Babies in the dining room

TnTnFlorida

When my children cried in any restaurant or store or any public place, I removed them.

yeah..it's an inconvenience and lot of work and yes, I left carts full of groceries in supermarkets and left dinners in restaurants to get cold. But parenting is a lot of work and I understood that when I took on the huge responsibility of becoming a Mom.

OP I agree with you 100%. Babies will be babies. That doesn't mean that people eating a nice dinner out need to listen to my child wail. That's just bull.

Excellent response. icon14.gif

Oh my biggest pet peeve is children running around a restaurant. I have 13 year old twins and that would have been the day they got up out of their seats and ran around, they wouldn't have lived to see 13 lol

Those parents that let their kids run around would be the 1st people to blame the management when their child gets scauled with a hot meal or hot coffee. ughhh:eek:

I agree crying kids need to be taken out of the dining room until the are calmed down.

My 2 kids now 15 and 12 were had two totally different temperments as babies. DS only cried when wet, hurt or tired. Once we ruled out wet or hurt a pacifier and a place to lay down usually did the trick with tired. We could go out to eat anywhere with him without him making a peep. DD on the other hand was a terror. She cried from the moment she was born until she could talk (then she didn't stop talking). We tried a couple times to go out to eat with her and always ended up leaving. We stopped trying until she got older then we started with places like McDonalds until she can handle the sit-down restaurants. When DD was able to talk, she was also able to listen to and follow rules. That is when we taught her table manners - and we learned how to distract her with coloring, tic-tac-toe, and eye spy. From the time DD was toddler we have received many compliments on both our childrens behavior in restaurants from complete strangers. They can be taught from toddler on ... but babies sometimes can not be controlled or pacified and sometimes need to be removed.

While I am not against a child being in a restaurant, I am against a constantly crying child in a restaurant. It is the parents responsibility to either fix their problem or get them out. They should not subject the rest of the people eating to their screaming child. That is rude and is the parents fault.

I have to also agree here. We took our 10 month old daughter on a Baltic cruise on the Westerdam a few years back. She did very well most nights in the main dining room. But, there were a few nights that she let us know very quickly that she was not going to cooperate. So, we went up to the virtually empty buffet and had dinner and let her crawl around and be a baby. We were happier, she was happier and the dining room guests that didn't have to hear her scream were happier.

When my children cried in any restaurant or store or any public place, I removed them.

yeah..it's an inconvenience and lot of work and yes, I left carts full of groceries in supermarkets and left dinners in restaurants to get cold. But parenting is a lot of work and I understood that when I took on the huge responsibility of becoming a Mom.

OP I agree with you 100%. Babies will be babies. That doesn't mean that people eating a nice dinner out need to listen to my child wail. That's just bull.

I agree wholeheartedly. Babies cry for a reason. Go tend to the reason since that is our job as parents. Not everyone wants to listen to a baby cry nonstop. If it is just a baby that wants milk, get them milk etc then the crying will stop then you and everyone else can enjoy their dinner.

I was sitting in a local restaurant and there was a teenager using his silverware as drumsticks and banging them together and on the table etc. Nobody spoke up and told him to stop it. My husband and I looked at each other & said that would never happen at our table - we'd be telling our kids that if they didn't straighten up, they would never go out to dinner again. Parenting is a responsibility that too many folks take lightly.

No one wants to hear a baby or toddler crying or acting out. But now that I have two grown kids I'm a lot more tolerant. It's one thing if the child *Really* is pitching a fit (as opposed to an embellished retelling of the scene) and the parents are just ignoring it. But if the child is cranky, and the parents are making an effort to quiet him, and make him happy, that's quite another story, at least IMHO.

Sometimes the nasty comments intended for the parents to overhear are far worse than anything coming from the baby. Far worse than the babies are the bores that give the waitress a lecture on why their drink must have shaved ice, not crushed, or those that loudly insist the steak on their plate that is hemorrhaging blood and making "Mooing" sounds is not rare. I especially love the ones that insist you know they're having a grand time by yelling, hooting, and laughing at the top of their lungs while I'm trying to have a conversation with my wife.

If we kick the babies out of restaurants, the whiners will just find something else to cry about. So why bother?

the op stated the baby began to fuss 20 minutes into dining..FUSSING..

HE DIDN'T SAY THE BABY CRIED FOR 20 MINUTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well behaved children should be rewarded with being able to go out in public. how dare people just assume they should be hidden away!

my kids have been flying on airplanes since birth! i come prepared. shame on parents who do not attempt to be prepared, but there are instances when a child "fusses" fussing is not that big of a deal.

snobs snobs snobs! shall we throw all the children in the dungeon? lol

no one wants to hear a baby or toddler crying or acting out. But now that i have two grown kids i'm a lot more tolerant. It's one thing if the child *really* is pitching a fit (as opposed to an embellished retelling of the scene) and the parents are just ignoring it. But if the child is cranky, and the parents are making an effort to quiet him, and make him happy, that's quite another story, at least imho.

Sometimes the nasty comments intended for the parents to overhear are far worse than anything coming from the baby. Far worse than the babies are the bores that give the waitress a lecture on why their drink must have shaved ice, not crushed, or those that loudly insist the steak on their plate that is hemorrhaging blood and making "mooing" sounds is not rare. I especially love the ones that insist you know they're having a grand time by yelling, hooting, and laughing at the top of their lungs while i'm trying to have a conversation with my wife.

If we kick the babies out of restaurants, the whiners will just find something else to cry about. So why bother?

i concur!

I totally agree. If I am out paying money for a nice restaurant etc. and a kid starts crying, yes, I get annoyed after a reasonable amount of time. Anything over a few minutes needs to be handled by the parent in a more private setting.

I live by that rule with my own kids, because I know if others kids can get on my nerves, mine can get on theirs. If they cant act right do what it takes to make the situation right, even if it means you miss your hot meal...its all part of being a parent with manners.

Well behaved children should be rewarded with being able to go out in public. how dare people just assume they should be hidden away!

my kids have been flying on airplanes since birth! i come prepared. shame on parents who do not attempt to be prepared, but there are instances when a child "fusses" fussing is not that big of a deal.

Woah to the drama! :eek:

You remove the baby from the dining room (go right outside the dining room) until the baby is calm, and then return with the baby.

\

How difficult is that??

Dungeon??? :rolleyes:

Dear God, it's like daytime soaps in here sometimes.

Oh good grief, could you be any more dramatic? There are a lot of mothers weighing in here. Not one of them suggested banning "all the children." We are simply saying that if your kid or baby has a meltdown, take them outside until they either calm down or if that is not in the cards, take them back to the room and attend to their needs, which is what any mother (or father) worth her salt should be ready, willing, and able to do! Babies cry because they need something. Very few of them "need" to be in a formal dining room being ignored by parents who are too busy enjoying their fine dining experience to notice their child is hungry, tired, overstimulated, wet, or poopy.:rolleyes:

We have been on a several cruises and only encountered 2 "bad" situations with small kids. During our first visit to the "Supper Club/Steakhouse", there were 2 young children screaming intermittently during our entire dinner. Fortunately, that SC was 2 decks and we were on the upper (they were on the lower), otherwise, it would have been intolerable. And the parents just let them walk around with no regard to others. RUDE- parents, please keep your child at your own table.

Last February, in MDR, there was a couple whose toddler shrieked every single night for 5-15 minutes. Eventually, he would stop and then resume later in the meal. Again, thankfully we were a good distance away from them, but it was still annoying. The parents did not take him out even once. I have 5 kids and a grand-daughter. My kids are old enough to behave and when they were younger I would rather just eat at home. I happen to think my 2 year old grand daughter is adorable, but not everyone thinks so. I cannot wait to take her on her first cruise, but maybe one more year...she just wouldn't have too much fun yet. And when we do take her, I would like her to be with us. She doesn't cry much, never has, but 2 hours of dinner is more than she would enjoy. Last night in church she decided to start calling her uncle's name (sitting a few rows back). I didn't hesitate to immediately take her out, not to punish her, but to be CONSIDERATE of others. Once we become parents, it's no longer all about us!!!!!!

HE DIDN'T SAY THE BABY CRIED FOR 20 MINUTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......

Fussing is my word for crying. The baby was not "screaming bloody murder" but the baby was crying. I can not tell you for how long...I did not time it. It might have been 5 minutes or 25. I was not paying that much attention, as I was more interested in my tablemates and out conversation. I can only tell you that other diners were commenting and bothered by it.

I could only read to page 2...

Since no one is really happy, would a good solution be adding a new dining room with the option dedicated adults only dining room? Lots of different directions to go, could even do 100% formal...

Won't work. Anytime you exclude a group from a venue or service, you have your hands full with angries.

Won't work. Anytime you exclude a group from a venue or service, you have your hands full with angries.

I think it would work out in the long run...I think 99% of people would be fine with it. There is already an adult only pool on most ships...This isn't any sort of exclusion, it's an additional option... :)

[quote name='halos']When my children cried in any restaurant or store or any public place, I removed them.

OP I agree with you 100%. Babies will be babies. That doesn't mean that people eating a nice dinner out need to listen to my child wail. That's just bull.[/quote]

I agree with you..........I don't mind the noise so much on Lido deck, however in the Dining Room common sense should dictate removal of a child that goes on for an extended time. I was at a talk many years ago after the Manson murders where the prosecutor Vincent Bugliosi spoke on the trial. In a room of 500 people smack dab in the middle of the seating area a small child cried and carried on. Mr. Bugliosi let this go on for just a few short minutes and then he stopped and asked the crowd........."Is this crying bothering anyone else" to which there were many affirmative response. He then said we will just wait until the mother takes the child and leaves the auditorium" She left and the rest of us got to hear the Charlie Manson case without distraction. It might be difficult to ask the parents directly to take the fussy child from the room...........but a waiter or maitre d certainly should be able to handle the situation.

[quote name='nrdsb4']Oh good grief, could you be any more dramatic? There are a lot of mothers weighing in here. Not one of them suggested banning "all the children." We are simply saying that if your kid or baby has a meltdown, take them outside until they either calm down or if that is not in the cards, take them back to the room and attend to their needs, which is what any mother (or father) worth her salt should be ready, willing, and able to do! Babies cry because they need something. Very few of them "need" to be in a formal dining room being ignored by parents who are too busy enjoying their fine dining experience to notice their child is hungry, tired, overstimulated, wet, or poopy.:rolleyes:[/quote]

yes, i'm being as dramatic as those who say the dining room is for adults only!! that's all. the op did not describe a meltdown. he merely said the baby was fussy.

please let me make myself clear.

Children should not be banned from the dining room. It is not an adults only place. I'm all for adults only places.

Like i stated before, i'm a mom of 3 and a former daycare owner & operator and nanny. I'm pretty experienced with kids. But then i use common sense and manners...I also teach that to my children and expect the same from them. My kids have never been on a cruise with me. However, they have traveled with me and my dh many many times.

I have walked out of a theatre a time or two with my child for not being quiet.

I do not believe at the first sound a child makes should the child be removed and the parent left in exile. lol...a child can self soothe...hopefully and recover quickly. it's a great learning experience for them. of course any prolonged crying/tantrum etc. should be taken care of.

Parents need to use common sense, don't schedule dinner time at the late seating. If your child cannot wait that long until early dinner, give them a snack or have a snack waiting at the table when you arrive.

my biggest complaint about the op's original comment was stating that the dining room should be for adults only and i completely disagree with that! that's where my beef lies on this thread. a little fussiness is tolerable to anyone...or should be...we all need patience.

Let me be clear, i'm completely for parents removing a child for misbehaving or an extreme amount of crying. kids running around in any restuarant, unless it's mcdonalds play area is completely unacceptable and is unsafe!
"fussiness" and bawling/crying excessively, tantrums and running around are completely different. we all get a little fussy. most of us complain when we are fussy...babies cry. there's a difference in fussing and falling to pieces.

I don't think I would even bring a child on board till they were a bit older. Maybe nine or ten. If they don't take to that ship or to cruising it will be a long,miserable journey. I got terribly car sick as a child. It was an awful feeling. But, the car could always be pulled over and I could get out for a while. However, once you and those kids are on that ship you are on that ship. And as bad as it is for the parents and the other passengers it is worst for the child.
That's what Disney World is for. My granddaughter is 20 months old. I look forward to taking her on a vacation to Disney World but not until she is 4 or 5 years old. I would like to take her a cruise someday too, but I wouldn't think of it till she was 9 or 10. I would not even take her on a Disney cruise till she was that age.
Even then I'd probably take her a a short 3 day cruise first and see how it went.
BYW- we did go to Las Vegas with her when she was just a few months old. She was great on the plane and she was great everywhere we took her. So I'm not saying don't bring babies on trips. I just don't think being on a ship in the middle of no where is a good place for a vacation with little ones.:o

There are several problems with the current system. The "self-policing" one's self system isn't working. Even in this thread, there's a debate of when one should get up. Some people say 30seconds others have said three minutes. Based on other things I have read, I think the majority of the waitstaff doesn't want to get involved at the fear of losing tip money. If an official time of "X" minutes is set and the waitstaff is to enforce it, what do they do, have multiple stopwatches to monitor the time?

I fully agree that banning babies from the dinning room isn't the answer. I stand by my original proposal to have an adult only dining in addition to the current main dining room(s). If you add another rule, such as a strict formal dress code, any crybaby parents wouldn't want to go anyway. This would only keep out the drunk spring breakers.

Archived