My Thoughts: Comparing Norwegian with Celebrity

bqkali

Dress Code goes to Norwegian. I loved getting dressed up on formal nights and seeing everyone at their finest on Celebrity, but the other nights, it was an inconvenience to dress for dinner and pack extra clothing. I loved going from port to dinner in the same outfit (assuming I wasn’t too dirty or sweaty) on Norwegian but was disappointed that on “Dress Up or Not” night, barely anyone dressed up so I felt out of place when I bothered to fancy myself up.

Thank you so much for this comparison! As you can see by my signature, I've done two cruises on Celebrity, but I have my first NCL cruise coming up in one week!!!!! :D

I do plan to dress up for the optional formal night, as I really do like dressing up. If I'm the only one, so be it. I'm doing it anyway!

OP.. Thanks for sharing this with us. It is honestly what I would have expected in comparing the two lines. Me personally, and I am sure I will get flamed for this, I do not consider X and NCL in the same "class" of cruiselines, but we have never sailed X so that is just how I feel about them from what I have read.

Thanks again for sharing.

I thought similarly until we sailed the Celebrity Mercury a week ago. (BTW...we found this ship to be a very "apples to apples" comparison with the NCL Sun and Monarch of the Seas; all three lines have much bigger, more elaborate vessels).

We were actually quite surprised and (and disappointed, based on our HIGH expectations of X) to find that absolutely NOTHING on Celebrity was done much differently, or any better than NCL or RCCL. Nothing was horrible mind you (some things were better than others), but "upscale and refined"?? Not that we could tell. The "vibe" was very similar to RCCL (although the pool-deck servers were in tuxedos :D). The attire was very, very casual and nobody batted an eyelash at the non-formal dressers on formal night. (Yes, we did see bathrobes in the buffet).

Honestly, except for a glass of champagne on boarding (doesn't NCL do that now?) and the cold towels on the pier, there was nothing distinctive about their product. Those small touches, IMO, are not enough to stake this "upscale and refined" claim on.

Happy Sails,

Annette

:)

Excellent review!

It's exactly what many people know to be true. Each lines does something special and they are so different....one is not better than the other.

Sailing more than one line is a great way to mix it up and experience some variety!!

I thought similarly until we sailed the Celebrity Mercury a week ago. (BTW...we found this ship to be a very "apples to apples" comparison with the NCL Sun and Monarch of the Seas; all three lines have much bigger, more elaborate vessels).

We were actually quite surprised and (and disappointed, based on our HIGH expectations of X) to find that absolutely NOTHING on Celebrity was done much differently, or any better than NCL or RCCL. Nothing was horrible mind you (some things were better than others), but "upscale and refined"?? Not that we could tell. The "vibe" was very similar to RCCL (although the pool-deck servers were in tuxedos :D). The attire was very, very casual and nobody batted an eyelash at the non-formal dressers on formal night. (Yes, we did see bathrobes in the buffet).

Honestly, except for a glass of champagne on boarding (doesn't NCL do that now?) and the cold towels on the pier, there was nothing distinctive about their product. Those small touches, IMO, are not enough to stake this "upscale and refined" claim on.

Happy Sails,

Annette

I think some people think Celebrity is more upscale and refined because it has a quieter ambiance with less children than other mass market cruise lines. Whether or not this is a plus is a matter of personal preference.

I enjoyed my X cruise very much. The pros were Normandie, Aqua Spa breakfast and lunch and the 6:00 p.m. Sushi. Also the late night bites, served by strolling waiters and the non-smoking section of slot machines. The cons were assigned meal times and tables. At the time I did not mind dressing up for dinner, but once I cruised NCL I found I preferred resort casual. Easier to pack, less hassle and better regarding bag fees. Bingo on X is cheaper and more fun.

I have been on two Celebrity cruises, the Summit in 2002 and the Solstice in2009. I have been on one NCL cruise, the Jewel in 2005. The two lines are definetly different, that is why some prefer one over the other. I am one that does prefer Celebrity over NCL, but that is just my preference. If you have not sailed with Celebrity, I suggest that you give it a try. May I suggest the Solstice, that is one great experience, what a ship.

If you have not sailed with NCL, I suggest that you give that a try also, I don't know which line you will prefer, but I do believe that you will get your monies worth either way.

Thank you so much for this comparison! As you can see by my signature, I've done two cruises on Celebrity, but I have my first NCL cruise coming up in one week!!!!! :D

I do plan to dress up for the optional formal night, as I really do like dressing up. If I'm the only one, so be it. I'm doing it anyway!

You will not be the only one dressing up, I promise. Hope you have a blast. Come back and tell us all about it.. 8-)

Happy Sails,

Annette

Annette... thanks for letting me know that. It saves us money in the long run as we always thought X would be a nice experience if we wanted something a little more "upscale", but knowing it is about the same.. well.. why pay more for it? lol. It is nice knowing that as someone posted, there are less children onboard.. and before someone flames me, I love children, it is just when there are a LOT of them around me I get uncomfortable. I for one believe kids should be allowed to be kids and to have fun, especially on a family vacation. Just when there is too many, it kind of ruins my good time. 8-). Thank goodness we have never experienced that on any cruiseline so far, but have read horror stories.

Thank you for the review. I have a friend who will only sail on Celebrity. I have sailed twice on Crystal (many years ago) and am taking my first NCL cruise in a week. I don't want to dress in a gown for dinner and my DH would have never agreed to go on this cruise if he had to wear a suit to dinner. Plus I don't always want to eat at the same time. We are in a suite so really looking forward to NCL!

YOU WILL LOVE the Star. I hope Simone is the Concierge on your cruise. She is the best of the best IMHO. We sail for the third time on the Star next May, and if Simone is not there, it will be a HUGE disappointement for us. If you can think about it, would you ask Simone if she will be on the Star next May 22nd? I know she is getting married this Dec and will be on her "vacation" for a few months, just keeping my fingers crossed she will be back by the time we sail on the Star May 22nd.

Interesting comparison. Have been on 2 NCL and 3 Princess, but not Celebrity. One question: Does Celebrity let passengers bring wine on without a corkage fee if they just drink it in their cabin? That was our one beef with NCL, especially when traveling in Italy where we wanted to bring wine back from excursions.

I believe it pays to notice which posters are commenting on their one single cruise with X. Obviously, individual cruises can vary so much, one experience can be very misleading. One poster even extols the virtues of a particular crew member. That obviously has little to do with rating a cruiseline in general.

Our own experience with multiple X and NCL cruises is that OP was right on the money. Nevertheless, we have cruised NCL more often than X -- we have not been as fortunate in finding great $$$ deals with X.

And then there is Celebrity's Xpedition -- not just a class of its own, a world of its own!

Bill

I believe it pays to notice which posters are commenting on their one single cruise with X. Obviously, individual cruises can vary so much, one experience can be very misleading. One poster even extols the virtues of a particular crew member. That obviously has little to do with rating a cruiseline in general.

Our own experience with multiple X and NCL cruises is that OP was right on the money. Nevertheless, we have cruised NCL more often than X -- we have not been as fortunate in finding great $$$ deals with X.

And then there is Celebrity's Xpedition -- not just a class of its own, a world of its own!

Bill

You made a very interesting point when you stated that some people extol the virtues of a particular crew member but that has little to do with rating a cruise line in general. I feel the same way but that is because I am more concerned with the ship itself, itinerary, and overall cruise experience than the cruise line. I have found that most cruise lines, including Celebrity, have some wonderful ships, as well as other ships that I prefer not to sail on. Yet, for some people their relationship with various crew members on Celebrity is an essential part of their overall enjoyment of a cruise and they would not feel as comfortable on other cruise lines because of it. While all cruise lines emphasize service, Celebrity is unique in that it appears to encourage their crew to forge long term friendships with their passengers.

Bill

You are correct. I know food critics dine at a restaurant twice to get a proper representation of a meal. One time is not enough to judge fairly. However, the first and only time can serve up an impression of whether one might want to return. As I had a favorable opinion on X I would definately cruise them again. Notso much with Carnival. Sure, I might give them a second chance if the opportunity presented itself, but due to my limited exposure on both of those lines, as well as my lone trip in RCCL, I do not frequent those lines' boards on CC, but rather give limited commentary when those lines are discussed on this board. Totally agree with your take on that subject. I hope in quite a few years when I retirethat I can try them all multiple times.

Annette... thanks for letting me know that. It saves us money in the long run as we always thought X would be a nice experience if we wanted something a little more "upscale", but knowing it is about the same.. well.. why pay more for it? lol.

Hi Terry,

I'm not trying to discourage you from trying X and satisfying your own curiosity...we'd never have known if we didn't try it and in that regard we don't regret it. If you're interested, here's the link to our full review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=58502.

Honestly - we didn't set out to be super-critical, and pretty much all our disappointment came from having our expectations set too high (a tribute to the power of persuasion and the marvels of modern advertising :)). That's why I responded to your earlier comments...as always, YMMV. I wish you excellent luck on whatever trip you choose next...wish us luck back - we're trying Carnival :D!

Happy Sails,

Annette

Thanks so much for the balanced view of both cruise lines. We neither want to have to follow a rigid schedule or get dressed up for formal nights, so it's encouraging to see that other cruise lines are trying out the freestyle concept.

I very much appreciate those who have experienced those versions posting and giving us the scoop so we know if it's the real deal or just a bit of misleading claims in hopes of reeling us in. :)

Interesting comparison. Have been on 2 NCL and 3 Princess, but not Celebrity. One question: Does Celebrity let passengers bring wine on without a corkage fee if they just drink it in their cabin? That was our one beef with NCL, especially when traveling in Italy where we wanted to bring wine back from excursions.

These sorts of rules can change year by year. But last Labor Day we brought on two bottles of wine (maximum allowed per cabin, I believe but it may be per person). The "ticket" tells you the amount. After that I think they still have the $15 corkage fee. When I sailed Celebrity between 2004-6 you could not bring it on unless you just lucked out.

Likewise, at port stops they did not go thru your packages/bags. DH not knowing the rules brought on beer at every port and was never stopped.

Terry, judging you from all the posts of yours that I've read, I think you and Doug might enjoy X. Give it a try when they're having a sale!

What a lovely thread! Thanks OP for such a fair comparison between the two lines. We did feel the Celebrity seemed a bit more upscale, but as others have pointed out maybe it was because it seemed less crowded and had less children. My own children actually enjoyed the quietness as compared to the NCL cruises we have all been on..... I think both lines are just amazing with some wonderful things, and yes more similar than different..... I was pleasantly surprised since on the Celebrity board it seems that they see a much larger difference and I was not sure if my children would have a good time or not. But they did! and they too found the ships had more in common than differences,.

• 1 month later...
NCL's ranking goes way up if booked in a suite and throw in a few specialty restaurants, especially dining ensuite in pjs. But I must agree on Celebrit's food... My dinner on Celebrity Summit's Normandie ($25 upcharge) was elegant and most delicious, my favorite meal at sea, to date.

i'm pretty sure you can order dining room fare during dining room hours to any cabin on a celebrity ship.

You will not be the only one dressing up, I promise. Hope you have a blast. Come back and tell us all about it.. 8-)

Well, I had a lot of fun on my cruise! A little (or a lot!) chilly, but still really fun! I don't even remember noticing whether or not other people dressed up on the optional formal night. I actually only did on the first one. By the time the second one came around, I was very surprised it was on a day we were in port. Given that, I just didn't feel like dressing up by the time evening rolled around.

Now, given a similar itinerary and similar price, I would still choose Celebrity over NCL. However, I will not rule out another NCL cruise. I still thought the service was better on Celebrity. I found there were more things for me to do during the day on Celebrity - more variety in the trivia games, a guest speaker (in Alaska, a naturalist; in Scotland/Ireland, a historian), etc. Though on both lines, there was waaaayyyy too much to do in the evenings, which meant I had to choose between activities!

On NCL, I did like that it was an option to dress up or not. The towel animals are so cute, which Celebrity doesn't do. I didn't like that so many hallways ended in a dead end (guess I'm just not used to that). Little thing, I know. I didn't like that so many (all?) of the seats by windows that had a table (there were a few window seats without a table) were in a specialty restaurant, so I couldn't just go sit by one during the day and read or do whatever. Another little thing, but I like having a tray in the buffet to carry everything (though apparently on Celebrity's newer ships, they are no longer providing trays).

So, the differences I saw were minor, really.

My husband and I were die hard Celebrity cruisers. We took our first freeestyle cruise about three years ago, and have been back six times. Personally, I like most things about Celebrity better with the exception of Freestyle Dining.( the most Important aspect for us)

I don't think we could ever go back to traditional dining. NCL does seem to have better prices than Celebrity. I now find I am willing to try any cruise line that will let me dress and dine as we want to. Anyone else?

Bella

Personally, I like most things about Celebrity better with the exception of Freestyle Dining.( the most Important aspect for us)

Of course, the one big difference that I didn't mention! I think it was gone from my head because I knew ahead of time that I wouldn't change my mind in preferring traditional dining. I like having the same waiter and eating with the same people every day. But the main reason that I prefer it is that I don't cruise as part of a couple; I go with friends. We are less likely to do things together, including eating together, so it's nice to have that same group of people you know you will eat with every evening.

My husband and I were die hard Celebrity cruisers. We took our first freeestyle cruise about three years ago, and have been back six times. Personally, I like most things about Celebrity better with the exception of Freestyle Dining.( the most Important aspect for us)

I don't think we could ever go back to traditional dining. NCL does seem to have better prices than Celebrity. I now find I am willing to try any cruise line that will let me dress and dine as we want to. Anyone else?

Bella

Celebrity just rolled out a version of Freestyle dining. I'm sure the dress code is still in effect, but you would be able to choose when to eat and with whomever (if anyone) you choose.

Archived