Dress code for dining

friday12

Hi

I will be going on my firstcelebrity cruise in two weeks time and would like some confirmation re expected dress code for evenings, I am aware there are 3 formal nights on a 14 day cruise, we are traveling from Engaland and I do not want to try and fit a suit into my laugauge, I also do not inted to hire one on board due to cost, therefore on the formal evening we will probable eat in the Buffet areas, I nterms of the none formal nights what is expectation for dress code, I amm intending to take smart trouses, and dress shirts, is this sort of dress acceptable, or are you reqire to wear tie or blazer etc

Any feed back on this would be usefull

Your plans would certainly fall within the suggested dress codes. The Smart Casual style is right in line with your plans.

You could also consider room service on formal nights as you can order from the main dining room menu (or at least you used to be able to). The surroundings aren't nearly as nice, but you can have the same food.

You are in for a treat. Celebrity is a very nice cruising experience. Enjoy!

Wood, I think the question was reasonable and they plan to conform to the dress code by avoiding the dining room on formal nights sense they don't want to dress formally. Perfectly acceptable. But there may still be plenty of flames by people who think those who don't dress formally shouldn't be allowed on the ship.

Hi

I will be going on my firstcelebrity cruise in two weeks time and would like some confirmation re expected dress code for evenings, I am aware there are 3 formal nights on a 14 day cruise, we are traveling from Engaland and I do not want to try and fit a suit into my laugauge, I also do not inted to hire one on board due to cost, therefore on the formal evening we will probable eat in the Buffet areas, I nterms of the none formal nights what is expectation for dress code, I amm intending to take smart trouses, and dress shirts, is this sort of dress acceptable, or are you reqire to wear tie or blazer etc

Any feed back on this would be usefull

Hi. We have sailed on Celebrity many times and think your plan is sound.

The only place dress code is really enforced in our experience is in the Main Dining Room--and even on formal night, the only thing gentelmen are expected to conform to in the Main Dining Room is to wear a jacket (blazer).

We have often been dressed below the evening's dress code in other areas of the ship (the reservations-only table service area of casual dining, the buffet and in the ship's lounges, etc.) and not gotten the fish-eye from our fellow passengers. Have a great trip.

If you are on one of the M class ships like Summit, you will be able to eat in the casual dining which is white table cloth and fine service. Mostly the ask for reservations, but have seen people just show up. There you can dress in smart casual.

There is not a full buffet for dinner. Just the pasta bar,salad bar, pizza area, sometime Asian area and sushi. Enough to choose from.

If you are on one of the new ships, I think I read there is no casual dining area. Someone will clarify that I'm sure. We haven't done a new ship yet.

Casual wear on other nights generally is khaki or other nice slacks with a polo shirt or other type of nice shirt. No ties or jackets required.

You will see sport coats and ties on formal night with a nice pair of pants. Mostly however suits. And then a smaller percentage of tuxes.

If you are on one of the M class ships like Summit, you will be able to eat in the casual dining which is white table cloth and fine service. Mostly the ask for reservations, but have seen people just show up. There you can dress in smart casual.

There is not a full buffet for dinner. Just the pasta bar,salad bar, pizza area, sometime Asian area and sushi. Enough to choose from.

If you are on one of the new ships, I think I read there is no casual dining area. Someone will clarify that I'm sure. We haven't done a new ship yet.

Casual wear on other nights generally is khaki or other nice slacks with a polo shirt or other type of nice shirt. No ties or jackets required.

You will see sport coats and ties on formal night with a nice pair of pants. Mostly however suits. And then a smaller percentage of tuxes.

Formal nights for males should be tux or dark suit and tie etc. Smart casual nights should be nice slacks and collared shirt.

Thanks for the responces, and the advice, sounds as though Iam on the right track. I we use the speciallity diniing on one of the formal nights instead of the main dinning room is that acceptable or is that formal as well on these nights. just for info we are going on Infinity 11th Oct Panamar Canal

Formal nights for males should be tux or dark suit and tie etc. Smart casual nights should be nice slacks and collared shirt.

However he WILL see a few sportcoats with tie and dress pants.

In reality, formal wear is only tuxedos not a dark suit. Long gowns on women. Thus the "flexibility" of dress codes, even on X.

However he WILL see a few sportcoats with tie and dress pants.

In reality, formal wear is only tuxedos not a dark suit. Long gowns on women. Thus the "flexibility" of dress codes, even on X.

And they removed the word "dark" from the dress codes, now just reads suit...

Just home today from Equinox 13 night Ancient Empires. For our 3 formal nights in the main dining room the majority of men wore suits with a tie. Some wore tuxedos or a sport coat. On smart casual nights the majority of men wore collared polo/golf shirts or button down shirts with a pair of nice slacks (like khakis, dockers, etc.). Don't recall seeing anyone in blue jeans in the main dining room for dinner.

Hope this helps and hope you have a wonderful cruise!

I wrote to the Captains Club, asking what was the minimum required wear in the main dining room on formal nights, and this was the reply I received:

Dear Sir or Madam:

Thank you for your email.

A dark sports jacket and dress shirt with slacks is sufficient for men during formal nights onboard.

Thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises.

Sincerely,

Lisa Webster

Customer Service Representative

So although I hate bringing the jacket, I 'll do so, but I think I'll leave the strangling ties at home.

Thanks for the responces, and the advice, sounds as though Iam on the right track. I we use the speciallity diniing on one of the formal nights instead of the main dinning room is that acceptable or is that formal as well on these nights. just for info we are going on Infinity 11th Oct Panamar Canal

The specialty restaurant on Infinity that I went to was quite dressy...all the time. It's the first restaurant I've been to that gives you a little pedestal beside your chair to set your purse on (!) Jini

Just off the Millinneum on Monday. Wear anything you want. I would say about half dressed up on formal nights. some dressed up every night. Off subject, the food was not that good. Lobster overcooked and way too salty for everyone at our table. Big disappointment.

So although I hate bringing the jacket, I 'll do so, but I think I'll leave the strangling ties at home.

Ties should not strangle, or even feel tight. If it does either it is not tied correctly or the shirt's neck size is too small for you. I wear ties everyday and do not find them to have any negative impact on my comfort.

Don't recall seeing anyone in blue jeans in the main dining room for dinner.

Hope this helps and hope you have a wonderful cruise!

I was on the same cruise and there were actually a number of people in jeans in the MDR. Certainly a small minority but enough so that one wouldn't feel completely out of place, and the number increased as the curise went on. And having asked a number of people from Celebrity if this was allowed, they said that yes it was as long as there are no holes in them.

I wrote to the Captains Club, asking what was the minimum required wear in the main dining room on formal nights, and this was the reply I received:

Dear Sir or Madam:

Thank you for your email.

A dark sports jacket and dress shirt with slacks is sufficient for men during formal nights onboard.

Thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises.

Sincerely,

Lisa Webster

Customer Service Representative

Wearing a tie for 2 hours is strangling? :rolleyes: My dh must use a different type of shirt and tie, because wearing them every day at work, gives him no problem.

I think the poster was right ...maybe check your shirt size or not have an angry wife tie the knot !!:D

Geez, enough with the fashionistas.

I wear a tie all the time.

I was being facetious about being strangled.

I'd just prefer not to wear one if I don't have to - I'm on vacation. But if I have to, I will.

I've been going on cruises for over 25 years, and I remember when no one would even think about not dressing fully to the "requirements."

Lighten up.

People who have been going on cruises for 25 years know what the word formal means. There are a few people who come to these boards seeking approval for not dressing appropriately. It doesn't do anyone here any good to point out what any sensible person understands. It's simple, those who don't dress appropriately won't, and those who do don't need to seek approval.

Just off the Millinneum on Monday. Wear anything you want. I would say about half dressed up on formal nights. some dressed up every night. Off subject, the food was not that good. Lobster overcooked and way too salty for everyone at our table. Big disappointment.

Salty... thank you!! The popcorn needed... something!:D

People who have been going on cruises for 25 years know what the word formal means. There are a few people who come to these boards seeking approval for not dressing appropriately. It doesn't do anyone here any good to point out what any sensible person understands. It's simple, those who don't dress appropriately won't, and those who do don't need to seek approval.

So what you're saying is that by quoting what I was told is appropriate by a rep of Celebrity, that I am doing something wrong.

Please don't flame me for answering a question appropriately and with facts.

Feel free to give your opinion of what you believe is proper formal attire.

But please don't scare others away from what is actually allowed, if it is different from what you'd like it to be.

Archived