Magic rumor info from my PVP

Folks, management is pulling Elation 'cause she isn't making enough money. :( This is a business, not a "Please put your new ship by me!" decision. :rolleyes: The western economy is especially hard hit and far away from the company's "core business". Carnival ain't putting another ship there for awhile, especially one as large as Magic. For cruising, the area also has limited national appeal because of the limitation on possible ports. That's not California's fault, just the way it is.

I think there are two reasonable choices for Magic after any initial Europe or NYC weeks.... Miami as the new flagship replacing Glory or Valor (which may then assume Destiny's current role while she relocates) or Galveston. Splendor is the last brand new ship the west will see for a few years in part because of the costs involved in the repo around South America for the ships larger than Spirit class.

I'm hoping for New Orleans too. Before Katrina there were two ships in NO, and the port is much improved from our first Conquest cruise. We only sailed from Galveston once and it was not a good experience. I have read some reviews and it doesn't sound as if Galveston has gotten their act together.

With the cost of airfare I also think that more people will drive to NO than to Galveston.

Does anyone know when they announced Dream's homeport? I would think they will be doing it soon for the Magic in order to start bookings.

according to 2 employees I spoke to in Long beach, both ships (Splendor & Paradise) sail full every week. They are allowed a free trip with their employment & (as of July) they were still waiting for an opening.

On the Splendor, we tried to move to a different cabin (we were between a family which booked the cabins on either side of us & shouted over the balconies to communicate), & all of them were booked, so you can't say that they aren't doing well in the summers.

"Sailing Full" isn't the issue....the price they are getting for each person to accomplish that goal is the issue. Carnival is having to heavily discount these cabins....

Texas and Oklahoma might have a riot if we don't get a new ship. Ha ha ha. You don't want to see a BIG Texan cry and an OKIE have a tantrum. LOL:D

If the Magic is going anywhere besides Florida....I would have to guess Galveston.

Carnival has been able to fill ships there without discounting....

I'm hoping for New Orleans too. Before Katrina there were two ships in NO, and the port is much improved from our first Conquest cruise. We only sailed from Galveston once and it was not a good experience. I have read some reviews and it doesn't sound as if Galveston has gotten their act together.

With the cost of airfare I also think that more people will drive to NO than to Galveston.

Does anyone know when they announced Dream's homeport? I would think they will be doing it soon for the Magic in order to start bookings.

I think by Carnival making the Triumph a 4, 5 and 7 day cruise option...that Carnival indicated they do not intend to send another ship there...much less a new one.

When they tried to send the Triumph the first time and it did not book.....that pretty much sealed the deal of only one ship for awhile longer.

My guess would not be California because if you look Elation is very cheap - and when I priced LA and San Diego, the same cruise was at least $100 pp for San Diego on the same sailing dates. It is just like comparing Galveston, NO and Mobile (all 2 hours apart).

I hope not Miami - they have too many! I like the idea of Galveston.

I decided I am excited about the Elation move because it does NOT have the water works because it should still have the basketball court. Please do not upgrade this ship as we had decided we were done with Fantasy Class ships! (My 13 year old really wants to sail with basketball court - he enjoyed it on NCL) (Canceled our December cruise after Sensation bad time)

Retractable roof is not a big deal for Alaska - didn't have one on our Alaska NCL cruise for all those previous posts. Whatever has the most balcony's would be the most logical.

From what my TA has Told me.... who is in tight with Carnival .... Galveston Fills the Ecstasy & Conquest Every week with No Problem. The prices out of Galveston are higher also than out of NOLA. My TA also said that the Galveston Market is Extreamly Strong for Carnival.

Just Guessing.... if Galveston is that Strong of a Market for Carnival.... it would make sense to put the Magic in Galveston which sails both the Eastern & Western Caribbean routes.

If that does in fact happen, ........Magic being Ported in Galveston.... The big question is .....Where will the Conquest go ?

My TA said that Texas Loves the Ecstasy... and she will probably remain ther for the Shorter Routes (4 & 5 Day cruises)

I think by Carnival making the Triumph a 4, 5 and 7 day cruise option...that Carnival indicated they do not intend to send another ship there...much less a new one.

When they tried to send the Triumph the first time and it did not book.....that pretty much sealed the deal of only one ship for awhile longer.

It didn't book the first time because of public misconceptions fueled by inaccurate media reports and Carnival knew it.

The second time it was announced, Terry Thornton indicated it was possible that Carnival Magic would be based in New Orleans.

It does seem that the Carnival strategy is shifting to scattering the ships geographically and not concentrating them all in a few ports, especially given the BS fees that the airlines just keep increasing.

It gives them less exposure to disaster and a foot in the door in new ports once the economy fully recovers.

Therefore, Carnival Magic is going to New Orleans. :D

No offense to San Diego, but I hope that this information is NOT correct!

As others have mentioned, the West Coast isn't really doing too well with 4 ships, I doubt that they would bring the newest, largest ship to San Diego....

Technically we only have 3 1/2, Spirit part time and Elation, Paradise & Splendor. Next spring that will go to 2 1/2 They all sell full every week. I don't know where everyone gets the idea they don't:rolleyes: You don't see especially great deals on any of them except Splendor. We would love to have the deals Fla gets anyday year round!

They can take that ship and move her anywhere, PLEASE DO! People DO NOT want to cruise on that ship more than once for the most part. She's ugly.. I haven't sailed on her yet but have friends that have and have read numerous reviews of the terrrible decor and they won't cruise on her again. Take that and a less than phenominal itinerary and you have a problem.

The Mexican Riv is not bad but you can only do it so many times. People out here tend to be the ones that are the repeat customers and if they want that to continue they need to have a ship out here that is attractive, that will sale to that market and the Splendor isn't the ship. WIth the economy in Ca the way it is, that is also a big part of the problem. We never got any great deals prior to this..

My thoughts are, the economy, a tired itinerary and a not so popular ship have given the Splendor prices a hit. The Elation 5 days was the best itinerary we have seen and now they are taking that. So I truly hope it is to bring us something better.:)

I am pulling for Galveston!:) The fact that they sail full every week at sky high prices tells me there is a market here. We Texans love our cruising and for the most part, this state isnt filling the recession. Atleast not in my area. Does anyone know of the announcement date?

I just hope if they put the Magic in Galveston that they improve the cruise terminal. Galveston is a 9 hour drive and Port Canaveral is about 8 so either is doable. I just have bad memories of embarkation in Galveston.

I'm hoping for New Orleans because it's only a 3 hour drive, we can go down the morning of the cruise.

I can't wait to try out the Triumph. Hoping we like it enough to do some last minute long weekend cruises.

[quote name='jobster71']I think from the lack of bookings from the Splendor, it will not be likely that the "New" ship will sail from California. The Splendor has cabins selling for less than $450 for Spring break for 1A cabins and Spa rooms for less than $600 dollars per person. :confused:

I like California myself, because I use to live there. But financially it will not be good for Carnival to have 2 huge ship to fill.[/quote]

I just booked for spring break (yesterday) on the Splendor for 3/21 - 3/28 which is a week BEFORE spring break and the lowest category balcony cabins under the Early Saver fare for this sailing are $649. I don't think there are Spa cabins for under $600 for Spring break, in fact they are more in the $800 range and up the week I am sailing, and even more the week after, which is Spring Break for most people. Let me know if where I can get a spa cabin for under $600 on the Splendor for Spring Break, I'd love to do it.

[quote name='misguidedangel']I thought the rumor was that the Magic was going to be going to Galveston and replacing the Conquest. I would like to see it in Galveston and for them to change the itinerarty up and do something a little like the Freedom, 6 and 8 day cruises!!!![/QUOTE]

San Diego will take the Conquest!! :D

[quote name='CorvetteLady']I just hope if they put the Magic in Galveston that they improve the cruise terminal. Galveston is a 9 hour drive and Port Canaveral is about 8 so either is doable. I just have bad memories of embarkation in Galveston.

I'm hoping for New Orleans because it's only a 3 hour drive, we can go down the morning of the cruise.

I can't wait to try out the Triumph. Hoping we like it enough to do some last minute long weekend cruises.[/quote]

I have had good and bad experiences with embarkation in Galveston but I have to say that the bad ones were not the fault of the terminal or Galveston. It was the ship.

[quote name='Litewait']They all sell full every week. I don't know where everyone gets the idea they don't:rolleyes: [B]You don't see especially great deals on any of them except Splendor[/B]. We would love to have the deals Fla gets anyday year round!
[/QUOTE]

As others have mentioned, the problem is not filling up the ships. It's having to deeply discount sailing after sailing in order to fill them up.

Every time that I search online for cheap cruises and sort them by price, the San Diego and Los Angeles short cruises ALWAYS appear at the top of the list.

If $159 for a 4 night cruise on either the Paradise or the Elation doesn't look like a great deal, I don't know what is!

-0-

Someone mentioned placing the Magic in New York. Although it wouldn't be my favorite option, I know the northeast crowd is willing to pay a premium so that they dont have to fly, so maybe the Magic would be extra profitable if they did sail from there...

[quote name='cruise52']I just booked for spring break (yesterday) on the Splendor for 3/21 - 3/28 which is a week BEFORE spring break and the lowest category balcony cabins under the Early Saver fare for this sailing are $649. I don't think there are Spa cabins for under $600 for Spring break, in fact they are more in the $800 range and up the week I am sailing, and even more the week after, which is Spring Break for most people. Let me know if where I can get a spa cabin for under $600 on the Splendor for Spring Break, I'd love to do it.[/quote]

Check out March 14-20 that is Spring break here in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas region. Compare that to the Dream prices for the same week.

Archived