How would you describe "smart casual"?

Saucy

I don't think capris and sandals would be acceptable attire to wear to one's place of business. JMHO.

I wore 'em all summer long:D

I did the yuppified business look in the eighties; thank goodness times have changed and my employer changed along with them. 27 years and counting...

Really? I'm not seeing that in the HAL description. I see where jeans are no longer forbidden, but I don't see any approval.

Omission from the forbidden list -- having once been in that list -- is taken by many to indicate that they are now acceptable. And, quite frankly, depending upon the "put-together" look, one must admit that jeans CAN be part of a smart-casual ensemble that qualifies. It DOES take a little effort, however, to make them part of such an ensemble. One can't just throw on any ol' pair of Levis and a ratty plaid shirt and call it "smart casual." I wish more people who want to wear jeans would realize this (and would stop wearing for the evening what they wore on shore excursion that day!).

Witness this photo:

noordamgroup2.jpg

Look at Brian on this Smart Casual Night, where he is pictured in very dark designer jeans, a dark silk or print shirt, and a lovely white sport jacket. The entire look was (as one would expect from Brian) fabulous and very much "put together" ... certainly several notches above daytime casual, and the way jeans can be done "right" on such a night.

Now, I'm not a jeans wearer. However, if guys are going to wear jeans on Smart Casual Night they should accessorize it in an ensemble with a nice shirt and a jacket ... the result can be quite nice.

Really? I'm not seeing that in the HAL description. I see where jeans are no longer forbidden, but I don't see any approval.

I said "acceptable"...I did not use the word "approval"...Whether you or HAL approves of blue jeans do you deny that HAL now accepts jeans in the dining room on smart casual nights.

In my opinion, "Smart Causal" means:

1. Nicer than "day-time" or "ordinary" casual.
  2. Similar to "business casual," but with a bit of flair that otherwise might not make it into "business" attire (depending upon the business).
  3. Paying attention to what you're wearing and making sure that it's a put-together, "smart," clean, and yet also relaxed look.
  4. NOT wearing the same thing you wore for your shore excursion, EVEN IF what you wore would pass also for Smart Casual Evening ... part of getting ready for the evening includes washing off the effort of the day and making oneself presentable for the evening. Remember, you may not be able to smell yourself, but we can smell you.
  5. NOT wearing the same thing you wore around the ship all day long, EVEN IF what you wore would pass also for Smart Causal Evening. It does NOT hurt to change your clothing if for no other reason than to mark the difference between daytime and nighttime. And, yes, you can wear the same thing you wore on a previous smart casual evening ... our memories are not that good (HAL is often labeled an "old fogey" cruise Line, remember?? ;)).
  6. Informal, as in "tie not required" but jacket appreciated if the "ensemble-look" or one's preference call for it

I wear slacks (either kaki or dark grey or black) with a print or solid silk shirt or a button down knit shirt, often with a jacket. If it's dinner in the Pinnacle or a Sunday evening, I always include the jacket and will also wear either a tie or clerics.

I like to do that too:D...but it's hard here since we have a formal office. Usually people do dress down on Friday's...still not jeans. Sometimes I like to scare my boss and wear a blazer on Friday's.

I used to work for that company in Armonk NY -- ie, big blue. Casual friday meant sports jackets, collared shirts, slacks, socks and NOT sneakers for men, women could do jackets, blouses, slacks(although they preferred skirts) and short high heels -no SANDALS. GIVE me SMART CASUAL any day.

15 years ago, when the company I worked for was beginning to accept less formal dress for internal events that did not involve external customer contact, we received an email from a meeting organizer that the meeting would be "business casual". His advice was, "if you don't know what business casual is, wear a suit and tie!"

That advice still stands, for those of us who don't want to allow our dress to create problems. Every authority I've read says that you are far better to be slightly overdressed, than to be underdressed.

Also, IMO, while I only wear ties to weddings, funerals (much to frequently lately) and formal nights, I find no personal discomfort with a pair of slacks and a collared shirt, and if the temperature in the venue is reasonable, I'll wear a sport coat over my open necked shirt.

I used to work for that company in Armonk NY -- ie, big blue. Casual friday meant sports jackets, collared shirts, slacks, socks and NOT sneakers for men, women could do jackets, blouses, slacks(although they preferred skirts) and short high heels -no SANDALS. GIVE me SMART CASUAL any day.

I retired from the consulting end of the same big blue company a couple of years ago, and we had "business casual" defined pretty much the same as described here. Collars, no sneakers, socks, no denim, etc. That's the way I think of "smart casual" but with sandals :D. *I like sandals.*

HAL certainly seems to have it share of fashion divas and fashion experts. Or is it only on the board. I am confused so I think I will just wear what I was going to in the first place....even if HAL is silent on the style, material, color, or co-ordination. Oops, those socks should be navy blue not medium blue. Or are they really teal?

HAL certainly seems to have it share of fashion divas and fashion experts. Or is it only on the board. I am confused so I think I will just wear what I was going to in the first place....even if HAL is silent on the style, material, color, or co-ordination. Oops, those socks should be navy blue not medium blue. Or are they really teal?

Actually, the HAL CC members seem to think themselves as fashion experts. After multiple Holland America cruises, I haven't found the same mentality on board. Thankfully.

In my opinion, "Smart Causal" means:

NOT wearing the same thing you wore for your shore excursion, EVEN IF what you wore would pass also for Smart Casual Evening ... part of getting ready for the evening includes washing off the effort of the day and making oneself presentable for the evening. Remember, you may not be able to smell yourself, but we can smell you.

Uh-oh. I can't say I've ever encountered anybody who actally smelled bad on any of my cruises. I don't care what anybody wears, but I dang sure object to body funk. I might have to re-think this whole thing if folks who sail HAL stink, no matter how loudly the Maadsam is calling my name. Which I'm sure will be a relief to many of you dress-up fans.

Somehow, though, I suspect the good reverend is exaggerating a tad in order to make his point;)

Actually, the HAL CC members seem to think themselves as fashion experts. After multiple Holland America cruises, I haven't found the same mentality on board. Thankfully.

Yup, Stacy & Clinton would have a field day on HAL ships!:D

1494.jpg

Archived