Tropical Depression Heating Up?

Ships R Great

Weather says there is a disturance that has a "medium" chance of turning into a tropical storm off the Cape Verde Islands. Yesterday it was a "slight" chance. Any chance this will affect next week's cruises? Pull out your crystal balls nad tell me what you think.

My crystal ball says.... "No Worries... I have no place to be and no time to get there... I am on a cruise vacation". "Now point me to the bar or have someone take my order cuz it's 5 oclock somewhere" !

These thing take time to form, if they do at all. Then they take time to creep across the pond. I wouldn't be surprised if you get tropical showers even daily, but a "medium" probability of forming a TS means that some but not all models are saying there'sa 30-50% chance of becoming a TS over the next several days.

Still always be watchful.

Living in Florida, we track anything they say has a remote chance of developing. Although it is way too early to be certain, according to the forecast models, it looks like it is going to make a turn Northwest and eventually North pretty far southeast of Bermuda, so much so that Bermuda won't even be impacted.

But anything can happen and it is way too early to be sure, so keep an eye on it.

We've been VERY lucky this year to date.

I think today is the actual date of the height of the season.

Let's hope the back side is as easy on us as the front side!

Living in Florida, we watch for storms etc. We have already passed the peak of hurricane season. My understanding is that it is Sept 10. I hope the rest of the season is as great as it has been.

OP,

I wouldn't be worried about this possible storm. Enjoy your cruise.

Half of my cruises have been either rerouted due to storms or the flu scare. I have every reason to believe that my upcoming one next week has a 50/50 chance of also being rerouted. Not at all surprsed that there may be a storm brewing up just to spite me.:D

Thank you for posting all future sailings. I will be avoiding them! :D

We'll be in the Bahamas Oct 8 & 9 on Pride...hope this doesn't turn into anything or that it goes nowhere near if it does. We've been fortunate to have avoided large storms (except a decent sized one while on Norwegian Majesty - that was rough!). Of course, we've never cruised during peak season.

As of the 2 p.m. forecast today it now has a greater than 50% chance of becoming a tropical cyclone. But it's still not going anywhere near land.

Actually, you could make a case that the best thing that could happen is it become a tropical system soon. Once that happens they get higher cloud tops which get caught in upper level winds which tends to cause storms to curve to the right, out in the the middle of the Atlantic in this case. If it doesn't form for a while, it would have time to drift further west first and, in theory, become more of a threat to the Caribbean.

But this year the wind shear in the Caribbean has been so persistent that nothing has been able to stay together long enough to cause any real trouble. That could potentially change of course, but this looks the be a very good year for hurricanes (or rather the lack thereof).

We leave Sunday ... headed to Roatan....so we are headed the opposite direction. woo hoo!!!

Now if this TS wants to STOP us from being able to get back to port and "forced" to spend a few extra days on the ship.... I am good with that!!

I sail two weeks from tomorrow, and while I am concerned about tropical depressions turning into full blown tropical depressions and/or hurricanes, I am not going to let that ruin my vacation. So I don't get to the ports we were supposed to - again, no big deal. I'm with friends, and life is an adventure!

The weather update on the tropical depression is that there is a lot of wind sheer and it will turn in the next day or so and head straight north, no land will be affected and it will be way east of Bermuda.

Happy cruising to you all heading out in the next week or so.

I am not worried about the stoem. Actually, I would like for it to cause a little rocking and rolling on the ship. I like to know I am at sea. I like to be "rocked to sleep".

I am with you - I love the high seas! All our hurricane season cruises have actually been either glassy seas or just a little roll to the ship. Our May cruise on the Pride this year was the roughest yet - 20 foot seas at one point. I was the wacko who thought it was fun. :p Apparently crossing the gulf stream while a strong cold front moves off the eastern US coast makes for quite a ride!

Archived