May 1st Cruise.... too cold???

mcotravelgal

My family and I are contemplating taking a May 1st 2010 Cruise and was wondering if it would be too cold to enjoy? We are planning on getting a balcony room so we can snuggle under a blanket and enjoy the view. We are from orlando and my kids are afraid they will turn into little icicles. Has anyone had any experience with an early season cruise?

I've been living just north of Skagway for 20 years, and your kids have the right idea. In a "normal" year there's a dramatic improvement in the weather about the 3rd week of May - I won't get on an Alaska ship before May 20 or so (I've been on 3 in late May and early June).

Weather is a crapshoot. We've been twice in May, embarking around May 7 or so. We had lovely weather both times, but there are no guarantees. AND .... you are from Florida, and are unaccustomed to cold. I think you would have found several days of what we considered "lovely weather" too darn cold to be enjoyable.

May 1 is the end of MUD season in Alaska. About as much fun as a tooth ache.

Listen to your children. The balcony would be a waste of money.

When the cruise lines first pushed the season out at both ends, they offered discounts for the very early and very late cruises. No more! You are paying a very high price for your cruise.

I love Alaska, grew up with brutal winters, love the cold but won't spend my money for those early cruises.

I have sailed in this timeframe- there is a BIG difference between May 1 and May 8- a week later, which I've sailed then too, as well as mid May and later. Always better later and the first trip in my case had 6 out of 7 days of rain, cold weather. Didn't bother me in the least- I knew it. BUT it did have a boatload of extremely unprepared passengers who were miserable. Plenty of snow on the White Pass and all the way to "Emerald" Lake, which wasn't "emerald". :) This was a free cruise for me, I wouldn't have considered the timeframe otherwise. I'm one week "earlier" than Murray, in my May cruise selection, but I like hitting the end of the humpback migration mid May, going out of Seattle. Otherwise, I'm with him in the later May recommendation. Over many years, the averages are in favor of better weather and cruising.

Disney is starting Alaska cruises in 2011 with the first one being May 3, 2011. I don't think people who are used to cruising on the warm weather itineraries of DCL have a clue what Alaska will be like! I'm used to snow and cold where I live but I sure don't want to spend my vacation in Alaska in that kind of weather.

Disney is starting Alaska cruises in 2011 with the first one being May 3, 2011. I don't think people who are used to cruising on the warm weather itineraries of DCL have a clue what Alaska will be like! I'm used to snow and cold where I live but I sure don't want to spend my vacation in Alaska in that kind of weather.

I think a lot of the May 3 Disney cruisers are doing a b2b with the April 27 LA-Vancouver repo cruise. I agree - there will be lots of clueless Disney cruisers in Alaska!

I think a lot of the May 3 Disney cruisers are doing a b2b with the April 27 LA-Vancouver repo cruise. I agree - there will be lots of clueless Disney cruisers in Alaska!

There's lots of clueless people in Alaska anyway. I always see people starting out with shorts and sandals, then by the first port, they are wearing "Alaska" logo wear with new pants. :) I've seen men out during glacier viewing wearing their suit jackets, and women's hats! And I can see where this is a common underestimation, but even some of the cruise employees don't know. I was on the Jade this summer and the cruise consultant at her future cruise presentation, stated that the best time in Alaska was July and NO MORE than shorts and t shirts were needed, since it was so warm- leave the jackets at home. :)

There's lots of clueless people in Alaska anyway. I always see people starting out with shorts and sandals, then by the first port, they are wearing "Alaska" logo wear with new pants. :) I've seen men out during glacier viewing wearing their suit jackets, and women's hats! And I can see where this is a common underestimation, but even some of the cruise employees don't know. I was on the Jade this summer and the cruise consultant at her future cruise presentation, stated that the best time in Alaska was July and NO MORE than shorts and t shirts were needed, since it was so warm- leave the jackets at home. :)

:eek: Amazing. I"m betting that cruise consultant was never actually IN Alaska!

I've yet to wear shorts in Alaska even one day. I've only been there in May and August though. Next trip in 2011 I'm bringing even MORE clothes than I had with me last time. I was comfy, but had it been just a bit colder or rainy, I may have been miserable. And I wore a tshirt, sweatshirt, fleece jacket and rain proof jacket on top of that.

A quick look at Alaska Tourism websites shows weather reaches a MAX of 55 degrees in May, and into the 30's at night. It also suggests bringing insulated boots in May, but not June. I booked 5/3/11 Disney Inaugural Alaska cruise because I wanted to be on the first Disney Alaska cruise. I was able to recognize June is likely a better month, weather wise. Then again, I am going for the experience, and views ... not just to be in a specific temperature.

I live in Pennsylvania, so these temperatures are not common for me during May. Then again, by mid-September, southeast PA should be experiencing the typical 50's weather during the day, and into the 30's at night. Accordingly, we normally cruise the Caribbean in November - to get out of the cold PA climate. So, okay, I will experience reverse climate change ... leaving the warm PA climate in May, to experience the brisk Alaska climate.

So, okay, I will experience reverse climate change ... leaving the warm PA climate in May, to experience the brisk Alaska climate.

Us too. Funny how different 50 degrees can feel. 50s in March is a heat wave when you are used to 30s all winter. Everyone is breaking out the shorts! But when we get those same 50s now it's FREEZING! I'm expecting we'll have gone through the whole spring 'getting used to warmer temps' thing just to plunge back into our March temps in May... Oh well, easier for us than for folks from TX or Fla....:D

Ken

In 2008 we booked first a repositioning cruise from Ft lauderdale to Seattle -- and then tacked on a 7 day Alaskan cruise which began May 10th -- it was cold and rainy the entire week.

This year we did only the repositioning cruise -- and guess what -- I kept track -- the weather the 2nd week of May was beautiful -- chilly -- but sunny.

JMO -- we will never do a May Alaskan cruise again.

May 1 is the end of MUD season in Alaska. About as much fun as a tooth ache.

Listen to your children. The balcony would be a waste of money.

When the cruise lines first pushed the season out at both ends, they offered discounts for the very early and very late cruises. No more! You are paying a very high price for your cruise.

I love Alaska, grew up with brutal winters, love the cold but won't spend my money for those early cruises.

Actually, the early cruises ARE cheaper than the later ones. We are booked for May 17 and chose that date because it was not only significantly cheaper than June-July-August but was also cheaper than September. It isn't the first cruise of the season but close to it.

That first Disney cruise is going to have a lot of chilly children! That's really sad.

... and the point of the post is??? As an aside, what is the point of referencing CHILLY CHILDREN on a Disney Disney cruise? Are you suggesting that children will not be chilly if they were on RCCL, NCL, Princess or HAL? You DO realize the ship will be an enclosed ship - right?

I, too, am from Orlando and went to Alaska last May. We chose the last week of May (around the 25th). The weather was PERFECT albeit still quite chilly. We LOVED our balcony and did snuggle up to enjoy the scenery and spent a LARGE amount of time on the balcony. I do think the earlier dates will be a little more uncomfortable.

Keep in mind that the weather can change in an instant so layers are necessary. We never wore shorts but had a day or two for short sleeves.

Been to Alaska twice and loved it. May trip was too early for us as compared to later in the season. More excursions and increased

activiity of wildlife later in summer. Salmon starting to run, bears,

eagles coming to banks of water. Chances of real cold and excursion

cancellations higher in May than say late June or July. We still needed

blankets and hot chocolate on the balcony. Oh, we had about a 1 in 10

chance of catching a salmon in May (just too early), 3 of us on a charter

fishing. Did manage one, which we divided and shipped home. Great

eating but please don't ask the price per pound:eek: The memory was

"priceless"...enjoy Alaska.

... and the point of the post is??? As an aside, what is the point of referencing CHILLY CHILDREN on a Disney Disney cruise? Are you suggesting that children will not be chilly if they were on RCCL, NCL, Princess or HAL? You DO realize the ship will be an enclosed ship - right?

People won't be swimming in outdoor pools in early May, no matter what cruise line you're on. I assume you'll also want to spend some time outside on deck - especially when you cruise through Tracy Arm.

I think DCL made a mistake by starting the Alaska cruises so early, but then they are getting more money for the May 3 Alaska cruise than for the Mexican Riviera cruises.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Memories are priceless! We are expecting cooler temperatures, and are okay with that. We're sure to enjoy the scenery. Fewer excursions likely won't bother us, as we're quite used to catamaran, snorkeling and sting rays in the Caribbean. Anything will be a change of pace. I am sure we will re-visit Alaska, and would (perhaps) consider alternate dates at that time.

May trip was too early for us as compared to later in the season. More excursions and increased activity of wildlife later in summer.

As most people do, that's too much of a generalization - late May is a different world than early May. All excursions are running by about the 15th and only bear viewing is better later in the summer (unless you're on the last cruise and luck into the moose rut - http://explorenorth.com/wordpress/?p=380 ).

The Disney Wonder is currently an open-air upper deck, and will be dry-docked in December 2010 to be retrofitted and enclosed for sailing through Alaska. Disney ships are unique in that they have four separate and distinct pools (3 are public, 1 for cast members). Of the public pools, one is for children only ... one is for families (children and adults), while the third is for adults only. Accordingly, there are no indoor versus outdoor pools. The public pools will be enclosed. Disney pools are heated to 80 degrees, and filled with fresh water (not salt water).

We've sailed the Caribbean in December and January, and experienced cool / cold weather while walking on open decks (similar to June in Alaska). I am not sure if deck 4 will be enclosed or not ... but one can always bundle up for a walk if the deck us not enclosed. Deck 4 is where the jogging / walking trail is currently located.

Mistake? Disney researches the heck out of most anything they do. They did not decide to sail to Alaska on a whim. That does not mean everyone will want to sail in May, nor September. It means there will be various options available everyone. Many of my friends swear by going to the Jersey Shore or Walt Disney World in August - while I wouldn't dream of going at that time (too humid, too hectic, too crowded).

Disney ships are almost always sold out. Disney rarely discounts staterooms by any comparable measure (vs. other cruise line discounts). If Disney sells out the early May cruises - it's certianly not a mistake. If they are only at half capacity - they made a mistake. The internet makes it very easy for people to research their destinations in advance. Having never been to Alaska (land or cruise), I knew, in advance, that early May was colder, with less options available. Price was not necessarily an option, as I knew I was paying approximately twice the price of a comparable cruise on Princess or HAL. I understand those who cruise on other ships, or who've cruised to Alaska before ... may prefer alternate dates. Having said that, cruising Alaska is one more experience under my belt - regardless of the sailing date.

CHILDREN? Those who've sailed Disney know that children are not obstacles, errantly running amuck throughout the ship. They are not on the ship for the purpose of runing around. Rather, they are well involved in their activities, or at their own pool. We've sailed on Disney many times, but only TWICE with children (ages 12, 14 & 15 at the time). Regardless, there is heat in the staterooms, and in the public areas. Other than that, children are exposed to chilly weather throughout much of the US ... depending on what part of the country they are located.

Wow, I swear I read places that the temperature in mid may would be in the mid 60's but now I am seeing its closer to mid 50's!

My wife and I (florida folk lol) will be on the May 15th princess cruise. I understand we should layer but are gloves required you think? Are jeans ok or not warm enough?

Archived