.

Welllllll excuse me for the semantical difference. Jacket, suit to me it's all the same thing. Jacket or suit still requires the wearing of an additional layer of clothing for a man over the shirt.

The question is about non-formal nights. You would wear a tux?

Does this look like an outfit for changing oil?....

http://www.bcbusinessonline.ca/bcb/after-hours/style/2008/10/09/boris-wertz-nexopia

Is that the guy that screwed up my 401K? Are you ladies looking at the guy or the clothes? Fast forward to a graying, 50 something with expando flex jeans and beer belly. Not quite the same image.

Ladies seem to get by wearing anything as long as it has the adjective "dressy" or "sparkly" whatever that means. ie., sparkly top, dressy flip-flops.

So IMO it comes down to dressing appropriately for the context of the function, be it jeans or otherwise. And it seems to me if you have to ask if a certain type of clothing is appropriate, in the back of your mind you know it probably isn't what the majority of others will be wearing.

Archived