Odyssey drydock

howndder

I checked the Odyssey thread and couldn't find anything on this topic and so...

I was looking out for next years fall crossing and was thinking of doing a back to back and originally the Seabourn site listed a Rome to Ft. lauderdale in a grand voyage kind of deal, but now it doesn't. So, I emailed Seabourn and they said she will be in a wet/drydock situation for those 2 weeks. Does anyone have info as to why there is a need for dydock so soon?

Howard

I hope this isn't like "Regents" "Navigator". She has this terrible vibration and rumble in the rear third of the ship. While we were doing a South Pacific trip we, "ran over several whales", so to speak. At least that's what we made up about the noise levels and vibrations. They have tried to fix this problem for years, without much luck. Let's hope Seabourn gets it right.

Howard

I was mucking around with the gps on the iPhone and noticed a couple of times we were doing close to 20 knots and was extremely smooth and quiet. Propulsion is diesel electric which is why it is so smooth and quiet from what the Captain was saying.

For what its worth, I have been told that the Odyssey has a terrible vibration at speeds over 15 knots and that it can only be corrected through drydocking the ship.

Yes,I did experience this as the ship leaves port and is excelerating.This is something to do with the engine being installed at an early stage in the build.It can only be rectified at dry dock.The vibration is not noticable on every sail away.There is also a bad soot problem which is noticable on the deck of the spa.

It seems that there is a negative approach to the dry dock here on this board as if there were something really wrong. By the time they get to it the Odyssey will have sailed 15 or 16 months. Why not look at it as Seabourn making sure she stays ship shape? Yes, there are a few things to correct but what new ship doesn't have such situations?

I agree with Wripro. What's with this negative conjecture? People who have sailed on Odyssey say uniformly that it's a magnificent triumph and I would agree as I had the pleasure of joining the maiden voyage.

I look forward to seeing everyone on the transatlantic voyage in 27 days (and counting)!

Howard

We know as to "the grapevine" ~~the information I received is one of the Odyssey's thruster's (the thruster that moves the ship sideways to a dock) is not in operation.

This certainly won't deter from having a grand time aboard the new big Sister ~~

MB

Howard

We know as to "the grapevine" ~~the information I received is one of the Odyssey's thruster's (the thruster that moves the ship sideways to a dock) is not in operation.

This certainly won't deter from having a grand time aboard the new big Sister ~~

MB

I remember that the problems with the thruster began in Aghios Nicolaos, Crete, on day 6 of the maiden voyage....

We just returned from two weeks on Odyssey. There was definitely a vibration problem. The first night out of Istanbul we were having dinner in the Colonade, our table vibrated so much that our wine glasses almost tipped over. We were moved to a different table to continue our dinner. Odyssey is a beautiful ship, combining size and comfort perfectly. We totally enjoyed our time on board. The food and crew more than made up for the vibration and soot problems. Clearly these are two problems that require drydock work. A new ship always has issues. I'm glad to hear that Seabourn is addressing them in the upcoming drydock.

I'm a bit concerned about the vibration problem on the Odyssey during our Transatlantic Crossing ~~most Odyssey and Sojourn Crossings are scheduled for 12 days. We will have 9 1/2 days from Malaga to Ft Lauderdale. (1/2 day in Funchal) I am thinking this means SPEED!:eek:

Anyone else wondering about the Crossing?

Martita B.

I'm a bit concerned about the vibration problem on the Odyssey during our Transatlantic Crossing ~~most Odyssey and Sojourn Crossings are scheduled for 12 days. We will have 9 1/2 days from Malaga to Ft Lauderdale. (1/2 day in Funchal) I am thinking this means SPEED!:eek:

Anyone else wondering about the Crossing?

Martita B.

Yes I've been wondering about that as well Martita.

Archived