Champage art auctions

sparkle56

I recall there being a thread about the cancellation of the arrangement between HAL and Parkwest who ran the art auctions. There was a lot in the media about how the art was being sold and the credibility of their sales pitch. Not sure if there is a new art arrangement. will let you know next month!!!

:D:D:D

and not all the art they auction has any value. All an artist has to do is change one color on a screen and he has now created another 100 original prints. Just look at the Peter Max prints on every cruise. And most of the sports memiorbillia is signed by employees of the packager.

It's not worth your time and money to waste it on getting a free glass of plonk.

I work in the arts and completely understand what you are saying m steve. But we just like to listen to the pitch, recognize it for what it is, and see the people who think money is no object when it comes to "art", and as I said before we usually buy something because it is a fun souvenir of the cruise. We bought one "mystery" print (couldn't see what it looked like, just had it described) and it is one of my favorite pieces in our home--a lovely Tuscan scene.

We like spending a bit of time and sometimes a bit of money attending these. . .and the free champagne is a fun perk. ;)

brucory, I await your answer next month!

According to this article Disney & Holland American have severed their relationship with Park West..Don't have any idea when it will end..

http://www.fineartadvocacy.com/articles/2009/03/disney-cruise-line-ends-relationship-with-park-west-gallery.php

A 2008 article in the N.Y. Times about Park West:

http://www.fineartadvocacy.com/articles/parkwest-class-action-suit.php

Betty

You can buy almost everything offered on board from a local gallery or framer. I have seen pieces in galleries around the country and contacted my local framer and he was able to buy and frame it for 1/2 what these professional showrooms offered the piece at. The same goes for on board art. Take a photo of what you like and when you return home shop it for the best price. And you don't have to sit thru the canned pitch on board or drink the crappy wine.

You can buy almost everything offered on board from a local gallery or framer. I have seen pieces in galleries around the country and contacted my local framer and he was able to buy and frame it for 1/2 what these professional showrooms offered the piece at. The same goes for on board art. Take a photo of what you like and when you return home shop it for the best price. And you don't have to sit thru the canned pitch on board or drink the crappy wine.

I agree about the art, for sure. However, I think this is missing the point. The art auction is a part of the on board entertainment for some.

:D:D:D

Bad wine, especially if it's free, is better than no wine!

Just wear some ear plugs and drink all you want.

I am going to have to disagree with this one. I'd rather not drink any wine than drink something nasty. Even more, I would rather pay money for good wine than drink bad wine for free. Either way, bad wine is just bad, especially when someone is trying to sell you overpriced art.

and not all the art they auction has any value. All an artist has to do is change one color on a screen and he has now created another 100 original prints. Just look at the Peter Max prints on every cruise. And most of the sports memiorbillia is signed by employees of the packager.

It's not worth your time and money to waste it on getting a free glass of plonk.

It's like watching paint dry.

Are these part of the HAL cruise experience?

We enjoy attending them, and occasionally buy something as a memory of that particular cruise. :rolleyes:

These are the most irritating events on a cruise, looking at worthless stuff for a cheap glass of sparkling...

Of course, you're right.

I was just looking at if from the "wino" point of view....and trying to suggest that the whole thing should go away....and maybe it has, according to recent reports.

I asked a simple question. m Steve, and some of the others on here, you have been entirely too unpleasant, and I might add judgmental, and there is no need for it.

What we choose to do on a cruise is our business, as it is your business to do what you wish when you sail.

I happen to think massages on the beach are one of the dumbest wastes of money ever but a lot of people enjoy them. Good for them--I am not going to lecture them about it. Enjoy! It's your time and your money and your cruise.

Cruise Critic is a place to get information, not to have complete strangers be rude.

To those of you who provided the answers to the original question in a civil manner, thank you.

Hi Sparkle...I enjoy the art auctions...I don't do the "refreshments"...Have several inexpensive prints I bought...I like them because they remind me of my cruises....If I get bored, I just get up and leave....go and enjoy:)

They are part of many cruislines experiences.:D:confused::p:rolleyes: I enjoy listening to auctioneers and a few of those on ships are pretty good. I don't really like cham., but sometimes drink it, except at these auctions, as it is usually horrible!

DW won a print "valued at $600" one time. We paid $35.00 to have it shipped home (less than the frame was worth!) and I showed it in my office for several years. Gave it to a friend who liked it when I moved my office.

Purely entertainment and while the champagne is usually warm, I can buy my own drinks. But I enjoy the Art History 101 class and the energy of the (commissioned) auctioneers. I purchased one inexpensive picture for purely sentimental reasons 3 years ago and it remains unframed, hidden behind my sofa in the packaging in which I took it off the ship. No regrets. Hubby goes to Bingo, Sis and I go to the art auction. I'll miss it on our Panama Holiday cruise if it truly has been discontinued.

I wasn't being rude to you. I just think people should realize that the wine is crappy as is most of what they"auction". You may spend your money any way you like and with luck you might buy something that wasn't one of a thousand and has intrinsic value. I don't do massages on the beach. It takes away my drinking time enjoying REAL champagne.

Archived