Need Advice on whether to book Carnival or RCCL

CloseCreations

My husband and I are veteran cruisers - we've cruised 8 times but only on RCCL or Norweigan. We are planning a September 2010 cruise out of San Juan for us, our 6-year old and my in-laws. My father-in-law got laid off recently and my in-laws can't really afford to travel now (they used to go away every March). 2010 is their 40th wedding anniversary and as a gift, we are planning to take them on a cruise and pay all expenses, even tours, so that they can have a great trip to celebrate.

In looking at prices on RCCL and then comparing them to Carnival, I was amazed at what I could save. Also, FIL is not wild about "being confined on a ship" so when I saw Victory is in port every day I figured this would be the best itinerary for us.

I've seen an awful lot of mixed reviews on Victory out of San Juan. We are all very laid back travelers and thus some of the concerns I've seen posted would not bother us. However, I would like to see what people think about the 2 lines. Should I save the money and go on Carnival - it's my in-laws first ever cruise so I don't want anything awful to happen so that they never want to go again.

Also, has anyone had a 6 year old in the Carnival kids club? My son loves the RCCL one.

Thanks very much for any feedback!

My husband and I are veteran cruisers - we've cruised 8 times but only on RCCL or Norweigan. We are planning a September 2010 cruise out of San Juan for us, our 6-year old and my in-laws. My father-in-law got laid off recently and my in-laws can't really afford to travel now (they used to go away every March). 2010 is their 40th wedding anniversary and as a gift, we are planning to take them on a cruise and pay all expenses, even tours, so that they can have a great trip to celebrate.

In looking at prices on RCCL and then comparing them to Carnival, I was amazed at what I could save. Also, FIL is not wild about "being confined on a ship" so when I saw Victory is in port every day I figured this would be the best itinerary for us.

I've seen an awful lot of mixed reviews on Victory out of San Juan. We are all very laid back travelers and thus some of the concerns I've seen posted would not bother us. However, I would like to see what people think about the 2 lines. Should I save the money and go on Carnival - it's my in-laws first ever cruise so I don't want anything awful to happen so that they never want to go again.

Also, has anyone had a 6 year old in the Carnival kids club? My son loves the RCCL one.

Well I will give you my 2 cents.. since your in-laws have never cruised before they will not know anything different between the 2 lines.. I would book the Victory..the itin itself is fantastic... We LUVED the ship it was our 1st cruise in March 2006 and we will be going on cruise #8 in December all Carnival... Just book it and enjoy:)

All I can say about Camp Carnival is that it gets raves reviews from what I have read here.. I am sure your son will enjoy it ;)

I agree with the above poster. They have nothing to compare it to. Also, it is a free trip for them. They will probably be happy just to be on the cruise. I also like the idea of being in a different port everyday. This is a very generous thing that you are doing. Save yourself some money and book Carnival. I've never had a bad cruise on Carnival.

I've been on the Victory, although on a different itinerary and I've done the RT itinerary out of San Juan on the Destiny. I'm also Platinum on RCCL. I personally like Carnival better than RCCL, but most of my preferences involve food issues; IMHO, Carnival has much better food. But, RCCL has much nicer ships. It sounds like both ships sailing out of SJ. If that is the case, then both cruises will be similar. We try to avoid both lines during Holidays, Spring Break, and summer, because they attract large numbers of kids; however, the two cruises I mentioned above were during the summer with our grandkids and both times they were zoos. By September everyone should be back in school and you should be fine.

The first time we cruise Carnival, (after NCL, Costa, Celebrity and RCCL), we were very disappointed. However, we have cruised Carnival since then 8 more times. The Victory is not as nice as some ships, but nicer than others. We did the San Juan trip on her last March. Six ports in seven days. We came home exhausted, but it was fun. DH wants to do it again.

It really has more to do with your attitude. If you and your DH are going to compare it to RCCL the whole time, you might be disappointed as well. However, if you have a good attitude that this is NOT RCCL, but Carnival you will have a great time.

Only used the 2-5 year old Camp Carnival. It was awesome. That is why we cruise Carnival.

so I don't want anything awful to happen so that they never want to go again....

Define "awful"

I've sailed on both Carnival and RCL, and as others have mentioned, you will be fine.

• Food, entertainment, and daily activities are very similar on both lines
  • Standard cabins on Carnival tend to be larger
  • Decoration on Carnival is going to be much more "colorful". On RCL, all ships follow a more sober and elegant decor. On Carnival, each ship has a different theme. The Victory's theme is the Oceans of the World. Expect to see a lot of blue and green decor.
  • Just like when you sail from New York you get a lot of people from the northeast, and when you sail from Galveston you get a lot of people from Texas, sailing from San Juan you'll get a lot of people from Puerto Rico. (I'm originally from Puerto Rico and have sailed from San Juan 6 times). Although you'll have the same activities that you'd find on a cruise departing from any port in the US mainland, you will also find activities geared towards a Spanish speaking clientele.
  • The Southern Caribbean is GREAT. It's going to give your inlaws a taste of the REAL Caribbean and not the fake, touristy atmosphere created at ports like Cozumel and Nassau
  • Don't get on the ship and start comparing everything with RCL. You'll go insane, and will drive your inlaws insane. Go with an open mind.

In my opinion I would go with Carnival for most of the reasons posted above. We were on RCCL Serenade of the Seas in July our second time on RCCL and have been on Carnival 7 times.

We had a great time on both lines. There are pros and cons for us on both lines but we prefer Carnival. Since the the money and ports work for you and the fact that your in laws do not have any expectations I would go with Carnival.

Carnival has slightly bigger standard cabins and bigger batherooms.

Royal has a shower door - got to love that but bathroom over all is tinier.

Like sliding glass door to balcony on Royal.

Food in our opinion is much better on Carnival notably at lunch and dinner. In our opinion no comparison here.

Breakfast on Royal in the buffet was better than Carnival breakfast buffet though.

Specialty restaurant on Carnival much better.

We have not been on Victory (although have been on the Triiumph which is similar and likeed it) or used the kids club so cannot comment there.

Well I will give you my 2 cents.. since your in-laws have never cruised before they will not know anything different between the 2 lines.. I would book the Victory..the itin itself is fantastic... We LUVED the ship it was our 1st cruise in March 2006 and we will be going on cruise #8 in December all Carnival... Just book it and enjoy:)

All I can say about Camp Carnival is that it gets raves reviews from what I have read here.. I am sure your son will enjoy it ;)

I have never seen a crying child in Camp Carnival, in fact most of them don't want to leave.

We were in the same boat as you. We had a Princess cruise booked and then my FIL got laid off and we felt bad for going on a cruise while they were struggling so we decided to switch to Carnival so we could afford to take them with us. We sailed Carnival last year and had a great time, it was just minor things that we liked about Princess better that had us going back. But with the cost difference the minor things become even more minor. We are paying the same price for 6 of us on Carnival as we were for 4 of us on Princess. We like both lines, our kids love Camp Carnival. They were 7 and 11 last year and had a blast. I think the kids program on Carnival is better than Princess IMO. Our best friends are die hard RCCL cruisers but after seeing what we paid for the 6 of us they are most likely jumping ship (no pun intended) next year. Pick one of the newer ships with waterworks and your kids will love you ;)

I bet that the Carnival board will say Carnival...RCI will say RCI

to be neutral, why not ask on the NCL board? <grin>

My vote : Carnival of course

food is great....staff is nice...ships are fun...price is right

Here is a tip...we have an indoor "rock climbing" place here in Lauderdale

I think they have one/more in Miami too

we have Johnny Rockets

and we have tons of shopping malls..

so there ya go....visit Miami or Lauderdale before after the cruise and eat a burger at Johnnys , climb a rock wall, and walk around beautiful malls....

and cruise on Carnival <grin>

I've done two RC's and three Carnival cruises. To me, the biggest difference is nightlife. I find there to be much more going on after 7pm on Carnival. Just my experience. I thought the food was a touch better on RC. But, I also think food is generally better on the smaller ships. (less people to feed)

Are you dedicated to san juan? Why not book the Dream out of FL? Newest ship and all that.

Thanks to everyone for posting! :D I really appreciate the feedback and it has helped me make my choice (although I was really leaning towards Carnival). I am definitely going to go for it and book the Carnival trip. I love, love, love the itinerary of this particular cruise, esp. since Carnival changed Antigua to St. Maarten. With 5 of us to purchase plane tickets for, plus 2 cabins, tours and then a hotel in San Juan for the Saturday night before the cruise, I can definitely put the $$$'s I'll be saving to good use elsewhere.

Thanks to all for the feedback on the kids club as well. My son will be thrilled to get to go again. We could not get him out of the RCCL one!

In my opinion I would go with Carnival for most of the reasons posted above. We were on RCCL Serenade of the Seas in July our second time on RCCL and have been on Carnival 7 times.

Carnival has slightly bigger standard cabins and bigger batherooms.

Royal has a shower door - got to love that but bathroom over all is tinier.

Like sliding glass door to balcony on Royal.

Food in our opinion is much better on Carnival notably at lunch and dinner. In our opinion no comparison here.

Breakfast on Royal in the buffet was better than Carnival breakfast buffet though.

Specialty restaurant on Carnival much better.

I love the idea of a slightly bigger cabin and bathroom! :D There's nothing like the bathroom on a cruise!

Thanks for this info.

Define "awful"

Don't get on the ship and start comparing everything with RCL. You'll go insane, and will drive your inlaws insane. Go with an open mind.

We never compare our current vacation/ship/ect with what we've done in the past. We're too laid back and every trip is an adventure waiting to happen. We always have a great time and make the best of any issues and try to take them in stride. After all, it's vacation - even the worst vacation is better than being at work! I'd rather be on a ship than anywhere else. :D

I have done both lines. The Royal ships with the promenade I believe have more of the "wow" factor...and probably a bit of disbelief that you are actually on a ship. I like the promenade myself; however, I certainly would not have a problem sailing Carnival again..looking at a Thanksgiving itin on the Freedom next year.

• The food is about equal quality
  • Carnival (at least the last time I was on it) had pizza up on the lido deck 24/7), Royal (at least on some ships) have the Promenade Cafe which is open 24/7 with pastries, pizza, etc. I know the Serenade of the Seas does not have the cafe; however, Adventure (I think that is the other S. Carib cruise) does.
  • Balconies - Carnival has door, Royal has sliding glass door
  • Decor - like others have said Royal is more subtle and elegant but certainly not something that would make or break a decision
  • Both have nice entertainment.
  • Carnival has nightly waiter parades
  • Carnival splits the dining rooms up into white, red, and blue teams. Anytime you win or participate in an activity they ask what color you are. You will hear the score each night (I am sure there is someone else that can explain it better.
  • Carnival seemed to have more activities that were available for both seatings, or would schedule them at a different time on different days. Royal doesn't... We had late seating (8:30) on Royal in April; however, in 13 days I could never participate in the Ballroom Dancing because it always started at 8:30.
  • Sea days Carnival has a tea, which is actually a tea. Royal's "tea time" is in the buffet (as a buffet) and includes things such as nachos.

I bet that the Carnival board will say Carnival...RCI will say RCI

to be neutral, why not ask on the NCL board? <grin>

My vote : Carnival of course

food is great....staff is nice...ships are fun...price is right

Here is a tip...we have an indoor "rock climbing" place here in Lauderdale

I think they have one/more in Miami too

we have Johnny Rockets

and we have tons of shopping malls..

so there ya go....visit Miami or Lauderdale before after the cruise and eat a burger at Johnnys , climb a rock wall, and walk around beautiful malls....

and cruise on Carnival <grin>

This is one of the most humorous explanations I have read...but, you forgot one thing...where is the ice rink? ;)

While food is very subjective yahootelemundo would be in a small minority with that statement.

Bill

He likes to stir the pot:rolleyes:

I think the food on Carnival is far superior to RCL. I've only been on each of them once but of the 4 lines I've sailed Carnival had the best food.

OP....go Carnival and enjoy saving a huge chunk o change!

[quote name=

This is one of the most humorous explanations I have read...but' date=' you forgot one thing...where is the ice rink? ;)[/quote]

LOL>> we even have ice rinks here too...believe it or not

or just rent a video...

for the price you could buy tickets to the ice capades many times over I guess <grin>

Archived