Costa Question "possibly controversial"

Purrfect

Hi Everyone,

I booked a Costa cruise yesterday for the Spring. I have read very mixed opinions on Costa and wondering if someone could give me an unbiased opinion? It seems like a lot of the negative reviews focus on the fact that it is geared towards European pax and not Americans. I am completely fine with this, I've traveled the world and not offended if I am in the minority or can't understand all languages aboard.

How's the food? Is there topless tanning allowed since it's a European ship? Passenger age group?

The reason for the "possibly controversial" disclaimer is because I do not want to offend people. I would just like real opinions with out rhetoric.

I lived in Europe for three years and travelled a lot!!!! So, I too thought I would blend in and love it. The cruise ship was the most beautiful ship I have ever been on, but the service and the rudeness of fellow passengers/crew was outrageous. Costa cruise ship was a horrible experience. I would not go on that ship again even if it was free.

We cruised Costa in 2007 and again in Jan 2010. I did a lot of research before we took the cruise in 2007 and found very mixed reviews on the passengers and staff. We did not experierence rude Costa staff (quite the opposite actually)or rude fellow passengers. In my opnion when you get that many people eating, lounging, hanging by the pool at the same time someone/something is bound to come off as rude and it could just as easily be the person from Michigan as the person from Europe.

No topless sunbathing but I will say there are many people in bathing suites that do cause a double take. Again, an inappropriate choice in bathing suit wearing for your size does not discriminate by what country you are from.

For what we have paid for each of our Costa cruises I have a hard time saying anything negative. There will always will be something better out there but for now I am a satisified Costa customer.

What time of year do you intend to cruise? The New Year's cruise I did on the Mediterranea was terrible- but the other 7 cruises I've done on the Atlantica/Mediterranea twins and the Fortuna were all great. Consistently excellent cabin staff. Costa is my now favourite line, but I will never do a holiday cruise on any line again.

If you're sailing out of Port Everglades, most of the passengers will be American.

I am a British traveller just back from a cruise on the Costa Serena and pretty much couldn't fault the ship, the staff, the food or the facilities on board.

I was a first time cruiser so maybe don't have more prestigous cruise experiences to compare it to, but to me it was first class.

Waiting and bar staff were helpful, friendly and pleasant and always had a smile and a few words chat with you; and that was without tipping which we haven't found to be the case on the other side of the pond.

We had a 7 course banquet every night (well actually we usually only managed 4-5 courses as it was just too much) served by charming, friendly waiters. The food had a strong Italian bent, but consideriing I love Italian food that was no problem. There was a choice for most courses and always a vegeterian & fish option which was great for me.

On the first time I ordered a glass of Rose, my husband requested a coke and some water. The following evening the waiters recalled our order and asked if we wanted the same. By the third night our drinks were already sitting chilling for us when we arrived.

The only rude treatment we received was from the odd passenger, but it was few and far between even then and no more than you'd expect with any large congregation of people.

The ship seemed to have a very good mix of ages - everything from babies in arms, young teens up to octagenarians. The ship provided so many different typews of entertainment I think there must surely have been something for everyone. We are in our 30's and never felt bored or out of place.

People bnack home can't believe we got so much luxury for so little cost. I'll definitely be going Costa again!

We are Quebecors and speak French and English and some Spanish. Loved our Costa cruise in 2007 and are presently looking at booking another (this is why I am back on these boards).

The only rudeness we saw was from Americans who were complaining when things weren't exactly the same as they were used too. Pizza was yummy but not your American pepperoni style. European men wear speedos, why should anybody care? And yes we saw topless sunbathers. The first one we saw was at least 60:eek: so even my teen son wasn't impressed.

The ship was spotless and the food although sometimes very different was delicious.

We are not big on entertainment and don't really remember one way or the other.

Toga night was the most fun night I have had on any cruise ship yet.

And, if you drink at all, buy the X1 package for beer and wine with meals, it is a really good deal. This is one of the reasons we are looking at Costa again.

Our family has sailed with both Carnival and Costa in the Caribbean over spring break, and we would do both again. Costa is just a little different, not better or worse, just different. My only complaint about Costa is all the damned Canadians! Just kidding, we love our Canadian friends. In fact our son and daughter adopted a set of Canadian grandparents from Saskatchewan on our first Costa cruise. We are booked with Carnival for spring break this year. But we did consider Costa again. Carnival had a more attractive itinerary for us this time. Enjoy your Costa cruise.

Tried to edit my post but alas too late, it was 2008.

Yes, there were a lot of Canadians on board and yes in large groups we can be pesty.;) AND we can be a lot of fun!

The most important thing to remember is you get what you pay for in life and Costa certainly is about the cheapest cruise line out there. Adjust your expectations accordingly and you will have a ball.

My wife & I experienced Costa in Apr. 2007 on the Magica for the first time! What a surprise! Beautiful ship, great personnel, Fantastic Butler, and the service was excellent. We have been on many other cruises, and cruiselines, and Costa has remained in our top 5 category! We are now heading out in Dec 5,2009 on the Atlantica! We have been on Carnival-2002 at Christmastime with our 6 children and found it to be a fiasco-unruly service, passengers , and waite-staff, thusly Carnival in NOT in the top 5 for us! RCL,Costa, Seaborn, HAL, & Princess are far better for rooms, service, food, and itinerary! One thing about Costa--Please be open to their style of food, as it is Definitely NOT American style! But then, isn't that half the fun of traveling on other cruiselines and encountering other cultures? Have Fun!

• 3 weeks later...

My Husband and I cruised on the Costa Magica in 2004 and had a fantastic time. The food was far better then several other lines we have traveled on before, the ship a work of art, staff was attentive and very friendly, cabins are larger than Carnival. The other passengers were a delight, especially the ones from Europe. The only problems we encountered were with stupid Americans who we say on a few occasions being rude to the people from Europe.

The shows were outstanding, as another person wrote "Toga Night" was one of the most fun evenings we have had on a cruise, certainly not to be missed. Some ladies do go topless on the upper deck. No problem, we all have them. I say do not hesitate to book with Costa, you will get more than your money's worth.

We are going to be crusing with Costa again this winter, on the Costa Atlantica Dec 12, 2009 out of Port Everglades. It should be another wonderful vacation.

We reside in FL now so we do cruise frequently as the ports are all within driving distance of our home. We have Cruised with Holland America (our favorite), Carnival (hit and miss, we have found after 6 cruises on 5 ships only 1 ship has been consistantly good the Legend), Royal Caribbean (once, and never again) and Costa which we will certainly cruise upon again.

Being an American who has lived in Europe (currently on third country) 7 out of the last 11 years, and who has taken three Costa cruises within the past 5 years, I can honestly say that I do not understand why Costa gets such a bad rap. I can understand how certain Americans who never crossed their statelines might have a problem adapting to the more European flair of Costa, but when I hear travellers who claim that they are open minded and experienced in European ways claim the service and the fellow guests "ruined" their vacation and then they make a general statement such as "don't travel with Costa"!

Their are reasons why I cruise with Costa: 1) best prices among all the major cruise lines; 2) beautiful ships, sometimes a little over the top in decor, but I like the fantasy feel of the ships; 3) I like the international feel of the ship and the passenger; and lastly 4) less "rednecks" (that I can be flamed for if you insist!)

Topless ladies? Unfortunately, only one or two on the ship that I have noticed. Speedos? Some, and I am one of those. Quality of food? Some dishes were excellent, some not, but overall good to very good (I never lost weight on a ship!). Pushy passengers, yes, some, but to be expected when you have 3000 passengers.

I just keep in mind when I vacation..."a bad day on vacation is better than any good day at the office!" Nuff said!

Reply for Apureheart: We, too, are on the 12/12 Atlantica and are now from Florida. Have you joined the roll call yet? What part of Florida are you from? We're a senior couple on 22nd cruise, first with Costa, and from what I am reading, I feel sure it won't be our last. We are anxiously looking forward to the toga party! One of the things that appeals to us the most is the abundance of music at night and opportunities to dance. We will definitely post a review when we return from our December cruise.

I too enjoy sailing with Costa and find their competitive pricing to be the main reason I keep coming back. That said, they aren't the only line discounting their rates in the Caribbean. We have sailed MSC too, newer ships although not any nicer than Costa's, and found them to be comparable overall. But unlike Costa, MSC has kids cruise free ALL THE TIME.

have done some but all in the med...ships were great..food was good ..just to european taste...staff was fine...some passengers came off as rude but again thats cultural....taking ones turn in line is normal for north americans but not so much for italians...the worst thing was the smoking...everywhere including the non smoking areas

but the ports were good and the price was right..would do a Costa again

..friendly reminder as to why the White House is white...had to be repainted after we burnt it in the war of 1812

If I was Scottish I'd probably be thinking "Can nuck understand yur reasoning".

You say "we", I thought Canada came into existence in 1867.

If you mean "we" the Brits then that is correct.

Ron

I too was a bit worried about Costa, as I had read here that the passengers were rude, as well as some of the staff.....

It was not a problem at all! I rather enjoyed the mix of Europeans/N Americans...it was nice not always knowing what the conversation going on in the elevator was about!

We thought the food was amazing! Some of the best pasta I have ever had...one night I was actually running my finger along the bottom of my plate, when my server swooped it up and replaced it with a brand new one!!! I should have been embarrased, but I was simply thankful for more pasta!

There were some topeless sunbathers...not a huge problem, even with having teenage boys with us....I think the husbands may have been more "immature" about it than the 14yr olds.... :)

Enjoy!!!

I am a frequent cruiser of Costa & MSC, both out of Europe & I agree the biggest complainers unfortunately are the Americans. I wish they would keep their opinions to themselves on the ship as I`m tired of hearing the same issues. Yes, everything is repeated in 5 languages, yes, food is different, yes, they wear bikini`s, but the reason your there is for a European experience. Hearing this crap is especially annoying when your stuck with them at the dinner table. Personally I have enjoyed every cruise with both lines & will continue booking with them.

Archived