Missing your liquor purchase? We'll assist by covertly searching your stuff!

Davey Interweb

Everyone knows that in situations like this the details of the ACTUAL event tend to get exaggerated by the "victim". I would imagine the real story is somewhat less dramatic than was portrayed in the article. I am certain the people felt wronged in some way and feel justified in telling this version of the story. Most of these stories need to be taken with the proverbial grain of salt.

Everyone knows that in situations like this the details of the ACTUAL event tend to get exaggerated by the "victim". I would imagine the real story is somewhat less dramatic than was portrayed in the article. I am certain the people felt wronged in some way and feel justified in telling this version of the story. Most of these stories need to be taken with the proverbial grain of salt.

Whether or not the story is true, I find it amazing the people who state that they would have no problem with someone going through their belongings while not being in their presence. :eek:

Amarula is a liquor from South Africa.

I have had to sign for my liquor the times I have been present when it was delivered. The other times, the room steward leaves it in the cabin. I have always made a point to check it then and there as mistakes do occur. That way if there is a mistake, I can get it taken care of before the shops close.

I always make it a point to get to know the shop keepers as we usually travel on the same ships a good bit. So getting problems corrected is usually not an issue.

If you wait until the morning to try and correct it, you will have problems.

Dave

You know, I've had cops ask to "take a quick look" in my car on a couple of occasions where I've been pulled over solely due to my lead-footedness. It should be A-OK for me to allow them to do so, but I'm still going to say no every single time. I don't want random people poking through my stuff where they have no reasonable grounds to do so. I can understand why these folks are choked.
You are absolutely right on this. The cop is attempting to do a warrentless search of your property to find evidence of a crime, of which he/she does not have any/enough evidence to arrest you for. The US Constitution protects you from warrentless searches, you do not have to submit to it (even if you know you have nothing to hide), and I never would either. Of course, the US Constitution offers no protection on a cruise ship, but you would hope that common courtesy would rule here.

Whether or not the story is true, I find it amazing the people who state that they would have no problem with someone going through their belongings while not being in their presence. :eek:
I agree. I would be put out if they started digging through my dirty laundry without me there. Maybe that is where all those VS panties went...... (long-time CCers will remember this story).;)

Oh, I see. Apple, meet orange. Customs has a slightly different mandate when it comes to searching your belongings. Carnival does have the right to inspect any item you elect to bring onboard for contraband or illegal items (security), however I see absolutely nothing in their cruise ticket contract indicating that they have the right to search your belongings at any time and for any reason. That would be crossing the line, I think.

You know, I've had cops ask to "take a quick look" in my car on a couple of occasions where I've been pulled over solely due to my lead-footedness. It should be A-OK for me to allow them to do so, but I'm still going to say no every single time. I don't want random people poking through my stuff where they have no reasonable grounds to do so. I can understand why these folks are choked.

When to keep your mouth shut!

IMHO, I would be very upset to have my personal property gone through without me being present. I wonder how many snickers TPTB get coming across sex toys? :eek:

Finding someone rummaging through my luggage shortly before I am to proceed through customs with them gives me pause. Remember when we used to be asked at the airport if anyone else had access to our bags?

This procedure is just plain odd. No company would put such a procedure in writing. I'm not saying the search was anything other than as presented but who's to know? It is just such a strange thing to do. Someone was way out of line ordering this search. This person needs some training or perhaps a position more suitable to his skills.

That's the way it should be done. But once or twice I have seen boxed liquor outside of cabin doors in the corridor. Kind of reminds me of when UPS or FedEx leaves a package on your doorstep when you're at work all day. Who's responsible if some unscrupulous passerby decides to nick said package from your doorstep? UPS says they delivered it; but, since you weren't home, it seems to you that it was never delivered. Guess you can tell I don't like deliveries and never order anything online. Too much that can go wrong.

I order online all the time. If a package delivery service chooses to leave things on your porch without requiring a signature, it is their insurance that's paying if said package disappears. I always pay with a credit card to allow me to dispute payment if necessary. Then the company I ordered from and the delivery company they chose can duke it out. :D

Perhaps they should hand-search everyone's luggage upon disembarkation. You know, just in case the guest nicked some cutlery or an ashtray or a towel or something. Yes, booze does go missing on occasion, especially when idiot attendants leave purchase(s) outside the door of someone's stateroom.
I don't think my booze has ever been left outside my state room, but, I am sure the cruise lines have experienced people trying to rip them off that way. Perhaps even multiple times each cruise. Never underestimate some people.

Someone who worked with HAL told me that a family stole china from the Pinnacle Grill. The china was some expensive name brand and really fancy. The grill was open during the day so you could go in and the places were set. I don't know if the grilles are still open with the places set since I have not sailed on HAL for several years. But, the family was in the line for disembarking and a guest nearby overheard their conversation talking about the china and reported them. They were pulled out of line, their luggage was searched. And altogether, they had a full set of service for 8!

So, when you hear something that sounds unbelievable, the cruise lines must have seen that situation many times. It is estimated that 34,000,000 people cruise each year, so, you only need a very small sample of people who think they can get something for nothing to know that the cruise lines have experienced it multiple times.

I don't think my booze has ever been left outside my state room, but, I am sure the cruise lines have experienced people trying to rip them off that way. Perhaps even multiple times each cruise. Never underestimate some people.

Then the cruise line could avoid the problem by requiring a guest signature on delivery. If they do not, then they cannot prove that the paid-for items were, in fact, delivered. In any event they do not have any right to rifle through a guest's belongings without at least having the guest present.

Does the duty free shop even sell Amarula? It does not appear to be a wine which the article talks about.

It's definitely on all the ships (unless they've sold out) and dat's some good stuff. :D

Amarula is a liquor from South Africa.

Dave: If you've not seen this, take a look-see. Interesting thing about Amarula, even before the processed fruit makes it into the bottle. Kinda funny, and I hope I'll never get that way after enjoying one of my favorite liquors. :p :p

I think it is interesting the number of folks who have had to sign for their liquor purchases...I've sailed 5 times and never once had to sign; however, my purchases were always delivered to my stateroom in a timely manner, the night before, so I had adequate time to pack them in my checked baggage. Curious.

Never signed, sometimes the liquor was in my room when I returned and other times it was in the hall but I have NEVER signed. Actually had the incorrect liquor left in my room also.

Someone who worked with HAL told me that a family stole china from the Pinnacle Grill. The china was some expensive name brand and really fancy. The grill was open during the day so you could go in and the places were set. I don't know if the grilles are still open with the places set since I have not sailed on HAL for several years. But, the family was in the line for disembarking and a guest nearby overheard their conversation talking about the china and reported them. They were pulled out of line, their luggage was searched. And altogether, they had a full set of service for 8!

So, when you hear something that sounds unbelievable, the cruise lines must have seen that situation many times. It is estimated that 34,000,000 people cruise each year, so, you only need a very small sample of people who think they can get something for nothing to know that the cruise lines have experienced it multiple times.

I'm sure Carnival (any cruise line, really), experiences a fair amount of "shrinkage" and they expect this. It's funny that you mention the Bvlgari charger plates found in the Pinnacle Grill on HAL; we'd always joke to each other that we should have brought a bag to hide them in. They are expensive: typical retail on those are maybe $100-$150 or so each, so they're not an insignificant item like an ashtray (or a bottle of Amarula). No, I wouldn't steal one.

Drama? The letter is well-written and the overall tone is quite calm. They're not making threats nor asking for any compensation. This is more than I can say about some of the "complaints" I've read from some prolific posters on the CC boards; more than a few people around here will kick up an enormous stink over some occurrence that I personally would find inane and petty.

Does the duty free shop even sell Amarula? It does not appear to be a wine which the article talks about.

Exactly what was left in their cabin to search? Most people put luggage out the night before. LOCKED!

Searching the cabin the morning of debarkation? Please, they were trying to get it ready for the next guests.

Whole lotta lying going on in that story.

Yes, yes, we know the drill. These folks aren't 100% complimentary to "your" cruise line, and worse, they don't appear to be members here. Thus, these Carnival cruisers should be afforded no credibility; they must be trolling. We get it. On the flip side, I find you utterly lacking in credibility simply for the fact that you do not seem to be capable of objectively approaching anything that might resemble a complaint. I realize that you harbor what I would consider to be an irrational loyalty to a huge, monolithic corporation, but give it a rest already. The points you make in your post here aren't even valid.

[quote name='StillPooh']I order online [B]all the time[/B]. If a package delivery service chooses to leave things on your porch without requiring a signature, it is their insurance that's paying if said package disappears. I always pay with a credit card to allow me to dispute payment if necessary. Then the company I ordered from and the delivery company they chose can duke it out. :D[/quote]

Thanks for the information.

Archived