Odyssey drydock

howndder

We spent 4 weeks on the Odyssey in August/September, we didn't have any problems with the vibration whilst cruising.

But when the side thrusters were used when we were docking, then the whole cabin seemed to vibrate (we were in 609) which wasn't the best at 6am. We haven't experienced a transatlantic yet on the triplets that is still a couple of years away.

J.

Hi Condor,

I agree with your observatons

whilst I was a first time cruiser and was not sure what to expect, as an engineer, I was wondering why vibrations were occurring within the Odyssey, particularly when it is such a new ship.

What was of most concerning was that whilst the ship was docked, the vibrations continued on level 8 and 9 in the patio grill and sky bar.

During traveling, the vibration was really prominent on level 4 just at the base of the stairs in front of the The Restaurant entrance. If you recall, some glass balustrade had cracked which I believed was due to the vibration and over tensioned the glass fasteners.

In my review of the Odyssey, I actually mentioned that the ship builder should have been on the ship to attend to these and other matters.

However, I am comforted that it will be dry docked where I am sure, these plus other matters will be attended to.

Regards

Alfa

As I mentioned above we have only 9 1/2 days to Cross ~~the Captain will need to speed to arrive in Ft Lauderdale by Nov. 10th.

What about the Odyssey's vibration at HIGH speed across the Atlantic???:confused:

Thanks!

Martita B.

If there are any hiccups on the crossing, hope they have them fixed by the 14th :eek:

Hi,

during high speeds I actually noticed less vibration which was strange. regardless, the vibration is not to a level that will spoil your time on the ship

Alfa

From experience I know that every ship's engine has a critical rotation number - if you notice that, you either speed up or slow down.

Cars can have the same problem.

Marja

As I mentioned above we have only 9 1/2 days to Cross ~~the Captain will need to speed to arrive in Ft Lauderdale by Nov. 10th.

What about the Odyssey's vibration at HIGH speed across the Atlantic???:confused:

Thanks!

Martita B.

The good thing about the vibration is that there is no need to take an electric tooth brush.:)

Rotty

To complete the look I'll pack my black boa to go with the orange lifejacket! Of course, my highheeled spectator pumps ~~speeding across the ocean in 9 1/2 days!:eek:

I know we'll have a wonderful crossing ~~wish you could be with us!

Martita B

Thank you for your kind thoughts....I'll email you today....

I'm sure the Odyessey will be even more spectacular once you board with all you cohorts....

Enjoy!!

Rotty

To complete the look I'll pack my black boa to go with the orange lifejacket! Of course, my highheeled spectator pumps ~~speeding across the ocean in 9 1/2 days!:eek:

I know we'll have a wonderful crossing ~~wish you could be with us!

Martita B

• 1 month later...

Our dear friends just returned from the Odyssey crossing, and, they were not happy with the ship and the service.

On the voyage thread (blog), we hear the service was "spotty", but, from our friends, we heard it was often aweful, more than three hours to complete service, well over 20 minutes after the show schedule.

They noted that vibrations were almost constant in several areas of the ship, notably the "Sky Bar" and the port aft section of the Seabourn Square, as well as other aft sections.

They also noted that the ship did not look like a new ship, 4 months, but, years older. The hallway carpets looked well beyond near replacement.

So, we're "newbies", booked on the spring crossing, what should we do?

We're also booked on another luxury cruise at the same time.

Help from those who have cruised mosy recently.

Good morning Just88. Regrettably your friends experienced exactly the same issues that we encountered on our 21 day cruise on Odessey in september - clearly nothing has been done to rectify even simple things like stained hallway carpeting. We too were newbies to the Seabourn brand and were very underwelmed. Unfortunately there appear to be too many ' regulars' willing to accept shoddy service and a poor ship state just because it is Seabourn. For a new ship it certainly has plenty of areas needing urgent attention. However I am sure you will have a great time and there are many positives ( especially the brilliant, undermanned staff ) to make your trip whorthwhile.

>"Unfortunately there appears to be too many ' regulars' willing to accept shoddy service and a poor ship state just because it is Seabourn."

I sail Seabourn for the service and luxury of the ship. If it's not up to my expectations, I am sure to comment on the areas that need attention. I assume many things will be dealt

with as soon as possible. I have found hat many service issues are promptly resolved. The physical plant issues may take longer. But if my soup is lukewarm, I send it back. However, I understand that some issues might take a bit more time. But yes, I might be more 'forgiving' for Seabourn. <g> Isn't that the way with family?

The only place I noticed the vibration ~~Sky Bar stools on Deck 9.

I couldn't sit there ~~

Also friends were in 810 on the TA and the vibration was teriffic ~~they couldn't sleep ~~why they didn't visit with the Hotel Manager is a mystery ~~there were suites open.

My #723 suite ~~NO vibration at all. Very comfortable.

Happy Sailing

MB

We have just returned from the Istanbul to Fort Lauderdale Cruise and can report the following....On the first sector when we were in PH635 the vibration was not noticeable especially when speeds were under 15 kts.On the second leg we had to move to PH917 and any time our speed was over 15kts the vibration was intense and constant and that was the whole Atlantic Crossing....Sleeping was difficult even with ear plugs which did help a little. The Toilet chamber particularly was like a bucking bronco and had nothing to do with the sea state which was fairly calm the whole way across.

Upon investigation we found that the forward decks 8,9 and 10 all had the vibration including the Observation Lounge but was most intense in the Suites.The vibration was so bad that when we finally made it to Fort Lauderdale we were physically sick for three days after, we were walking around in what felt like a fog. I am fairly sure that the continual vibration from which there was no escape was the culprit.

In trying to analyse the cause of the vibration my 'theory ' is that inorder to make the 19 kts that we averaged the Captain was running all four ( 4 ) Generator engines which supply the ship as well as the electric drive motors with power and perhaps one or more of theses sets have a mounting or other problem which transmits the vibration through the structure.....most of the generator engines are situated forward on the ship under the accomodation decks.At one point a steam pipe below decks broke ,shutting down one or more of the generators and the vibration was noticeably absent during that time.....A wall of silence came down anytime the matter was broached with the ships Officers especially the Captain.......My personal view is that the problem is not hydrodynamic but then on a ship especially a new one it could be a combination of many things ?

Regarding the service on board?...yes there are problems ...understaffing and undertraining being one but during the 24 days we spent on board there was noticeable improvements often on a day to day basis.....There are problems with room service particularly with items arriving hot apparently due in part to the long distance and time that it takes from the galley to the suites particularly the higher ones.....Seabourn has work to do to correct this issue .

The food was of a very high quality through out the ship and other than the menu repeating itself I can find nothing to complain about there.

Unfortunately for us the VIBRATION problem overrode all that was good on board and we shall not be going back until we are certain that this problem has been corrected.

Odyssey does seem to have some major issues. I received an email yesterday from friends in the U.K. who boarded in Istanbul. They did not go into too much detail but advised, apart from severe vibration in their room causing them loss of sleep, the ship is in dire need of service improvements in the main restaurant. Some of the staff appeared untrained and service was in many cases, but not all, very spotty and drawn out. They appear to have enough staff but some seem untrained (I'll add: after 4 months these issues should be minimal and not the norm). Trying to be served coffee in the Colonnade at breakfast and then to get a refill was many times frustrating. There was also some type of smell in their room that would come and go. Their stewardess advised that they think it's something in the pipes and some of her other rooms had the same odor but the source is so far a mystery. They did mention it is a beautiful ship with a hard working crew.

I must start wondering that if Seabourn have a tough time securing well trained new staff for Odyssey, what will happen with the service level when the 2 new ships go into service?

I must start wondering that if Seabourn have a tough time securing well trained new staff for Odyssey, what will happen with the service level when the 2 new ships go into service?

Seabourn faces the same problems as Cunard and Silversea with regard to training new staff,although Seabourn and Silversea offer food,service and training a little higher than Cunard which reflects in the money paid to the staff.

We, too, have recently completed the Odyssey Crossing and cannot believe it is the same cruise others are reporting on. Maybe we were lucky with our suite (523) but we had no vibration at all. We felt the Captain was very open with regard to the problem of the burst pipe and explained the incident fully. We did not encounter any vibration at all except at one end of Seabourn Square. The only criticism (slight) that we had was occasional slow service which was obviously due to the number of new members of staff. We thought the carpets looked in better condition than they were on the Maiden Voyage!!

Shelagh and Larry

We were also on the Odyssey crossing and felt the vibration mostly around the skybar.....could have been the champagne of course!! But another couple who were on their first Seabourn cruise did tell me that they had complained about it several times to the Hotel Manager and while it got better for a while always came back and they really suffered for lack of sleep. They were moved to a different suite, but the bed was facing the wrong way, so I guess there's no pleasing some people!! I would always recommend deck 5 or 6 for preference.

Our favourite eating venue in the evenings was outside at the Colannade, it certainly had the most atmosphere and good service as far as we were concerned. Could not say the same for the Dining Room. Also we never suffered for lack of service at the Colannade for breakfast no matter how busy they were.

We have two more cruises booked on the Sisters but we can't wait to go back to the Odyssey, she is a beautiful ship.

Archived