No included drinks during dinner? What?

Dukegirl5577

I know it's commonplace to charge for alcohol or soda, but water and coffee? Seriously? Those are generally the only free drinks you get on a cruise ship, yet MSC charges extra for this.

Water and coffee is only available during lunch in the buffet, but the buffet is not open during dinner.

I have never heard of this before. Unbelievable.

Where are you sailing? It makes a difference as to what is served free.

Med cruises they are extras - clientle is primarily European - and they are used to being charged for these items. Granted, charging for water is something that is hard for Americans to get over - but that's the way it is in most restaurants in Europe. When in Rome....:)

My parents are on the Opera right now, cruising from Venice to Croatia/Greece/Ukraine/Turkey/Montenegro.

I can absolutely see charging for bottled water -- of course -- but to not even offer filtered tap water as a free option (particularly when it comes right out of the soda fountain dispensers at the buffet during lunch for free) seems ridiculous. I've never been charged for water poured into my glass from a pitcher in a restaurant in Europe...only if I order bottled water.

Where are you sailing? It makes a difference as to what is served free.

Med cruises they are extras - clientle is primarily European - and they are used to being charged for these items. Granted, charging for water is something that is hard for Americans to get over - but that's the way it is in most restaurants in Europe. When in Rome....:)

No, you are charged for bottled water at restaurants in Europe: Pellegino, Vichy, Evian, etc -- but generally not for tap water - in Paris, you simply request "eau de Paris" for tap water -and make a comparable request in Rome. (If you do want bottled water in Rome - make sure you tell the waiter to not open the bottle - otherwise you will be given tap water in a refilled Pellegrino bottle - and be charged for it.)

But charging for tap water aboard ship is simply abusive.

I seem to recall that people on this board have said that they would get tap water if they requested it, some said it would take a little perseverance, other have said their waiter remembered and always brought some to the table. It won't automatically come to the table and be refilled constantly like in the US though.

One nice thing though is MSC doesn't appear to charge a service charge on drink orders.

We'll just probably get a wine package that includes water and go whole hog and make it "with gas"! Don't know, but the fizzy water would probably be a charge on the US ships, anyway.

If you manage to get tap water then there is never a charge for it. It is vey easy to get on US sailings, not so easy on other sailings where bottled water is the norm. MSC only charge for bottled water.

I do understand US passengers getting irate/suyrprised/dismayed or whatever at paying for somthing that they get t home for free (although I doubt you get mineral water for free). The way I look at it is, I maybe spend 4 euros per day max ($5) on bottled water - less if I buy a water package, so definitley no more thatn £0E ($35) per week. The cruiselines who do include water with meals are going to cost me anything from $500 to several thousand dollars more per week (with single supllements), so over all, I'd rather have a cheaper basic cruise price and pay for water, coffee and even gelato as I want it.

for camofwilliamsburg: re your recent reply about water. Were you sailing

in Europe in the Carib? I believe MSC changes some of their policies for the Carib sailings (ex.: In Europe service is 6E/day and 12E/day in the

carib).

thanks.

does msc charge for tap water on cruises out of fll?

imho if you know this info before you get on board then it is okay. we are going on the poesia and are looking forward to see a different type of cruising and atmosphere.

No they don't charge for tap water in Carib. only bottled water.

When in Dec. are you going on the Poesia?

We are doing the Christmas cruise.

MSC serves FREE tap water in the dining room. All you have to do is ask. There are no problems.

No sense letting a cup of coffee ruin your vacation. Just choose another line. But perhaps in doing so you will find other things less that annoy you more, or are not as enjoyable than they would have been on MSC.

Archived