Chefs Table + Pregnancy

Punchie

I am going on the Emerald in a week (YAY!!!!) with my mother and daughter. My mother and I would like to do the Chef's Table tour/dining experience, but....I am pregnant. Should I skip it this cruise, or would they be able to accommodate any dietary restrictions brought about b/c of pregnancy?

Thank you. :)

The alcohol, I'll have to skip...but I guess it's because there isn't necessarily a consensus as to what pregnant women should avoid/eat. Like, be wary of fish b/c of mercury, be wary of cold cuts b/c of listeria... I didn't know if they service anything exotic that might be something I would have to avoid.

My daughter is 3, so she wouldn't be joining us at the CT. Maybe in 10 yrs or so.

There is so much food on offer that you won't go hungry. If you are concerned, you can discuss it with the maitre d' ahead of time.

As you say, there's no real consensus on what to eat/avoid when pregnant. I think if one is healthy and eats in moderation, there is little to be concerned about with any food offered on board.

I'd watch out for uncooked meat and fish, like sushi and ceviche too. I have no idea what you might find on the menu at CT tho. My question would be, are you going for the food (in which case I might wait til next time when perhaps you can eat whatever and enjoy the champagne), or the experience itself? I'm sure they will find something for you to eat, but it might not be the same....but the tour of the kitchen, time in the small group, etc would be there.

Have a great cruise!

While its true that Listeria can be a serious problem for pregnant women, it's also wise to keep things in perspective. About 6 million women get pregnant each year in the US. According to the CDC, there are only about 2500 reported cases of Listeria, and only 27% of these are in pregnant women (so, about 700).

That means your chances of getting Listeria during pregnancy are about 0.01%.

I'm not advocating that women shouldn't be careful about what they eat. It's just that sometimes there is a lot of fearmongering on the subject and women spend the whole pregnancy worrying about every mouthful they eat or bug they might encounter (e.g., Toxoplasmosis).

While its true that Listeria can be a serious problem for pregnant women, it's also wise to keep things in perspective. About 6 million women get pregnant each year in the US. According to the CDC, there are only about 2500 reported cases of Listeria, and only 27% of these are in pregnant women (so, about 700).

That means your chances of getting Listeria during pregnancy are about 0.01%.

I'm not advocating that women shouldn't be careful about what they eat. It's just that sometimes there is a lot of fearmongering on the subject and women spend the whole pregnancy worrying about every mouthful they eat or bug they might encounter (e.g., Toxoplasmosis).

Thanks for this answer, no need to get paranoid about everything.

Just got back from the island yesterday, we did the chef's table I let them know I was allergic to seafood and any course that had seafood they gave me an alternative except the caviar dish. No big deal was made of the fact that I was eating something slighlty different. I would say go for it but let them know before hand what things you can't eat. We loved it, well worth every penny.

I may be wrong on this ... but I have read on some threads that they will reduce the price if you are not going to be drinking any wine or alcohol ... of which, there is A LOT! :D

On our CT, there was nothing that I would really consider exotic. Certainly if you have alergies you should discuss those with the maitre d' and they will be accomodated.

Enjoy!

Be sure you take the vitamins the doctor suggested that you take and have a good time. If you want to do the captains table... do it - who cares if you can't drink - its still gonna be fun and something different. Be sure you check what the pregnancy restrictions are - I think that after 20 weeks or so you aren't allowed on a cruise ship (or some of them) - just make sure what the rules are. The reason for that is because they aren't able to resuscitate your baby on a cruise ship should it be born.

Archived