Missing your liquor purchase? We'll assist by covertly searching your stuff!

Davey Interweb

Well, I'm sure many have tried to scam Carnival out of free booze by such stories. I'm equally sure they do have procedure in place to try to find out if the passengers are pulling a fast one. I'll also surmise that they search elsewhere for the "lost" booze.

Having nothing to hide, it wouldn't bother me a bit....and I would expect they wouldn't just take my word for it.

It would have been nice if they could have been standing outside the cabin while this was being done....but, ship happens. Plus, it's the morning of disembarkation when confusion reigns anyway.

IMO, it's much ado about nothing.

Perhaps they should hand-search everyone's luggage upon disembarkation. You know, just in case the guest nicked some cutlery or an ashtray or a towel or something. Yes, booze does go missing on occasion, especially when idiot attendants leave purchase(s) outside the door of someone's stateroom.

It doesn't sound like this couple is kicking up a particularly big fuss; no more than some here would over a generally inane issue - like, say, a missing candle. Those two bottles probably cost the line all of $15 and, personally, I can't see how a search of anyone's personal effects would ever be justified here.

You stay classy, Carnival!

US Customs can search your luggage - no one complains about that.

Why can't Carnival do it?

It's not 'classy' to search luggage onboard, but it's fine to do it 10 minutes later on the dock? I don't get it.

I always thought that when customs goes through it, you're standing right there... the way this sounds, they just invited themselves in and went through their stuff without them even knowing they were in their cabin.

I probably would have been pretty upset myself. I wouldn't mind them searching, but would have liked to at least know they were going through my stuff...

It's not 'classy' to search luggage onboard, but it's fine to do it 10 minutes later on the dock? I don't get it.

What? ......US Customs = carnival cruise employee :confused:.....same thing?? :rolleyes:

I would like to be present when they are going through my stuff...it's my stuff....

Oh, I see. Apple, meet orange. Customs has a slightly different mandate when it comes to searching your belongings. Carnival does have the right to inspect any item you elect to bring onboard for contraband or illegal items (security), however I see absolutely nothing in their cruise ticket contract indicating that they have the right to search your belongings at any time and for any reason. That would be crossing the line, I think.

You know, I've had cops ask to "take a quick look" in my car on a couple of occasions where I've been pulled over solely due to my lead-footedness. It should be A-OK for me to allow them to do so, but I'm still going to say no every single time. I don't want random people poking through my stuff where they have no reasonable grounds to do so. I can understand why these folks are choked.

Well every time I have purchased alcohol the room stewart made me sign for it when it was delevered to the room.

That's actually a good point. Carnival is ultimately creating the potential for "losses" by not doing this, and doing it consistently. The signature bit obviously didn't occur in this case. From my own experience, other lines seem to be just as sloppy.

If Carnival can't prove that a purchase was in fact delivered other than an attendant's word, then there is nothing to say it was delivered at all. The onus is on them to show otherwise, not the passenger.

I'm just wondering if there was a second person there to "witness" the search of the cabin. Having your steward going through your luggage unattended in your cabin reeks of asking for more trouble on Carnival's part. Passengers could just have easily declared some of their personal belongings missing afterwards. No?

There's most likely something in the cruise contract that gives Carnival the right to search anything on the ship. However, I agree it would be good practice to always do searches in the owner's presence.

When contraband is suspected in a bag at embarkation, they call the passenger down and open the bag in their presence, so why this would not be the same, I don't know. Maybe it was someone in a hurry or unaware of the policy. I doubt this is actual policy. In any event I doubt I would care as long as the intentions were honorable.

If you wish to pull a fast one over on someone, you had best have done your homework. I know of things smuggled on, and off, but it is all in the execution.

CCL (and others) should consider signing for delivery - possibly at the guest services desk. You sign and pick up your purchase. I have proof of my purchase, they - at this point in time - cannot prove delivery. People will abuse the system as it stands.

On my first cruise, my purchase was not delivered the night before. It was all straightened out the next morning with no problem, but things could have gone south at any time. Mistakes happen, and not all people are honest.

ETA... oh, crap. didn't read the whole thread and see that this has already been brought up... I've never had to sign for any such delivery. They just appear, compliments of the alcohol fairy...

Does the duty free shop even sell Amarula? It does not appear to be a wine which the article talks about.

Exactly what was left in their cabin to search? Most people put luggage out the night before. LOCKED!

Searching the cabin the morning of debarkation? Please, they were trying to get it ready for the next guests.

Whole lotta lying going on in that story.

Custom officals are one thing,, some random guy or gal is another.. you really don't see the difference between a security officer and a room cleaner.

I would be so pissed, the steward could totally steal from you.. with NO witnesses.. how dare they.

I don't know where the "classy" comment came from,, but I guess the more I read these boards,, the more I can easliy see how Carniival is not classy.

PS The hotel you were staying at says you are going through the soap pretty fast, they figure you are stealing it,, is it ok for the maid to go through your stuff??

Well every time I have purchased alcohol the room stewart made me sign for it when it was delevered to the room.

That's the way it should be done. But once or twice I have seen boxed liquor outside of cabin doors in the corridor. Kind of reminds me of when UPS or FedEx leaves a package on your doorstep when you're at work all day. Who's responsible if some unscrupulous passerby decides to nick said package from your doorstep? UPS says they delivered it; but, since you weren't home, it seems to you that it was never delivered. Guess you can tell I don't like deliveries and never order anything online. Too much that can go wrong.

I've never had to sigh for my alcohol, but i've let my room stewart know that i had some purchases and they put them in my room.....not outside the door

If you wish to pull a fast one over on someone, you had best have done your homework. I know of things smuggled on, and off, but it is all in the execution.

CCL (and others) should consider signing for delivery - possibly at the guest services desk. You sign and pick up your purchase. I have proof of my purchase, they - at this point in time - cannot prove delivery. People will abuse the system as it stands.

On my first cruise, my purchase was not delivered the night before. It was all straightened out the next morning with no problem, but things could have gone south at any time. Mistakes happen, and not all people are honest.

ETA... oh, crap. didn't read the whole thread and see that this has already been brought up... I've never had to sign for any such delivery. They just appear, compliments of the alcohol fairy...

You are exactly right. On my first cruise 7 years ago, I bought rum in Nassau, and they confiscated it as we boarded the ship. In order to receive my rum purchase, I had to go to the purser's desk either the last night of the cruise or the morning of disembarkation, produce my receipt and sign for my liquor. This, in my opinion, is the best way to ensure that passengers' receive their liquor. It protects both the cruiseline and the passengers. I was not on Carnival that trip, however.

on our first cruise we made a liquor purchase the first night and then went back for the drawing that evening and WON our purchase, so we got our bottles and took them back to our room. On the last day they delivered them again!! We were not charged, so....we got double the liquor for free. we had too much so we had to start giving some away.

same thing here. I find it very hard to believe that they would just leave it in the room. I think this story is fabricated and only half the truth is being told (you cannot buy any alcohol in the gift shop ...). No way an employee would have the right (or policy)to go through your luggage without you being there.

Does the duty free shop even sell Amarula? It does not appear to be a wine which the article talks about.

Exactly what was left in their cabin to search? Most people put luggage out the night before. LOCKED!

Searching the cabin the morning of debarkation? Please, they were trying to get it ready for the next guests.

Whole lotta lying going on in that story.

Yes they do sell it, I have a bottle in my liquor cabinet right now. I've seen it on every ship I've been in...............

I would not at all approve of someone searching my stuff without being present. Absolutely would be fine with them searching if I'm there, nothing to hide and all but when I'm not? No way!!!!

I have had an experience with the bon voyage store, I purchased rum to be delivered to stateroom, it wasn't there on arrival, and guess what? Went to pursers desk, they said "oh so sorry, but we can't do anything about this till Monday, we have no proof you actually purchased it" (this was Saturday) so Sunday night here is our room steward bring us the bottle, evidentally someone delivered it to the wrong room and they only got around to returning it Sunday, but at least they returned it.

To this day I wonder if the people that it was delivered to were not honest and kept the bottle would we have been reimbursed........:eek::rolleyes:

So now I BMOB and purchase DOD's

Cheers, Carole

ok, but the search was the morning of debarkation. the only thing left in my cabin then is a carry-on, and how many people does it take to stand in line at the purser's desk.

if you leave your cabin unattended past a certain time, you shouldn't be surprised to find them stripping the bed, etc.

i still think the story reeks.

I think it is interesting the number of folks who have had to sign for their liquor purchases...I've sailed 5 times and never once had to sign; however, my purchases were always delivered to my stateroom in a timely manner, the night before, so I had adequate time to pack them in my checked baggage. Curious.

Archived