Coopdedoop

Is booking the land/hotel pre river cruise a necessity  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Is booking the land/hotel pre river cruise a necessity

• It is easier when the company arranges everything
    • It helps to meet some of the other passengers
    • Prefer to book hotels and transportation on our own
    • No, don't see any advantage

We are booked on the same cruise for October 2010 and decided to take the $660 pp package for the following reasons:

1. We would first have to fly to Prague and pay for our hotel, which is not cheap in Prague.

2. We would have to setup our own touring in Prague with no help and have to take our own city tour.

3. We would then have to transfer from Prague to Neuremburg, which is quite a distance, not very easy, and VERY expensive.

We I added up all the costs for the above it came out to be about $50-$100pp less then taking the AMA package. We decided that avoiding the inconvience and lose of the benefits were not worth the savings.

We spent a great deal of time on line checking out hotels, city tours, and transportation costs before the decision was made.

I hope this information is of value to you.

I always make my own pre trip arrangements using Fodors and Tripadvisor to find my hotels and hints on sightseeing. I disagree about Budapest as you can find some very reasonable priced hotels there. I generally prefer the smaller local hotels to the large business type hotels that the tour company uses.I have traveled to Europe 7 times in the last 7 years and have always saved about 1/2 over what I would pay if I went with the Tour company arrangements.I love doing that and the planning of the trip is really fun for me. I also never use the air as I can always get a better deal on my own with better connections..We are doing a France rivercruise next April and I am already looking at several different hotels in Paris for the 2 days that we will arrive early.I think I have found what I want and I emailed them today for a room in April. This hotel is about 1/3 of the cost of the Le Meridien Montparnasse and in a much better location being just a couple of blocks away from Tour Eiffel near the Musea de Orsay.Some people might not enjoy all the work but it is fun for me.If you have to pay for the tranfers with the cruise company I guarantee you will be able to do it much cheaper on your own either taking a taxi or the airport shuttle.

You won't be sorry if you take the pre-cruise package. Prague is so wonderful and very easy and walkable, but the hotel AMA put us in was extremely well located and our cruise director was in the lobby during the 3 days we were there to help us in any way we needed. I can't recommend doing this enough!! See my AMA Amadante Review on the Member Reviews. You can also e-mail me at jgarrett@hlcapital.com with questions if you like.

You're going to LOVE this AMA trip!

• 2 months later...

Prague to Nuremberg is a a 3.45 hour bus ride on new and lovely buses with excellent fares available- if you book in advance and not from the cruise line. Of course transfers from them (AMA) are more expensive as they add fees and also want you to book their packages so they make more money so these calculations are not really accurate..

I found hotel rooms in Prague to be quite reasonable and prefer to choose and book my own and not stay in the large tour group hotels used by the cruise lines. And I can choose a true city center location.

I also dislike the herd style of travel and am very comfortable setting off on my own.

We always book our own air, hotels and transportation and save money as well as get the location and experience we prefer.

Depends on what kind of traveler you are IMO.

There´s a direct busline from Prague to Nuremberg operated by Deutsche Bahn (German Rail). Single fare is EUR 48 pp. Duration is the mentioned 3:45 h. It´s called Expressbus. But you need a reservation for it (can be made online up to 92 days prior to departure via http://www.bahn.de but you have to use the German names: Prag and Nürnberg).

Then you will only need a cab from Central Station in Nuremberg to the Canal where the ship is located.

steamboats

Not sure about the transfer from Prague to Nuremburg, but there is a stop in Karlovy Vary when you go from Nuremburg to Prague --> sort of breaks up the trip a bit. There is also a bit of commentary - although some people find that more annoying than helpful.

I guess some of your decision depends on how much you enjoy the process of travel/arrangements on your own. We enjoyed having the guided tour in Prague - and found our hotel quite central. It would be worth the extra cost - for us - to not have to worry about the transfer to Nuremburg, but others truly enjoy the independence.

Whatever your decision - enjoy the trip. It is amazing countryside, and the history is so "alive" everywhere...

Can't speak to the hotel - sorry... Ours was arranged as part of the tour package. We were in the Intercontinental in Budapest - and it was (IMHO) a perfect location. Right on the Danube - not far from a transit - within walking distance of almost everything.

Fran

Archived