Poll: Are jeans or shorts appropriate for casual night in the MDR?

Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?  

1,131 members have voted

1. 1. Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?

• Jeans are fine, shorts are not.
    • Jeans are not okay, shorts are fine.
    • Jeans and shorts are fine.
    • Neither are okay in MDR!
    • Heck - I'd wear either on Formal Night!!

We must be looking at different polls. The one that I'm looking at shows 472 votes that jeans are OK, 452 votes that they are not OK and 134 that shorts are OK.:confused::confused:

I'm looking at the same one is you. Your totals are correct.

Yes, that is becoming more and more obvious each time we cruise. People who take the time to change into clothing, as stated in the dress code, tend to apply personal hygiene as opposed to those who just came in from riding horses or hogs, wearing the same outfit they have had on all day.

Yes, that is becoming more and more obvious each time we cruise. People who take the time to change into clothing, as stated in the dress code, tend to apply personal hygiene as opposed to those who just came in from riding horses or hogs, wearing the same outfit they have had on all day.

You are unbelievable. Just because I choose to wear jeans, you define me as a person who rides hogs, doesn't change clothing and ignores personal hygiene. I would really like to cruise with you one day, just to see your ideas of sartorial elegance. You have to be a different person than you appear to be on the CC boards. Nobody could be that boorish and narrow minded.

Make a effort to to clean up for dinner or eat in the Windjammer.

Another well thought out post.:rolleyes: Before you moved to Staten Island NY, did you live in N. W. Ohio?

You are unbelievable. Just because I choose to wear jeans, you define me as a person who rides hogs, doesn't change clothing and ignores personal hygiene. I would really like to cruise with you one day, just to see your ideas of sartorial elegance. You have to be a different person than you appear to be on the CC boards. Nobody could be that boorish and narrow minded.

Another well thought out post.:rolleyes: Before you moved to Staten Island NY, did you live in N. W. Ohio?

The thing that really becomes clear to me is that the vehement anti-jeans posters must be dirty, unbrushed, uncombed, smelly and foul when they wear jeans because they automatically assume that everyone else would be that way in jeans. I mean, if they equate wearing jeans with being gross than I can only assume that whenever they wear jeans that they lack all hygiene....;)

The thing that really becomes clear to me is that the vehement anti-jeans posters must be dirty, unbrushed, uncombed, smelly and foul when they wear jeans because they automatically assume that everyone else would be that way in jeans. I mean, if they equate wearing jeans with being gross than I can only assume that whenever they wear jeans that they lack all hygiene....;)

Actually, personal experience. Tablemates were on a horse back riding excursion and came to MDR without cleaning up....still wearing their jeans, boots, etc.

Sorry, there's no requirement about getting "cleaned up" to eat anywhere on the ship.

You are putting yourself in that category.

The riding horses or hogs comment was directed at someone saying there is no requirement for getting "cleaned up." Jeans are apparently now allowed in the dresscode; therefore the comment wouldn't apply to you.

Actually, personal experience. Tablemates were on a horse back riding excursion and came to MDR without cleaning up....still wearing their jeans, boots, etc.

So naturally, ALL people who wear jeans must be people who don't clean up. I bet they didn't tip either, right?

You probably would've complained if they had been late and made you wait for your dinner to be served.

Your deductive reasoning never ceases to amaze.

QUOTE #1 - So naturally, ALL people who wear jeans must be people who don't clean up. I bet they didn't tip either, right?

QUOTE #2 - You probably would've complained if they had been late and made you wait for your dinner to be served.

Quote #1 - Not all, but of those wearing jeans/Tee's in the MDR, it is becoming more prevalent. As opposed to those who were ridig horses, returned, took showers and changed clothes before coming to MDR.

QUOTE #2 - Absolutly. RCI should close the doors and restrict entrance to the MDR no more than 10 minutes after seating time. If one cannot make it on time, there are alternative dining venues to accommodate.

So naturally, ALL people who wear jeans must be people who don't clean up. I bet they didn't tip either, right?

You probably would've complained if they had been late and made you wait for your dinner to be served.

Actually, they could be in a tuxedo and ballgown, they could be family memebers, they could be in nice jeans, they could be in ragged jeans, etc. If we have traditional seating and the people are around 10-15 minutes late we'll start w/o them...and ask the waiter not to hold our meals to be with theirs.

You are putting yourself in that category.

The riding horses or hogs comment was directed at someone saying there is no requirement for getting "cleaned up." Jeans are apparently now allowed in the dresscode; therefore the comment wouldn't apply to you.

His comment was directed at those who don't take the time to change into clothing, as stated in the dress code, as interpreted in his view. His view of the dress code doesn't allow jeans in the MDR, check out his previos posts. His comment about horses and hogs was just another denigrating comment about people that don't agree with his dress code interpretation, check out his previous posts.

Jeans are apparently now allowed in the dresscode;

I've cruised with RCI since 1980 and jeans have always been allowed in the MDR on their ships. Until just recently they always had a Country Western theme night. Surely jeans woud be OK on that night.

His comment was directed at those who don't take the time to change into clothing, as stated in the dress code, as interpreted in his view. His view of the dress code doesn't allow jeans in the MDR, check out his previos posts. His comment about horses and hogs was just another denigrating comment about people that don't agree with his dress code interpretation, check out his previous posts.

I've cruised with RCI since 1980 and jeans have always been allowed in the MDR on their ships. Until just recently they always had a Country Western theme night. Surely jeans woud be OK on that night.

Do they still have theme nights? On our last cruise in Feb '09, I do not recall seeing anything in the Compass about theme nights.

Do they still have theme nights? On our last cruise in Feb '09, I do not recall seeing anything in the Compass about theme nights.

I don't believe they do any more. I haven't seen them for about a year and a half. I guess they still have a watered down Italian Night.

One thing I do miss is the theme nights. They slowly disappeared over the years, down to CW, 50's and Caribbean/Island night. In the 80's they had many more, our favourite was Chinese Night. My wife and daughters always wore mandarin style gowns that night.

Regarding the "cleaned up" phrase people have been referring to: it is definitely not a requirement in order to eat dinner in the MDR on Royal Caribbean. It's also not directed at those who wear jeans or shorts, just a general comment.

On one cruise, our tablemates came directly from the basketball court. They were sweaty, and wearing sleeveless sports tops over tshirts, and those nike-type shiny basketball shorts. And yucky old sneakers. And this was on formal night. I was offended that they did not have respect for their fellow diners to at least take a shower and wear nice shorts.

People will all have their opinions, but I don't understand the amount of anger these threads generate.

Regarding the "cleaned up" phrase people have been referring to: it is definitely not a requirement in order to eat dinner in the MDR on Royal Caribbean. It's also not directed at those who wear jeans or shorts, just a general comment.

On one cruise, our tablemates came directly from the basketball court. They were sweaty, and wearing sleeveless sports tops over tshirts, and those nike-type shiny basketball shorts. And yucky old sneakers. And this was on formal night. I was offended that they did not have respect for their fellow diners to at least take a shower and wear nice shorts.

People will all have their opinions, but I don't understand the amount of anger these threads generate.

The animosity that these threads create is partly caused by the peoples ideas of what pops into their heads when any disagreeable subject arises. The thought of people sitting in the dining room in shorts doesn't bother me one bit BUT when they arrive in the condition you describe, that's another story altogether.

The animosity that these threads create is partly caused by the peoples ideas of what pops into their heads when any disagreeable subject arises. The thought of people sitting in the dining room in shorts doesn't bother me one bit BUT when they arrive in the condition you describe, that's another story altogether.

I'm with you on this. I don't care what anyone is wearing, shorts tank top none of that bothers me but I know how I smell after a workout on the basketball court and I wouldn't want to sit and eat with me.

I honestly believe that most insults are for entertainment purposes only.I have never witnessed this on a cruise

:cj

In that situation, my beef would be with the maitre'd for allowing them in.

That would be my reaction also. Fortunately we have never even come close to a situation like that. In fact our table companions have always been the best that one could wish for.

I chose neither. But, I think, on the shorter 3- or 4-day cruises, on casual night, a nice pair of dressy shorts, with a button down, polo, or tropical shirt are fine for guys.

I don't like to see jeans on a cruise at all. Unless it's in a cooler climate, of course. I'm thinking of Bahamian or Caribbean cruises. People in jeans look so out of place, IMO. :)

Archived