suggestion on making printed tags tear proof

thrusday

It is unfortunate that Princess has decided to once again associate itself with its sister company Carnival!One would like to think that Princess was attempting to boost its level of service and conveniences to compete with other cruise lines such as RCCL & Celebrity.Instead,it has decided to inconvenience guests with this petty nonsense.I'm so pissed,I'm tempted to cancel my travel plans and book with a superior cruise line.

P.S.

When I spoke with a Princess representative they said this was all "nonsense"!When I called back to confirm they said this is a new program they are rolling out.The representative said that when you print out the luggage tags that there are instructions.It may read like this:

1.Once you have printed your luggage tags on your printer (assuming you have one),next-

2.Get in your car and drive to Walmart.

3.Decide if you wish to purchase a)clear packing tape,b)plastic laminate and/or c)sturdy poster board

4.You will also need something to attach the tag once you have assembled.Decide if you prefer twist ties,heavy duty rubber bands or plastic cord.

5.Now that your back home,its time to construct your luggage tags.

6.Cut out six luggage tags.

7.Lay piece of tape on hard surface sticky side up.

8.Lay one tag on top of tape.

9.Place a second piece of tape over existing tape/tag.

10.If you would like to use the "color option",cut out piece of colorful poster board that you have chosen which is 1 inch larger than the luggage tag in width & length.

11.Use more packing tape to attach to poster board.

12.Punch hole in tag (if you have a hole punch) otherwise, use a phillips screwdriver.

13.Attach rubberband or securing device.

14.REPEAT PROCESS AS OFTEN AS NECESSARY!

This is our first time on Princess - but if all the cruisers have your attitude, it may be way too pretentious for us...

We have been cruising Carnival for years - you print them off at home (and yes - they allready have your info and cabin numbers on them), fold and staple. We must have done this 25 or 30 times (3 cruises - 6 - 8 bags each time) and not ONCE have we lost a tag. We even do our carryons (just in case we misplace them on the trip - MAYBE someone will return them). It takes all of 5 min per trip.

Saves the company money, saves postage, AND helps the environment (no shipping packaging for landfills, or emissions wasted on planes and trucks) to get me a tag I can easily print at home.

FYI - all the laminating, color board, etc is not needed. If you fold the tag in thirds it will be VERY strong. test one - see how much effort it takes to break it off....much more than a rubber band or twist tie.

Sorry to break it to you, but the airlines are already doing this... I flew from Vancouver to Ottawa a couple of weeks ago and printed my own baggage tag from a kiosk at the airport, then dropped my bag on a conveyor belt and headed through security. It sure beat the heck out of standing in line with 90 other people. :)

The Kiosk at the airport printed them on regular paper?

Where did you find all the materials to laminate them at the airport? :confused:

This is our first time on Princess - but if all the cruisers have your attitude, it may be way too pretentious for us...

We have been cruising Carnival for years - you print them off at home (and yes - they allready have your info and cabin numbers on them), fold and staple. We must have done this 25 or 30 times (3 cruises - 6 - 8 bags each time) and not ONCE have we lost a tag. We even do our carryons (just in case we misplace them on the trip - MAYBE someone will return them). It takes all of 5 min per trip.

Saves the company money, saves postage, AND helps the environment (no shipping packaging for landfills, or emissions wasted on planes and trucks) to get me a tag I can easily print at home.

FYI - all the laminating, color board, etc is not needed. If you fold the tag in thirds it will be VERY strong. test one - see how much effort it takes to break it off....much more than a rubber band or twist tie.

Hate to disappoint you,but Princess will continue to "MAIL" cruise docs to guest.The fact that they are omitting the luggage tags is "CHEAP & STUPID"!I never put the tags on until I reach the airport at the port!Putting them on before then may cause them to become damaged or destroyed.It would figure that "CARNIVAL" customers think this is an acceptable way of providing luggage tag service to its clients.

I think this is a good idea. If I check in on line, then print everything and be done with it. Shore excusions on line make more sense. I hope Princess adds dinner reservations.

BTW Celebrity won't be doing it for long, RCI stopped sending them if you do the internet package verse mailed documents and you have to pick up your tags at the pier (pita).

What I would recommend is getting clear, plastic luggage tags at the luggage or office supply store and slip in the tag for each cruse. That way they won't fall off and you can re-use it over and over with out the need for construction papaer or laminating. Easy, cheap and re-usable. Also put them on after you reach your embarcation airport.

BTW, some airlines are experimenting with it too. Talk about lost luggage.

thank you every one ive decided to use the tape and put it on at the pier because we are flying into long beach the day of the cruise . which is from sacramento . anyway we are down to 62 days and still no cruise documents in the mail , i dont believe they are coming yes im sailing decemeber 7th on coral so again thanks every one they are printed and ready to go i do like it , no hand printing they are all filled out with name cabin number and even a bar code. and yes it also shows the letter AP which i know that is aft port side lol again thanks again , enjoy

The Kiosk at the airport printed them on regular paper?

Where did you find all the materials to laminate them at the airport? :confused:

Adhesive backed - just like the ones that the airline reps print out for you when you check bags. Preprinted with my flight number, destination airport code, e-ticket number, surname and number of pieces. You just peel off the backing and slip it around you luggage handle & press the ends together. There is a perforated end that you rip off & keep as your luggage receipt. Easy!;)

idjaffe, please allow me to be the first (of many) to say that the majority of Princess cruisers do not have this attitude. :rolleyes: I'm with you, I don't mind doing it myself if it's more economical and sustainable.

They do not appear as if they are likely to tear, as long as you follow the instructions and fold them over, (they are clearly marked in the instructions "do not cut"), you can print them out with colour ink and they look good.....if you don't want to waste the colour ink...just print them in b/white....as long as the info is there if your bags are delayed when they do arrive at the scheduled airport it will be clear which voyage they belong on and will hopefully catch up with you. I printed one out in b/w just to see the instructions and try it....just on regular copier paper...............pretty durable.

If they're still sending out the Cruise Answer book etc., then why not the luggage tags? It's not that much of a stretch. Reeks of cheapness, IMHO. :rolleyes:

Exactly my point too.

As for the airlines requiring you to "print your own luggage tags" at the airport...that's a far, far cry from printing your own tags at home, on standard paper, and then folding and laminating and stapling. All this talk truly reminds me of a grade school art project.

As far as sustainability...don't get me started on all the empty printer cartridges being generated from home printing. Surely Princess's printers have a way to print luggage tags in a manner that is much more eco-friendly.

I was very glad to finally hear from a Carnival cruiser who has experienced the luggage tag subject. I thank you for your post. And by the way I will second that not all of Princess cruisers are pretentious like some on this thread. One poster keeps saying that cruise documents are mailed to us. There is NO CRUISE DOCS ANYMORE. You simply print your boarding pass and that is it. Now we will just have to print the luggage tags and get on with life. I certainly do not think it is "cheap and stupid". It was just a matter of time.

Marilyn

I was very glad to finally hear from a Carnival cruiser who has experienced the luggage tag subject. I thank you for your post. And by the way I will second that not all of Princess cruisers are pretentious like some on this thread. One poster keeps saying that cruise documents are mailed to us. There is NO CRUISE DOCS ANYMORE. You simply print your boarding pass and that is it. Now we will just have to print the luggage tags and get on with life. I certainly do not think it is "cheap and stupid". It was just a matter of time.

Marilyn

Now - if we can just get the cruise lines to stop printing all those photos that no-one buys....

Probably one of the biggest waists in the industry. On today's modern ships there are such better ways to do this.....like the card that you can scan at a kiosk to see your photos and purchase right then....OR the photos could be sent electronicaly to your interactive tv in your stateroom....go through them, pick the ones you like, hit purchase....and they are delivered the next day!

But I digress - this is, afterall, a stream about luggage tags :/

If they're still sending out the Cruise Answer book etc., then why not the luggage tags? It's not that much of a stretch. Reeks of cheapness, IMHO. :rolleyes:

I suspect the cruise answer book and shore excursion will be the next thing to go. Though I miss all the nice ticket evnvelopes, I don't think it's that big of a deal.

I recently sent a couple of clients off on Holland America and there are no mailed documents anymore - everything from the boarding pass, the terms and conditions, the luggage tags and even the personalized shore excursion brochure had to be printed off.

For folks without a computer, the task of doing all this is going to fall to their travel agent (oh goody!) but it's actually not that bad because it gives the agent a chance to review all the documentation and still get it out to the client in a timely manner.

For folks who are not comfortable with all this, there is always the luggage tags at the pier - analogous to the luggage tags issued at the airport for airlines. No fuss, no muss, no laminating required. :D

Today in the mail, I received a package including the Cruise Answer Book, 6 (blank) self adhesive luggage tags [since our stateroom hasn't been determined yet], a hard copy listing of tours in each port for our tour of Panama embarking on 11/20.

The color denotes the ship and the F or A signifies whether they use the fore or aft elevators to reach your cabin.

Mike:)

Now I'm really confused. We are sailing on the Sapphire Oct. 17th and our cabin is C219. Our luggage tags have an A on them. Doesn't that refer to aft - the back of the ship? :confused: Hoping our luggage doesn't get lost in the shuffle. First time Princess cruisers. :)

this is what ours looks like to give you all what i was talking about its not a big deal to print i was just wandering how to keep them from ripping off the lugage i got it so again ill use the tape method easy simple and ok with that thanks for the answers

Archived