Port at Baltimore

joevoter

Hi to your MD citizens. We will be entering your port for the very first time on our cruise thru the PC. we normally leave and return from Galveston where customs are no problem. What is that like at your place?

Also, what are the MD custom limits on liquor? Here in TX we are limited to two liters.

Thanks for your help. We're looking forward to the cruise as well as seeing a bit of Baltimore.

The Port of Baltinore has no control over how much liquor you can bring in...it's the PORTS you visit! It's U.S. Customs that enforce the limits...not Maryland....so it's the same laws as in Galveston or any other U. S. Port!:)

When you arrive back to the port, you'll have your forms filled out just as you do in any port, and after you collect you bags, you go through customs, and hand them your form. If there's no problems...you walk right through the terminal, and to your ride.

If you go to a port where you visit the US Virgin Islands...the limit is 5 liters....any others, it's two. (PLease correct me if I'm wrong anyone else...it's late, and too tired to check myself!):o

Hope this helps....my last 4 cruises were ot of Baltimore, and the 5th is in November....I LOVE it!

Take Care,

Jaime

Welcome Back to Baltimore. Not sure which port you left from six years ago. The cruise port used to be the Dundalk Marine Terminal which was on the NJ side of the Fort McHenry Tunnel. The cruise port is now located on the Baltimore City side (not the NJ side) of the Fort McHenry Tunnel.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

Thanks to all for your response. We cruised a couple of years ago with some gals from Kansas; they said by state law, they could each return with four liters. Guess we were all confused. So we'll abide by Texas rules!:)

Hi Joe!

I checked just to make sure...and YES, if you go to one of the US Virgin Islands (St. Thomas is one of them), then you can bring back 5 liters of liquor, just as long as ONE of them was purchased in St. Thomas. (This is per person.) If you don't stop at one of the US Virgin Islands, then you can only bring back ONE liter per person. This is US Customs regulations.

Take Care,

Jaime

The Port of Baltinore has no control over how much liquor you can bring in...it's the PORTS you visit! It's U.S. Customs that enforce the limits...not Maryland....so it's the same laws as in Galveston or any other U. S. Port!:)

When you arrive back to the port, you'll have your forms filled out just as you do in any port, and after you collect you bags, you go through customs, and hand them your form. If there's no problems...you walk right through the terminal, and to your ride.

If you go to a port where you visit the US Virgin Islands...the limit is 5 liters....any others, it's two. (PLease correct me if I'm wrong anyone else...it's late, and too tired to check myself!):o

Hope this helps....my last 4 cruises were ot of Baltimore, and the 5th is in November....I LOVE it!

Take Care,

Jaime

I believe I have read elsewhere that even though US customs sets limits certain state liquor laws may also limit amount of untaxed liquor to be brought accross state line for tax purposes. I do not know how this would be enforced when flying back to such a state. Then again I may be wrong.

Hi Joe!

I checked just to make sure...and YES, if you go to one of the US Virgin Islands (St. Thomas is one of them), then you can bring back 5 liters of liquor, just as long as ONE of them was purchased in St. Thomas. (This is per person.) If you don't stop at one of the US Virgin Islands, then you can only bring back ONE liter per person. This is US Customs regulations.

Take Care,

Jaime

I believe ALL the liquor must be purchased in the USVI and the amount PP is 4 liters. Additionally, you can add 1 liter of of a product distilled in the USVI (usually Cruzan Rum). This brings the total to 5 liters.

Hi Joe!

Take Care,

Jaime

I believe ALL the liquor must be purchased in the USVI and the amount PP is 4 liters. Additionally, you can add 1 liter of of a product distilled in the USVI (usually Cruzan Rum). This brings the total to 5 liters.

In all my cruises and trips to Europe, I've never been questioned about the amount of liquor/wine I've brought back. Sometimes it's more trouble than it's worth doing the paperwork for customs to charge you the few dollars of duty if you have a couple of bottles over your limit. Claim it, and don't worry about it. Most of the time, they could care less. That's my personal experience, and I'm sticking to it. :)

Since I don't think some of what I've seen on this thread is totally correct, let me cite some sources:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/paying_duty.xml

If you arrive in a state that has limitations on the amount of alcohol you may bring in without a license, that state law will be enforced by CBP, even though it may be more restrictive than federal regulations. We recommend that you check with the state government before you go abroad about their limitations on quantities allowed for personal importation and additional state taxes that might apply.

Texas does have a limitation [ http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/faq/personal_importation.asp ] and from personal experience it IS enforced by CBP even if you are just in transit. As far as I know, Maryland follows the Federal limitations.

A returning resident 21 years or older entitled to the $800 duty-free exemption may include 2 liters of alcoholic beverages—provided 1 liter was produced in a CBI country. Additional quantities are subject to duty and taxes. Travelers 21 years and older returning from the U.S. Virgin Islands may bring back 5 liters of alcoholic beverages, provided that 1 liter was produced there. Liquor cannot be mailed to the United States.

Note that a duty free second liter can be from ANY CBI [Carribbean Basin Initiative] country, whether you have been to the producing country or not. If you have been in the US Virgin Islands and are claiming five duty free liters, one of those liters must have been produced in the USVI.

Thom

Since I don't think some of what I've seen on this thread is totally correct, let me cite some sources:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/paying_duty.xml

If you arrive in a state that has limitations on the amount of alcohol you may bring in without a license, that state law will be enforced by CBP, even though it may be more restrictive than federal regulations. We recommend that you check with the state government before you go abroad about their limitations on quantities allowed for personal importation and additional state taxes that might apply.

Texas does have a limitation [ http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/faq/personal_importation.asp ] and from personal experience it IS enforced by CBP even if you are just in transit. As far as I know, Maryland follows the Federal limitations.

A returning resident 21 years or older entitled to the $800 duty-free exemption may include 2 liters of alcoholic beverages—provided 1 liter was produced in a CBI country. Additional quantities are subject to duty and taxes. Travelers 21 years and older returning from the U.S. Virgin Islands may bring back 5 liters of alcoholic beverages, provided that 1 liter was produced there. Liquor cannot be mailed to the United States.

Note that a duty free second liter can be from ANY CBI [Carribbean Basin Initiative] country, whether you have been to the producing country or not. If you have been in the US Virgin Islands and are claiming five duty free liters, one of those liters must have been produced in the USVI.

Thom

THANK YOU!:)

I was just quoting from one of the cruiseline sites! I know, they're the LAST ones to believe!!:D

One thing to remember...even if you want to buy more than your allotted duty free amount...the duty on a bottle of liquor is next to nothing, and overall its just more of a hassle to have to go and claim it to customs than the $$! We happended to buy 6 bottles of flavored rum on a ship going to Bermuda during a ship liquor sale, knowing we'd have to pay additional customs. When we went to pay the extra couple of dollars, the customs officials just said "Have a nice day!"

At the port of Maryland, since so many people drive, I've seen people getting of the ship with CASES! I personally don't want to deal with more than a couple of bottles!:D (THIS IS NOT TO SAY YOU CAN BUY A CASE!!!!)

Take Care,

Jaime

Thanks so much, folks. You did a lot of research. I was under the impression that the agent would confiscate any that were over the limit. I act like I'm going to buy many bottles...not...we're flying, but on some lines the bottles are priced as a group of three. I've never taken advantage of that because of our limit of two. Yall were much help!

Thanks so much, folks. You did a lot of research. I was under the impression that the agent would confiscate any that were over the limit. I act like I'm going to buy many bottles...not...we're flying, but on some lines the bottles are priced as a group of three. I've never taken advantage of that because of our limit of two. Yall were much help!
I believe that Texas law does confiscate over the limit, but US CBP [unless they are enforcing a state law] merely assesses duty if you are over the limit, and then only if it is worthwhile. They can hassle you if they think that you have so much it is for re-sale [commercial dutues are entirely different from personal duties, and requires licencing etc]. I think I've read that it costs about $12 to process duty forms, so if you are under that although they can assess you, they usually don't. BTW if you buy more than you care to fly home, I live in the Baltimore area and can help take care of any excess:rolleyes:

I assume that you are on the 23 Oct Mercury out of San Diego, as am I. There is a very active Roll Call for this cruise at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=849887&page=30 We have 160:eek: signed up for the Cruise Connection party - sign up [if you haven't already] and join us!

Thom

Archived