Train from Quebec City to Montreal

gooch47

We're taking the train from Quebec City to Montreal on October 25 after our Star Princess NYC to Quebec cruise.

I've been reading up on the train info our TA sent us and they say we can take one carry-on. LARGE carry on ... up to 66" total and 50#. Dumb question: can we also take a personal item? My purse and DH's laptop?

I've also been reading you can walk to the train station from the cruise dock. Can someone tell me what cruise dock Princess uses so I can do a Google Earth (or whatever) and check it out?

And here is a really offensive question from a dumb American: will we have any language problems? My French is extremely limited to bonjour and sil vous plait.

I've been reading up on the train info our TA sent us and they say we can take one carry-on. LARGE carry on ... up to 66" total and 50#. Dumb question: can we also take a personal item? My purse and DH's laptop?

Train isn't the plane. Haven't been on one in a while, but considering the luggage my aunt had on her recent trip, I'm thinking you won't be refused a few carry-on items ;).

I've also been reading you can walk to the train station from the cruise dock. Can someone tell me what cruise dock Princess uses so I can do a Google Earth (or whatever) and check it out?

Port of Quebec's website: http://www.portquebec.ca/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Schedule of cruise ships here: http://www.portquebec.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=101&Itemid=356

With map of docks and their number: http://www.portquebec.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8&Itemid=37

Google map of the walk: http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Pointe-%C3%A0-Carcy,+Vieux-Port+de+Qu%C3%A9bec,+Qu%C3%A9bec,+QC+(Terminal+de+croisi%C3%A8res)&daddr=Quai+Saint-Andr%C3%A9+to:46.817404,-71.21383&geocode=FUddygId0o7B-yEj_tEHt92mLA%3BFbpfygIdgXbB-w%3B&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=16&via=1&dirflg=w&sll=46.817874,-71.209774&sspn=0.006813,0.013711&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16

Looks like you'll be at Dock 22, which is the main dock.

And here is a really offensive question from a dumb American: will we have any language problems? My French is extremely limited to bonjour and sil vous plait.

Not at all - very pertinent in fact. Most people in tourist areas speak some English, but certainly that 'bonjour' and 's'il vous plait' will be very welcome by all :D

We're taking the train from Quebec City to Montreal on October 25 after our Star Princess NYC to Quebec cruise.

Yes you can bring as many as you can manage, but the more individual items you carry, the more awkward it becomes. Make sure your purse has a shoulder band.

All the cruise ships in Québec use the «pointe à Carcy dock» on rue Dalhousie. Ask for PORT de Québec on the internet. The dock is located just in front of the Musee du Québec that can be seen from the ship. Now as far as walking to the train station, yes it can be walked, it takes about 15-20 minutes. It would be next to impossible to do it comfortably :eek: on the cobblestoned streets and sidewalks with the type of luggage you are talking about. Maybe with one suitcase, but with a large suitcase AND a carry on plus a purse !!! A taxi would be about $10.

Québec is French speaking at 95%. You will find some people able to talk English, most likely the young ones but you could also meet some who have a limited English and will not be able too. On the train, VIA rail (like Air Canada) must by definition provide service in both official languages. So it should work out. You can also bring a phrase book !

I lived in Quebec city for about 30 years and was there last July on a cruise !:D

Bon Voyage !

For the sake of clarity:

All the cruise ships in Québec use the «pointe de Quercy dock» on rue Dalhousie.

Not all. While Pointe-à-Carcy is the main dock, there are 2 others that are used on busy days: the Coast Guard dock (93) and Anse au Foulon (103). This Friday, for instance, there are 3 ship turnarounds, so all 3 are in use.

The dock is located just in front of the Musee du Québec

That would be the Musée de la civilisation. The Musée du Québec, an art museum, is located on the Plains of Abraham.

For the sake of clarity:

Not all. While Pointe-à-Carcy is the main dock, there are 2 others that are used on busy days: the Coast Guard dock (93) and Anse au Foulon (103). This Friday, for instance, there are 3 ship turnarounds, so all 3 are in use.

That would be the Musée de la civilisation. The Musée du Québec, an art museum, is located on the Plains of Abraham.

Merci bien, j'ai quitté Québec il y a belle lurette. Pour le musée de la civilisation, mon erreur...

Thank you all for your quick responses.

I think, too, that a taxi might be better. I just heard it was a nice area to walk in. The suitcases were limited to 66" TOTAL, but I pack very lightly and we'll have two 24" ones plus the purse and laptop.

Thank you all for your quick responses.

I think, too, that a taxi might be better. I just heard it was a nice area to walk in. The suitcases were limited to 66" TOTAL, but I pack very lightly and we'll have two 24" ones plus the purse and laptop.

Don't totally discount walking. While it is a bit of a hike, it's a flat one, and no cobblestones that I know of on the path...! Another slightly off-wall possibility is taking the city bus - there's a stop right in front of the dock area, and again in front of the train station.

As you'll be arriving on the ship a couple of days ahead, you can check all this out in advance anyways.

Not sure when you are arriving but remember that it's still a big city with all the big city issues. Be safe getting to the train terminal.

You may want to check in you larger pieces of luggage to give yourself some room on the train and less hassle trying to stow it overhead.

Not sure what you mean by arriving early, but I definitely will have it all planned out before we get there. I'm a little obsessive about things like this.

Thanks again.

Your ship arrives in QC on the 22nd. You disembark on the 23rd.

I'm sure you'll have time on that day to check out the train station.

Not sure when you are arriving but remember that it's still a big city with all the big city issues. Be safe getting to the train terminal.

And this is supposed to mean??? :confused:

Quebec City ain't New York. Heck, it ain't even Montreal. Both the dock and the train station are in quite safe areas.

Of course, if you mean guard against Quebec drivers, then that's another thing... :D

We're on on way tomorrow to board the Norwegian Spirit in Quebec later this week. Our plan is to walk the short distance from the Gare du Palais, something I've done before, and there's no problem in doing so . . . at least with fair weather (it is possible, though, that a friend of mine will meet us at the station and drive us on a tour of the city, including the hauling of our luggage).

No, we catch the train the same day. Must not have the dates right somewhere.

Whoa. Just reread what you said. Do we overnight in QC? We might have messed up our train/hotel reservations.

If you're on the October 13th sailing, you arrive in QC on October 22nd, with an October 23rd disembarkation.

When I saw October 25th in your initial post, I assumed it was a typo...

Linda,

Do you plan to post "live" while on the Crown? We are scheduled for the cruise right after yours leaving on the 23rd (15 day repositioning to Ft. Lauderdale).

Would love to hear how things are going. Any chance you'll fill us in on the fun happening on board? It's so hard waiting these last few weeks.........

Have a great cruise and take care of the ship for us.:)

Thanks Linda, that would be so nice if you would post a few words during your cruise. I'll check periodically to see if you've started a thread on the boards. Looking forward to hearing about the Crown and what to expect onboard.

Enjoy your cruise!:)

Archived