Port Everglades/Fort Lauderdale post cruise car rental

Larrydano

Sharon and I will be disembarking 3/13/10 at Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale, FL after an Acapulco to Fort Lauderdale full transit of the Panama Canal.

We would like to rent a car in Fort Lauderdale and spend some time visiting friends/relatives in the Orlando area and then fly out of Orlando.

Are there any car rental companies at the cruise port or do we need to go elsewhere (Fort Lauderdale or the airport)???

Larry

Sharon and I will be disembarking 3/13/10 at Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale, FL after an Acapulco to Fort Lauderdale full transit of the Panama Canal.

We would like to rent a car in Fort Lauderdale and spend some time visiting friends/relatives in the Orlando area and then fly out of Orlando.

Are there any car rental companies at the cruise port or do we need to go elsewhere (Fort Lauderdale or the airport)???

Larry

The FLL airport now has a new rental car facilty housing many of them in a terminal right next to the airport terminal and accessible via walkway.

The airport also has a free shuttle bus between the airport and the pier which can be picked up right next to the cab stand at the pier. ;)

The FLL airport now has a new rental car facilty housing many of them in a terminal right next to the airport terminal and accessible via walkway.

The airport also has a free shuttle bus between the airport and the pier which can be picked up right next to the cab stand at the pier. ;)

Which ever car rental agency you rent from make sure you verify the shuttle is free. Not all of the agencies have an agreement with the airport shuttle for free service. Thrifty is one rental company that does not have an agreement with the shuttle company. We discovered that the last time we rented a vehicle with them.

Thrifty/Dollar also have a location just outside the main port gates. A shuttle bus runs around the cruise ships to this location

FT. LAUDERDALE OFF ARPT, FL,US (FL9)

2400 MIAMI ROAD

FT LAUDERDALE, FL UNITED STATES 33316

(954) 463-2958

I have also used Thrifty at the airport and never had a problem getting on the airport free shuttle either for pick up or drop off, last time was in May 2009

Which ever car rental agency you rent from make sure you verify the shuttle is free. Not all of the agencies have an agreement with the airport shuttle for free service. Thrifty is one rental company that does not have an agreement with the shuttle company. We discovered that the last time we rented a vehicle with them.

Which rental company charges for a shuttle!! :eek:

So I can avoid them.

Thrifty/Dollar also have a location just outside the main port gates. A shuttle bus runs around the cruise ships to this location

2400 MIAMI ROAD

(954) 463-2958

I have also used Thrifty at the airport and never had a problem getting on the airport free shuttle either for pick up or drop off, last time was in May 2009

Yes, you can use the free shuttle for pick up and drop off inside the airport but Thrifty does not have an agreement with the shuttle company to take passengers to Port Everglades. The last time we were there the driver checked our rental receipt and would not let us board the shuttle telling us we would have to take a taxi to the port. I walked back to the Thrifty drop off (which they share with Dollar) to ask why and the gentleman gave me a Dollar Rental jacket to show the next driver and we got on with no problem.

Budget has a rental office across the street from the Renaissance Hotel near the port and provides free pick up and drop off at the port. We are using them for our pre and post cruise rental car needs (flying in and out of Miami)....

2400 MIAMI ROAD

(954) 463-2958

I also recommend the Miami Road location. We have rented pre-cruise and they will drop you off at the port for free. We have also rented post cruise from them and they have their own shuttle that will pick you up at the port and take you to their location at no charge.

The only downer with Thrifty is they have a tendency to charge extra for one way rentals with an additional drop fee. There are other rental companies who do not assess that charge so that is something to consider.

Archived