Babies in the dining room

TnTnFlorida

I love babies as much as the next person, but if they are fussing, please remove them from the dining room. My brother brought his baby on our cruise in May, and if she was fussy, either her mom or dad took her back to the cabin for some quiet time or a nap. We just got off the Fascination this morning, and every night in the Imagination diningroom there was a baby who would start crying about 15-20 minutes into the meal. I was so grateful that we were two tables away, and not any closer. I found these parents to be rude and inconsiderate. When I had babies I didn't take them to adult places... I know things may be different now, but if they are fussing, be considerate to your fellow diners...please... and remove the crying baby!

wow, i can't imagine that.

babies cry, toddlers fuss.

i don't know when a dining room was ever considered adults only! in a movie theatre i would expect people to leave if their child misbehaved but in the dining room? throwing a fit/tantrum, yes, i could see leaving with the child for some discipline...but a baby crying! no way should they be expected to leave. if children do not start out at an early age learning how to behave properly, then you'll end up with an older kid misbehaving.

i certainly would not expect anyone to take their child out of the dining room for crying. it's a baby! you were actually one too once...and i bet you cried even in a dining room.

I do not mean to sound disrespectful. Just because we are on a ship and know there are babies, what is the difference if you went out to a resturant and there are babies in there. Are you going to make an announcement? I am a mother and my children are adults, I recently lost my daughter, what I would not give to have her back and hear cry. It would be wonderful to know that maybe there are ladies who hear this and maybe say a kind word to the parent. They can get just as frustrated themselves. I have said my two cents worth so go ahead and flame away. My hearts go out to all you mothers!! Jo:)

if children do not start out at an early age learning how to behave properly, then you'll end up with an older kid misbehaving.
How is letting a baby cry for 15-20 minutes straight teaching it to behave properly? :confused:

If they are crying that long they are likely tired or wet and need to go.

When my children cried in any restaurant or store or any public place, I removed them.

yeah..it's an inconvenience and lot of work and yes, I left carts full of groceries in supermarkets and left dinners in restaurants to get cold. But parenting is a lot of work and I understood that when I took on the huge responsibility of becoming a Mom.

OP I agree with you 100%. Babies will be babies. That doesn't mean that people eating a nice dinner out need to listen to my child wail. That's just bull.

I have to agree with OP - parents should have more consideration for their fellow diners. I absolutely understand that babies cry - but there is usually a reason they are crying even if it is just tension. To just let the baby fuss is probably as hard on the baby as it is on the rest of us. Sometimes a quick walk in a different environment will do the trick and then baby is ready to resume dinner.

But to expect your fellow diners to have the same patience & understanding as the parents is REALLY rude & inconsiderate.

I'm a mom of three, and I'm with OP. No, the dining room is not strictly an "adult" place - but if a baby is on a crying jag (not an occasional whimper - from what OP describes, it sounds like it was probably full-throttle wailing), it's uncomfortable for everyone. As for toddlers, there were any number of times when I left DH behind to pay the bill in a restaurant while I went out to the car with the tired/bored/cranky toddler. As for today? I have a nine year-old who wants to know when he can come to the supper club with us so he can have lobster and shrimp cocktail.:eek:

If a baby cries for more than 5 minutes than they should take them out of the dining room. Same thing if toddlers get tired and cranky, don't let them run around the tables, take them out. The MDR is not Mcdonalds. Yes children need to learn how to behave in a fancy restaurant but an infant is to young for that lesson, so are most 2 & 3 yr olds. That is why they have Camp Carnival, take the little ones there and enjoy your meal.

wow, i can't imagine that.

babies cry, toddlers fuss.

i don't know when a dining room was ever considered adults only! in a movie theatre i would expect people to leave if their child misbehaved but in the dining room? throwing a fit/tantrum, yes, i could see leaving with the child for some discipline...but a baby crying! no way should they be expected to leave. if children do not start out at an early age learning how to behave properly, then you'll end up with an older kid misbehaving.

i certainly would not expect anyone to take their child out of the dining room for crying. it's a baby! you were actually one too once...and i bet you cried even in a dining room.

Well, my parents never took me into a dining room when I was a baby (in the 40's, when we travelled by train. Mom kept me in the compartment.) When my five kids were babies, we got a sitter and enjoyed a nice restaurant dinner. When we cruised, we left them at home with Grandma. When my grandkids (2 1/2 and 6 mos.) were visiting this summer, I watched them while Mom and Dad had a nice dinner at Outback. Two weeks ago, several friends and I went to Red Lobster to celebrate a birthday, and two constantly crying babies and toddler siblings who ran around all over the place made it a pretty bad experience. The waitstaff politely kept trying to get the parents to move to a private room, but they refused. It was really awful (but we got free desserts). If you can afford Red Lobster, you can afford a BABYSITTER! Nobody thinks your kids are as cute as you think they are. It's just common courtesy to let Baby stay in a comfortable home environment. How do you teach a baby table manners? Really - Baby is much more comfortable at home!

The Voice of Experience

I agree 100% with the op remove your baby or toddler if they are crying or misbehaving. I was in a restraunt today and there were one or two toddlers letting out loud screams, a couple children running around and there was even one child about 6 standing up and lifting his chair as high as he could. You would think that I was in Mcdonalds in their playland the way the parents ignored this behavior.

When my babies were acrual babies (they still are in my eyes) I removed them from a restaurant when they were crying. We would walk or even take a drive. My food came home in a "doggy bag" sometimes too. i think it is rude to ruin peoples' meals around me. We were on a NCL cruise this summer and my Dad and I were in the dining room and we were near a baby and the baby cried and fussed for a while. Long while. Mom ate her meal (all courses) and then mixed the bottle and fed her baby. The people around us were all not happy and some were saying that is why I neve had kids and stuff like that. At first I felt bad for Mom, but when she finished her meal and let her daughter cry (who was obviously hungry) I was even upset. I am pretty easy going on the kids thing since I have 2 of my own, but this was just not right. My $.02. So I agree with the OP too!

I do not mean to sound disrespectful. Just because we are on a ship and know there are babies, what is the difference if you went out to a resturant and there are babies in there. Are you going to make an announcement? I am a mother and my children are adults, I recently lost my daughter, what I would not give to have her back and hear cry. It would be wonderful to know that maybe there are ladies who hear this and maybe say a kind word to the parent. They can get just as frustrated themselves. I have said my two cents worth so go ahead and flame away. My hearts go out to all you mothers!! Jo:)

I am so sorry for your loss,usnuzuloose. I hope you find peace in the memories of the giood times you had with your daughter.

I thin babies are as welcome on a cruise ship as any other passenger.

However, a parent who does not leave the dining room with a crying baby is horribly rude and inconsiderate. Unfortunately there are people who would rather keep eating their meal even if it means bothering lots of other people.

When I was a young parent and went out to eat (rare as it was) I would cringe when one of my children cried. One of us always took the child outside when that happened.

I don't think anyone should resent a crying child when the parent does the right thing, but I wish they should throw rotten tomatos at parents who remain at the table with a crying baby.

I also agree with the OP. An occasional wail, or small whimpering, is to be expected. But if a baby starts wailing, one of the parents should be getting the baby out of the dining room and calmed down. Maybe the baby will settle down after a short walk and the parent and baby can return...maybe not. But everyone else should not be subjected to a crying baby...or child...for more than a few minutes.

And toddlers (or small children) should not be allowed to run around. First of all the dining rooms are very small, and it's hard enough for waiters to move around the tables, and for passengers to move, without having a toddler under foot. Parents need to understand that toddlers can't be expected to sit still for a 1-1/2 to 2 hour meal...and so either trade off with someone to stay with your toddler in the cabin while you eat, or eat at a more casual quick venue.

Yes, it's unfortunate, and "unfair" -- you paid for your cruise, you should be able to eat in the main dining room. But we paid for our cruise, too..and it shouldn't include disruptions from unruly children and crying babies.

When my children cried in any restaurant or store or any public place, I removed them.

yeah..it's an inconvenience and lot of work and yes, I left carts full of groceries in supermarkets and left dinners in restaurants to get cold. But parenting is a lot of work and I understood that when I took on the huge responsibility of becoming a Mom.

OP I agree with you 100%. Babies will be babies. That doesn't mean that people eating a nice dinner out need to listen to my child wail. That's just bull.

I totally agree with Halos. I had 3 kiddos in 15 months. When they were babies, we would go to dinner at 4:30. If one of them cried, either DH or I would take them outside. There was even a time when we were traveling, we stopped at a hotel for the night and all 3 babies were screaming. I couldn't get them to calm down for anything. Long story short we packed up and left the hotel at 3am so we didn't disturb the other guests. I expect the same courtesy in public. If you baby/toddler is crying uncontrolably, you need to remove them from the public area. BTW, my babies are now 18, 16, and 16.

If a baby cries for more than 5 minutes than they should take them out of the dining room. Same thing if toddlers get tired and cranky, don't let them run around the tables, take them out. The MDR is not Mcdonalds. Yes children need to learn how to behave in a fancy restaurant but an infant is to young for that lesson, so are most 2 & 3 yr olds. That is why they have Camp Carnival, take the little ones there and enjoy your meal.

You and OP are absolutely correct.. When out to eat with our boys when they were babies or todders we would first of all go to "appropriate" family restaurants - you cannot expect a baby or little one to have the patience to wait for their meal. Either eat in the buffet or make other arrangements for your enjoyment and your child's sake, as well as for your fellow diners who by the way have spent just as much $$$ as you to dine in an "adult" atomoshere - Just common sense and being considerate of others.

I love babies as much as the next person, but if they are fussing, please remove them from the dining room. My brother brought his baby on our cruise in May, and if she was fussy, either her mom or dad took her back to the cabin for some quiet time or a nap. We just got off the Fascination this morning, and every night in the Imagination diningroom there was a baby who would start crying about 15-20 minutes into the meal. I was so grateful that we were two tables away, and not any closer. I found these parents to be rude and inconsiderate. When I had babies I didn't take them to adult places... I know things may be different now, but if they are fussing, be considerate to your fellow diners...please... and remove the crying baby!

Agreed, get them out if noisy!

I AGREE with the OP, I also would not have had a problem with going straight to the parents table after a reasonable amount of time and asking them to take the child out ....I go on vacation to enjoy myself and not to listen to crying babies, I never let my children ruin others dinner in a resturant and I wouldnt expect to have mine ruined either.

I also agree that a crying baby, or small child that is acting up should be allowed about 3 mins, just to see if they will settle in and be fine. I say 3 min. because that is about how long of an attention span you get for a three year old. What I don't understand today is why are these parents not prepared? I took my Babies, toddlers, kids, teens and now adults everywhere. At each stage there would have been, Prepared Bottles, baby food/cookies, or Crayons and book, We took our Grandson at age 4, 3000+ miles across the US on a plane & back, I had enough things for him to do, that the plane could have had 10 kids on it and all of them would have had something to do. And it all fit in a carry on bag with Snacks. Those who let there kids cause havoc, or extended crying because they want to finish their meal are selfish people, they are not looking after their own children in a way a responsible, loving, giving parent would, so why on earth do we think they care one ioda about our meal time... we will be Cruising with a baby one of these days, and I can tell you that Grandma will be the first to skip a meal if he or she is having issues with us eating in the MDR. Not that either of the parents wouldn't, they would...but that is just the way I roll, I want them to enjoy their meal too. Holding my Grandbabies to me is better than a fancy meal :p "Maitre d' I'll have mine to go please." What do you want to bet, he would be greatful to send me the best plate of food in the kitchen.:p

I should have added that 4 year old did not act up or cry for the full week of vacation, on the planes or off.

I AGREE with the OP, I also would not have had a problem with going straight to the parents table after a reasonable amount of time and asking them to take the child out ....I go on vacation to enjoy myself and not to listen to crying babies, I never let my children ruin others dinner in a resturant and I wouldnt expect to have mine ruined either.

LOL! Something tells me that would not be a good idea:p:D

I AGREE with the OP, I also would not have had a problem with going straight to the parents table after a reasonable amount of time and asking them to take the child out

While I'm sure most of us would LIKE to do that... remember... a person who would let that go on long enough to get you to say something is likely to be a low-class hick who thinks it's their ship and they will do what ever they please, and if you don't like it you can kiss where they sit.

The correct response is to snicker and point at them.

Archived