Private excursions in and around Athens

cuddly

I am staying in Athens for 3 nights post-cruise next month. My DH and I plan to organise private excursions to see Athens, Corinth and possibly Delphi. As we want to get most out of these few days, we are considering hiring a driver-guide to do some sightseeing with us. Would love to hear from anyone who had a good driver-guide to recommend.

I am staying in Athens for 3 nights post-cruise next month. My DH and I plan to organise private excursions to see Athens, Corinth and possibly Delphi. As we want to get most out of these few days, we are considering hiring a driver-guide to do some sightseeing with us. Would love to hear from anyone who had a good driver-guide to recommend.

Before doing our 2006 Greek Isles and Turkish Coast cruise, we had three days in Athens. We a day-trip seeing the Peloponnese Peninsula. We worked with Spiros, our driver and guide. You can do a Google search with Athens taxi and spiros, getting his contact info that way. On his website, you will see the pictures that I took during our tour of the cute goats along the road routing.

What did we see and do?

Going south from Athens, our first stop was at the Corinthian Canal. It is a real engineering wonder, nearly four miles in length and 900 feet deep. Then it was to Ancient Corinth. This is where St. Paul lived for two and a half years, the basis of his famed letters to Corinthins and where he was put on trial by the Romans. The site of Corinth is influenced by Roman architecture, which of course was “borrowed” from the Greeks. Here you will see the Octavian temple and the Lechaion Way. We then traveled through the farmland, passed through small villages and saw olive trees and vineyards. The Peloponnese region is much greener than many of the arid Greek Isles.

We visited Mycenae that is considered one of the most ancient Greek cities. It was built on top of a rocky hill and became the most important center of Greece and reached its peak during the years of 1100-1600 B.C. That is why this period is called Mycenaen. Ruler Agamemnon developed its glory and wealth at this early historic stage. The Lion Gate at Mycenae and the towering fortified wall were constructed at about the presumed date of the Trojan War. Just outside of the citadel wall is a beehive-shaped tomb that was the repository of the treasury of Atreus, father of Agamemnon.

Then it was to the scenic port town of Nafplio which was re-built by the Venetians in the 16th century and was the first capital of Greece. We had lunch there by the seaside. Then we visited the famous castle called "Palamidi". Then it was to Epidavros with its ancient ampitheatre built in 4 B.C. and known for its great acoustic sound. It’s true and amazing how people in the top row of seats in this arena seating thousands can hear so well what is being said down below.

This day-trip and circuit around these various stops worked very well! We had consider a trip to Delphi, but we believed this tour offered more historic and countryside variety. It was an excellent choice and Spiros did a great job.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

With 3 days I'd suggest a combo of driver and DIY. Sign up a driver for the things further out and do the central Athens yourself.

If we had more time I'd do all the central Athens attractions myself and use the driver for the more distant attractions.

We used Paul at GreekTaxi and was impressed with the quality of their service.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a magnificent tour in Greece arranged for us by Paul and Nick at http://www.*****

They will do a great job for you!

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/blacksea.html

and

http://www.bully4.us/blacksea3.html

If you are touring from Athens, DON'T MISS a trip to Delphi. It is awesome!

Archived