Helsinki Suggestions

Eve

You didn't say how long you will be there, but if you want advice, just type in Helsinki, in the search box and scores of threads will come up telling you, in detail, what to see and how to go about doing it.

We did Helsinki as a day trip from our Baltic Cruise. Out of all the other ports, I found Helsinki nice, but not spectacular, as I felt in many of the other ports. We did some time in Market Square, walked to some of the churches that are in the same vicinity, took the tram 3T to take us around the town.

We also took the ferry to the Fort. This, to us, was a complete waste of time, but the ferry ride was nice. We also walked around the shopping areas, and went to see the Synogogue in town. People there are extra friendly, always trying to help you, but I would have prefered more time in Stockholm than time in Helsinki.

We visited the 3 famous churches (Lutheran Cathedral, Russian Orthodox, and Temppeliaukio "Rock Church"), and Sibelius Monument in the morning. In the afternoon, we took ferry ride to Suomenlinna Fortress. I enjoyed both the ferry ride and the fortress (didn't think it's a waste of time).

We bought Tourist Tickets (6 euro per person) from the bus driver. The Tourist Ticket covered all public bus rides and ferries to/from Suomenlinna.

I also felt that Helsinki was my least favorite port. However, the Rock Church is certainly one of the highlights of the trip! While we did not stop at the market, I would put that on my list should I return. Not to shop per se, just to take in the local flavors.

On our cruise, there was a very wealthy woman who shopped at the markets (these are just outside stands with canvas awnings) and purchased a fur stole! It would have been a real treat to watch her shop there.

Stockmann's Department Store in the center of town is enormous and has anything you could ever want to buy--the top floor had many local foods, guidebooks and souvenirs at decent prices. There was also a supermarket next door that had many good picnic lunch items.

Les

Terry, Nice pictures. What date were you there? The pictures look like warm weather.

THANKS for the kind comments on the pictures! It was Tuesday, July 29, 2008, when were there in Helsinki. We arrived at 8 am and departed at 5 pm. On the day we were there, it was sunrise at 4:55 am and sunset at 9:57 pm. The high/low weather averages for Helsinki are June: 68/48 °F; July: 70/52 °F. We had an enjoyable time in Helsinki and are happy to have seen the area and experienced its history, architecture, natural settings, etc. Terry in Ohio

Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing. We're thinking of doing the Maasdam 35-day roundtrip Boston next year. What ship were you on? What were your favorite ports?

THANKS for your nice and kind comments on the pictures! We were on an eleven day cruise on the Crystal Symphony from London/Dover that hit Oslo, Copenhagen, Helsinki, three days in St. Petersburg, Tallinn/Estonia and then ended in Stockholm. Russia was our super top favorite, then it was Copenhagen as the next most loved. Tallinn was a very nice surprise joy. Stockholm was very good. Oslo and Helsinki were good, but they have don't the depth of history and architecture there as you have in St. Petersburg and Copenhagen, etc.

If you are thinking of a 35-day cruise from Boston with two trans-Atlantic crossing, my first question is . . . WHY? That cruise gives you eleven sea day and lots of Iceland, Newfoundland and Greenland. There are some interesting stops and things to see. Weather can be a little more challenging on those north Atlantic crossing. BUT . . . what have been your past cruise experiences and do you most like to see, do and experience? Tell us more! That cruise will not really give you that much for the Baltics, Russia, etc. You will have some time in Copenhagen and Oslo, plus Amsterdam. Bergen and Alesund are nice, but they don't give you the great Norway fjords. What are your interests and goals to see and do in Europe? I have heard good things about that ship, its size and character. It's a medium-sized ship with 1200 plus people, but it is fortunately not a massive 2000-3000 person ship.

Look forward to hearing more. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Thank you for the reply. We've been on 35 cruises. Most enjoyed the Auckland, NZ to Sydney, Australia 12 day with the fjords and many ports of interest. Also 30-day roundtrip San Diego to Hawaii and South Pacific. We enjoy the sea days and meeting and interacting with new people. (Lots of them CC'ers!) Last summer we did the Med ... Venice to Barcelona. Wouldn't do it again in the summer. Too hot and too many people!! Neither my DH nor I enjoy flying overseas. Flying used to be a pleasure, but NO MORE!! Consequently the roundtrip Boston sounds good to us and we see lots of places. Although we have 264 days on HAL, we have not been on the Maasdam. However, we are boarding her on 10/10 from Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale 13 days. She carries 1,258 guests and we like that size ship. Our Med cruise was on the Emerald Princess (BIG!) and we did not like it as much although a beautiful ship. Thank you again for the pictures.

Thank you for the reply. We've been on 35 cruises. Most enjoyed the Auckland, NZ to Sydney, Australia 12 day with the fjords and many ports of interest. Also 30-day roundtrip San Diego to Hawaii and South Pacific. We enjoy the sea days and meeting and interacting with new people. (Lots of them CC'ers!) Last summer we did the Med ... Venice to Barcelona. Wouldn't do it again in the summer. Too hot and too many people!! Neither my DH nor I enjoy flying overseas. Flying used to be a pleasure, but NO MORE!! Consequently the roundtrip Boston sounds good to us and we see lots of places. Although we have 264 days on HAL, we have not been on the Maasdam. However, we are boarding her on 10/10 from Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale 13 days. She carries 1,258 guests and we like that size ship. Our Med cruise was on the Emerald Princess (BIG!) and we did not like it as much although a beautiful ship. Thank you again for the pictures.

THANKS G&G for the added info! Can understand your situation. Flying is more challenging these days. Always "trade-offs" on the travel choices and options. If you like historic settings and great architecture, you might look at some type of Baltics and Russia cruise. So much to see and enjoy there! Coming back from Stockholm last summer, we had three flights, including going through the Heathrow 5 and 3 Terminals, two terminals at O'Hare on the way to Columbus, Ohio. Everything was smooth, on time, our luggage there for us perfectly. In many cases, it does work correctly. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

THANKS for the kind comments on the pictures! It was Tuesday, July 29, 2008, when were there in Helsinki. We arrived at 8 am and departed at 5 pm. On the day we were there, it was sunrise at 4:55 am and sunset at 9:57 pm. The high/low weather averages for Helsinki are June: 68/48 °F; July: 70/52 °F. We had an enjoyable time in Helsinki and are happy to have seen the area and experienced its history, architecture, natural settings, etc. Terry in Ohio

Hi Terry,

Where exactly are your pictures posted? I would very much like to see them, but can't find them. :confused:

Thanks,

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Helsinki is certainly not in the same class as glorious St Petersburg and it may not have the history of Tallinn or the beauty of Stockholm, but most visitors seem to think it's a nice place for a relaxed day. I reckon it's also one of the friendliest ports on the Baltic.

Below are a few of the less familiar views, like the inside of the central railway station.

16764.jpg

There's a beach that is pretty and clean.

10931.jpg

In June they even have a samba carnival.

16866.jpg

Here's how you won't see the market place: in winter.

13881.jpg

...which is probably why the Finns are so happy when summer arrives.

- Lucy

The pub tram is a great way of spending an hour.

16573.jpg

You'll find the details at http://www.sinebrychoff.fi/page.php?page_id=476. (Koff is the name of the brewery, though it sounds more like a tobacco company!)

The pub tram is especially worth considering if you happen to arrive on a rainy day, when Helsinki is not otherwise much fun.

Hope you get sunny ones, anyway.

- Lucy

Archived