Helmet for the ice skating ring on RCL's Freedom of the Seas?

Florida_cruisers

My son is 3 and I have taken him ice skating once a few months ago. We "skated" for about 30 minutes and he liked it. Since we are going on the Freedom of the Seas next week which has an ice skating ring, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to bring his bike helmet so that he can wear it while he is trying to ice skate on the Freedom. We live 35 minutes from the port so packing whatever we need is not an issue.

I think they are referring to a walker like thing some ice rinks have for beginning skaters to push. Our rink uses two stacked milkcrates that have been zip tied together. I have seen metal A-frame looking things too that kids can push around the rink too.

I have not seen any of these devises on a cruise ship though. I would guess it is a storage issue.

I would bring the bike helmet since you are driving to port even though the do have helmets at the rink. You know the one you have fits your child and you won't have to spend time adjusting an ill fitting helmet to your child.

My son has skated since that age and started playing hockey at 5. In the learn to skate clinic for the little ones, they teach them to march like soldiers because it starts them to learn the motion that will teach them to glide.

We were on the Liberty of the Seas 2 weeks ago. My 3 y/o girl went skating for the first time with DH. Their smallest skate size was 7 or 8 and had protective gear (helmet, knee pads, wrist guards) that small also. Youngest you can go is 3 but I met a mom who took her 2 year 9 month old boy and no questions asked.

Even though DD put some weight on her skates, DH basically carried her weight so had a sore back afterwards. Be warned!

Have a great cruise and have fun on the skating rink.

p.s. don't miss the Ice Show. It was great!

Rock Wall min age is 6. There were some very young children at the family open skate on Freedom in April. You had to sign a waiver and be wearing long pants and socks. They provided safety equipment if you wanted it.

There isn't a minimum to skate on RCCL. My youngest was 4 and her little friend from AO was 3.

They DO have helmets for them. All you need is a waiver, long pants and socks - don't forget socks.

And no, nothing to help them skate like those walkers/skaters.

Archived