Will we be out of place in tuxedo & gown?

usha

I'm preparing to pack for our first Royal Caribbean cruise next week (Enchantment 4 nt).

I've read so much about how casual the pax on RCI tend to dress, that I'm really wondering if my husband & I will look out of place in tuxedo & gown for formal night? :o

I'm preparing to pack for our first Royal Caribbean cruise next week (Enchantment 4 nt).

I've read so much about how casual the pax on RCI tend to dress, that I'm really wondering if my husband & I will look out of place in tuxedo & gown for formal night? :o

Absolutely Not. You will look wonderful, DW and I are usually in Gown and Tux and never felt out of place, but when I haven't dressed formally I haven't felt out of place either.

Good Afternoon:

If that is what you want to wear, you should never feel out of place. The great thing with cruises is that it is hit or miss. There are always other people dressed like you and others not.

No one should feel out of place (unless they decide to go naked :eek: )

Enjoy your cruise!

Here is my advice....LOL...I am no expert or do I claim to be!

Do whatever you want and enjoy it! I made my DH get the white coat tux with the black pants and black bow tie. My daughters all had gowns as did I. Our table mates had on sundresses and the guys a shirt and tie, no jackets. I enjoyed getting dressed up and fancy. It never happens unless we are on a cruise. I even had my hair done! :) They went casual and to be honest good for them. They were well dressed. No jeans, t-shirt or shorts. They looked very nice, just not formal. Did not affect my food at all or my experience. There were many in tuxes on on my 7 nighter, many in suits and many in shirts. Have fun, do what you want, but look nice and presentable. No polos or sneakers :)

If the suggested evening wear is "formal" than no you shouldn't feel out of place. On my last RCCL cruise I saw everything on formal night from a young kid in Tux and tails to an older guy with slack and open collar shirt...go figure. A lot of people still like to dress up and if you like to...by all means do so. I do think on the shorter cruises you'll see more suits and ties for the men vs Tuxes. Just do what feels best for you.

RC has "formal" nights just so you have a chance to wear your dress-ups. In general, the shorter the cruise, the more it will tend toward less formal, but you will not be alone in tux and gown by any means. Just came from an NCL cruise (advertised as all informal) and because there are nights where they take portraits, even on there some dressed formally and did not seem out of place.

I have my own tux, but The Partner does not. On our first cruise, we rented one from RC for him--which, I am sorry to say, was a disaster. The clasp on the trousers which make them "one size fits nobody" wouldn't stay clasped. On the first formal night he had to hold his pants up every time he stood up. For the second formal night, he wore a black pair of slacks (Dockers) with the jacket/shirt etc. I would bet money very few if any people noticed the missing stripe down the seam...

That said, the paraphernalia takes a lot of space, and if something simpler means I can cut one piece of luggage I usually do. The most we've slummed it was still a sports jacket and tie--and we've never been the most underdressed people in the dining room. We've also never been overdressed, even with full tuxes. Of course, if you're thinking white tie and swallow-tailed coat you might be pushing it...

Archived