Chair Lounger well worth the money

We just got back from our second cruise with a balcony room. I remembered the whole time on our first cruise I wished I had a lounger on my balcony because it would be sooo much more comfortable. I had thought the whole time about asking my room steward but never did.

The first day on this cruise when I realized again how nice it would be to lounge and read a book on my balcony I went right in my room and wrote a note to the steward and left a $20 bill. I explained that he was free to take this money if he could somehow put a lounger on the balcony. Sure enough it only took a couple of hours and it was there. It was a nice new one too. I'm sure he might have done it for free but I thought the $20 was a nice bonus for him to treat us right the rest of the cruise and he did. Loved the lounger too it was awesome. Some might not like to be so cramped out there but I loved it.

Thought I would pass along the tip in case you had not thought about it before.

We just got back from our second cruise with a balcony room. I remembered the whole time on our first cruise I wished I had a lounger on my balcony because it would be sooo much more comfortable. I had thought the whole time about asking my room steward but never did.

The first day on this cruise when I realized again how nice it would be to lounge and read a book on my balcony I went right in my room and wrote a note to the steward and left a $20 bill. I explained that he was free to take this money if he could somehow put a lounger on the balcony. Sure enough it only took a couple of hours and it was there. It was a nice new one too. I'm sure he might have done it for free but I thought the $20 was a nice bonus for him to treat us right the rest of the cruise and he did. Loved the lounger too it was awesome. Some might not like to be so cramped out there but I loved it.

That sounds like a plan.... thanks for the idea. Not that it matters much but what ship were you on? I'll be on 11/29 Explorer and wondered if the balconies are the same size. Did they leave the other chair there so you still had a chair and the lounge?

Kim

Did something similar on our Freedom cruise in April. We tipped our room steward $20 the first day. Asked to keep our ice bucket full...she did and then brought us a second one. Then she brought us robes. AFter the 3rd day I asked her if there was an extra lounger she could bring. When i came back to the cabin there it was! The last day she brought US a bottle of champagne...I know someone left it behind on a previous cruise but it was so nice that she thought we deserved it! She really made our cruise special...so many little things.

That sounds like a plan.... thanks for the idea. Not that it matters much but what ship were you on? I'll be on 11/29 Explorer and wondered if the balconies are the same size. Did they leave the other chair there so you still had a chair and the lounge?

Kim

We were on the Mariner and he left the other two chairs, it was nice when we got room service to have more places to put stuff instead of that just the little table, it was cozy but worked with everything.

Why, that puts a whole new spin on the subject of chair hogging!!! Many of us thought that topic had been beaten to death but now we have a paradigm shift. Frankly, I think there aren't enough loungers by the pools in the first place so I'm not thinking this is such a good idea.

Lynda

I don't know why I didn't think of this before. The cruise lines should just assign a deck chair to everyone on board and leave them in your cabin when you arrive. Then whenever you want to go to the pool area or on deck to lay out you just bring your chair with you. See that, problem solved.....LOL

I don't know why I didn't think of this before. The cruise lines should just assign a deck chair to everyone on board and leave them in your cabin when you arrive. Then whenever you want to go to the pool area or on deck to lay out you just bring your chair with you. See that, problem solved.....LOL
Wow! A week or so ago there was a thread of people who thought carrying your own towel around was an excessive amount of work on vacation -- imagine if you told that bunch they'd have to tote their own chairs!

Did anyone say anything or try to stop you??? I know my last cabin was so far away from the pool, that I would have felt pretty uncomfortable dragging a chair that far all over the ship!

I've brought a lounger back to my cabin. No one said anything to me about it, although I did get a couple strange looks. I was in on the deck below the pool deck so it was just a matter of running up the stairs and getting one. I did wait until later in the evening after a show so the halls and stairs weren't crowded with people.

OMG...can you visualize what the elevators would be like!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks for the laugh!

Ok some clarification - is this a lounge chair which exists by the pool????? Thanks

Hey there - I asked for a lounge chair cause I like to nap in the afternoon on the balcony with a good book and tall drink - well it didn't cost me 20 dollars, but the steward got a good extra tip at the end of the cruise - I ask for one every time and have no problem getting one:)

I do think that if everyone took a lounger from the pool there would be a shortage, but I don't think that it will become a problem. I commend you for the nice tip to the steward, since dragging a lounger through the hall sounds like a pain!

• 1 year later...
what about bringing one of those fordable canvas lounge chairs on board. do you know if anyone has done this - might do it ourselves so when we do not use them they do not take up room

Hi!

Did you ever get an answer to this? (i'm thinking of it)

Did you bring your own? If so, how did it go?

Thanks

Linda

Wow! A week or so ago there was a thread of people who thought carrying your own towel around was an excessive amount of work on vacation -- imagine if you told that bunch they'd have to tote their own chairs!

On our very first cruise on Home Lines, we had assigned chairs. There was a nominal fee, and then everyone got a chair with a name tag on it. We didn't have to lug them around - they were set up in the area we chose.

Archived