Is a garment bag considered a carry-on with Delta?

crazycruzer68

I've worked in the airline industry for 14 years. The survival rate for airplane crashes is almost 98% (97.6% I believe). As has been proven time and time again, the most dangerous thing you do on a daily basis is set foot in your automobile. And no I don't work for Southwest, the parts in question were hinges that directed exhaust gases away from the wings, not cracked engine mounts, sheered control pins, etc. Southwest also has an 80% on-time departure rate.

Of course according to recent findings and FAA fines, they don't properly maintain their planes (non certified parts), but hey, the price is right :eek: :D

Actually, I believe Southwest has one of, if not, the SAFEST record in the airline industry.

Your garmet bag must fit in the overhead compartment. Yes, the airlines that charge for luggage are irritating but we simply add the cost into the price of the tickets to determine whom is less expensive. Not normally a consideration for us as the two airlines we fly most often allow a checked bag pp and one carryon and we have no need to take more luggage than that with us when cruising.

I've worked in the airline industry for 14 years. The survival rate for airplane crashes is almost 98% (97.6% I believe). As has been proven time and time again, the most dangerous thing you do on a daily basis is set foot in your automobile. And no I don't work for Southwest, the parts in question were hinges that directed exhaust gases away from the wings, not cracked engine mounts, sheered control pins, etc. Southwest also has an 80% on-time departure rate.

Not sure were you got that statistic but it is way off. Your chances of actually being in a commercial airline crash is minuscule if you were in a crash the survival rate is 50% at best (depending on which segment of the flight you were in, takeoff, landing etc.).

Here are the statitics:

Survival rate of passengers on

aircraft involved in fatal accidents

carrying 10+ passengers

Decade surviving

1930s 21%

1940s 20%

1950s 24%

1960s 19%

1970s 25%

1980s 34%

1990s 35%

2000s 24%

Survival rate of passengers on aircraft ditching during controlled flight 53%

As for Southwest I fly them but just like any other airline they look for revenue streams. Yes they do not charge for bags but they do charge $10 to let you check in early.

As others stated the garment bag is a carry on and does have to fit in the overhead or under the seat unless you are flying first class in that case there is usually a closet it can be placed in.

2 free checked bags are a great thing about SWA, but I lately have found better fares with other airlines. While SWA used to be the low cost leader, those days are gone.

iagree.gif I fly frequently for business, and SWA often has some of the best routes for me to head out West for work; however, they have recently developed their own means for nickle and diming you, too...what with their Business Fare (which gives you more FF credits, priority boarding and a drink coupon) at significantly higher fares, as well as their newest offering, Early Bird Check-in, which is usually about $10 per flight to allow you to check-in online 36 hours prior to the flight, instead of 24, almost guaranteeing you an A group boarding pass.

I don't have a problem with them being competitive, but I wish they hadn't changed their business plan so drastically. That being said, I will probably continue to fly them well into the future, as they are convenient to San Antonio, have more [convenient] flights into and out of the West Coast for me, and as previously mentioned, they have a good flight record and a very good on-time record, compared to some of the other airlines to which I have recently been exposed.

Keeping that in mind though, typically, when I fly for vacation, I will use FF miles and will head out to my destination First Class on American or Delta...they don't charge for a checked bag ether. :D

This paying for your baggage is a joke! All that money for a ticket and extra for bags, of course we are going to have bags we are traveling aren't we????

As long as it meets the requirements for size & weight:

2 clicks on Deltas website:

Carry-on Baggage

All Delta passengers are allowed one carry-on bag and one personal item that meet the criteria below. See Security Check-in for liquid and gel restrictions.

Size and Weight Restrictions

If your carry-on bag doesn't meet these size and weight restrictions it must be checked, and all checked baggage rules will apply. Your bag must:

• Weigh less than 40 pounds (18 kg).
  • Not exceed 45 inches (length + width + height), or 115 cm.
  • Fit easily in our SizeCheck® unit (approximately 22"x14"x9", or 56x36x23 cm).
  • Fit in an overhead bin or underneath the seat in front of you.

Personal Items

You're allowed one personal item from this sample list:

• Purses, briefcases, camera cases, and diaper bags
  • Laptop computers (can’t be checked and must be carried on)
  • Items of a similar or smaller size to those above

Other Carry-on Items Allowed

You may also bring these items onboard. They do not count toward your personal item.

• Food items for immediate consumption
  • Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or crutches
  • One box or bag of duty free merchandise
  • A coat, jacket, or umbrella

Exceptions

Additional restrictions to carry-on baggage may exist due to available space and limitations on certain flights. If you have additional questions, please see a check-in agent for help or review our Baggage FAQs.

As long as it meets the requirements for size & weight:

2 clicks on Deltas website:

Carry-on Baggage

All Delta passengers are allowed one carry-on bag and one personal item that meet the criteria below. See Security Check-in for liquid and gel restrictions.

Size and Weight Restrictions

If your carry-on bag doesn't meet these size and weight restrictions it must be checked, and all checked baggage rules will apply. Your bag must:

• Weigh less than 40 pounds (18 kg).
  • Not exceed 45 inches (length + width + height), or 115 cm.
  • Fit easily in our SizeCheck® unit (approximately 22"x14"x9", or 56x36x23 cm).
  • Fit in an overhead bin or underneath the seat in front of you.

Personal Items

You're allowed one personal item from this sample list:

• Purses, briefcases, camera cases, and diaper bags
  • Laptop computers (can’t be checked and must be carried on)
  • Items of a similar or smaller size to those above

Other Carry-on Items Allowed

You may also bring these items onboard. They do not count toward your personal item.

• Food items for immediate consumption
  • Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or crutches
  • One box or bag of duty free merchandise
  • A coat, jacket, or umbrella

Exceptions

Additional restrictions to carry-on baggage may exist due to available space and limitations on certain flights. If you have additional questions, please see a check-in agent for help or review our Baggage FAQs.

Would my purse size have to stay within the carry on size limit ? One could almost classify my purse as luggage.:o Also, I wasn't aware food was allowed. Is that limited to anything? Does that include a drink?:confused:

Would my purse size have to stay within the carry on size limit ? One could almost classify my purse as luggage.:o Also, I wasn't aware food was allowed. Is that limited to anything? Does that include a drink?:confused:

Yes for the purse that it must conform to the size limit.

Food and drink are allowed but the drink must be purchased beyond the security check point.

This paying for your baggage is a joke! All that money for a ticket and extra for bags, of course we are going to have bags we are traveling aren't we????

Airlines are likely on deck for the next federal bailout. Wouldn't it be nice if there could be a taxpayer credit for bags? :rolleyes:

No airports for me.

Keeping that in mind though, typically, when I fly for vacation, I will use FF miles and will head out to my destination First Class on American or Delta...they don't charge for a checked bag ether. :D

We fly Delta and they charge for a checked bag. We fly from Pensacola and they do not have Southwest.

I just wish they would enforce the limits on carry-ons. I have seen people with a backpack, a duffle, and a suitcase, and nothing is said to them. This can be a problem on a small plane with limited overhead storage. We just did our first trip with just carry-ons and our main concern was if there would be space in the overhead. I would just as soon check my luggage and not have to worry but hate spending another $30.

Of course according to recent findings and FAA fines, they don't properly maintain their planes (non certified parts), but hey, the price is right :eek: :D

Then, of course, they've never had a fatal accident in their 35 years of flying and has the best safety record in the industry.

Then' date=' of course, they've never had a fatal accident in their 35 years of flying and has the best safety record in the industry.[/quote']

And what does this have to do with carry-on versus checked bags? It also is way out of date safety information. From the mid-70s on, Delta has had a very average safety record. Since the second bankruptcy, they are cutting corners right and left.

And airlines have already been bailed out three times; why should we expect any different now?

Doc:mad:

Then' date=' of course, they've never had a fatal accident in their 35 years of flying and has the best safety record in the industry.[/quote']

They have never had a fatal accident yes but Delta holds the overall best safety record for the past twenty years for domestic carriers.

Here is statistic and why it is almost insignificant to talk safety with commercial airlines:

"Aviation accidents are extremely rare, with the probability of a passenger being killed on a single flight at approximately eight million-to-one. If a passenger boarded a flight at random, once a day, everyday, it would statistically be over 21,000 years before he or she would be killed."

OH, puh-leez. Check out their safety record. It speaks for itself. Get your facts straight before you freak everbody out:rolleyes:

And never a crash. All they fly are 737's and they know them inside out.

Delta took our 2 large carry-on suitcases, one a hang-up, and checked it at the counter with no additional charge... When you reach your destination the bags will be on the walk-way between the plane & the terminal. My daughter & I were doing an 18 day T/A with both pre & post stays. No way was 1 suitcase each going to do us, and no way was I going to pay for 4 or 5 suitcases for each leg. The return was international, so no problem..

Delta took our 2 large carry-on suitcases, one a hang-up, and checked it at the counter with no additional charge... When you reach your destination the bags will be on the walk-way between the plane & the terminal. My daughter & I were doing an 18 day T/A with both pre & post stays. No way was 1 suitcase each going to do us, and no way was I going to pay for 4 or 5 suitcases for each leg. The return was international, so no problem..

Not sure when your trip was but the new baggage fees for Delta came into effect for bookings just recently and they are ridiculous.. $5 surcharge at the ticket counter ontop of the fee..there is still no fee for the 1st bag on international flights I believe.. it is on the Delta site for those that need to verify;)

Archived